Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
skeelo221 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
TC125 falling on it's face - timing?

Hello,

I picked up a 1972 TC125 last year that was in mint condition. It's an awesome bike and I love riding it! Sadly, I don't know much at all about 2 strokes. Here's whats happening:

The bike falls on it's face when I give it more than 1/2 or 3/4 throttle at any RPM. It sounds like it's bogging down (like when it's running out of gas). This reaks of a carburation issue to me so I took about the carb and cleaned everything but I didn't see anything wrong (especially a clogged main). What's also strange is that it will fall on it's face in the same manner even under very slight throttle opening as the revs get above ~6k rpm indicated. Rev counter shows 9k redline I believe.

So, it seems like it's both throttle position and RPM based. No idea what it could be other than timing which I think I would have to take into the shop cause I know nothing about setting timing.

Any help would be appreciated!
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Try fitting new points and condenser, if you are 100% certain the carb is completely clean.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
skeelo221 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thanks for your reply!

One more thing to add is that it happened "all of a sudden." I was riding the bike almost daily with no issues and then this started happening suddenly one day - so not like it was sitting in a barn for years and the carb had time to collect varnish.

What tools do you need to pull the flywheel on these bikes? Is there a specific flywheel puller that you need or can you do it with standard hand tools?

Also what should the point gap be on these motors (sorry I don't have a manual)

skeelo221 screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 10:11 AM
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
You need a flywheel puller, and ideally an air gun to remove the flywheel nut. Without a gun you are going to need something to stop the flywheel turning, when you undo the nut with a ratchet.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote