ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Tudelum48 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Trouble Updating Maps on a 550 Nuvi

Need a little help guys. I bought CN 2012 on DVD and have tried to put it on my Nuvi 550 via a PC. When loading the dvd the program bootstraper comes up and with the Nuvi plugged in it recognizes the Nuvi on the program. It walks me through all the steps including the code and all goes well.
When i turn the Nuvi on unplugged from the PC I scroll through the touch screen until I get to maps and it says it still has CN 2010 and that only and not the CN 2012?
Everything acts as it should except it just doesnt show up on the Nuvi?
OK what stupid mistake am I making?
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Tudelum48 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Well i was assuming that I could update my whole Nuvi with this? I have used mapinstall and got much of it to load. But was hoping that It would just update all my CN map set.
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
So can you update the maps on a Nuvi 550? I'm considering replaing my 2610 with a Nuvi 550. I'd update City Navigator on the PC to match the version in the Nuvi but may want to update both in the future. Is this possible?
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Oddometer: 62
Updating Maps on Garmin Nuvi 550

Hello Littlefield,

Yes, you can update the maps on the Nuvi 500/550 easily.

Have owned the Nuvi 550 and Zumo 220. Both are the similar devices in size and feel. Side by side they are indistinguishable. However, the Zumo 220 is designed for motorcycles and includes the mounting hardware and corresponding O.S. improvements and other features. If you are considering using this while riding, would suggest the Zumo 220. About $100 difference but well worth it in the longrun. If one runs out of space on any current or future map upgrade, just purchase a 4GB or larger SD card and insert it in the slot. Will free up internal space on the GPS.

When you purchase any new City Navigator Maps, ensure that you buy the lifetime map updates either included new with the device or as an add on. The maps for the device are here

If you purchase any one of these three, choose the DVD. However, it should be noted that this is no longer an issue as if you have the latest maps on the device (either through Lifetime Maps downloaded to the device or an SD card) Garmin Basecamp recognizes the map on the device and imports it once the device is plugged in and recognized. The advantage is you no longer need the resident map on your PC as it imports it once the device is connected. The map is then view able and workable in Basecamp.

However, for map planning without the GPS device plugged in, you would need a resident copy on your PC so you can create any custom maps and then send them over once the device is plugged in. DVD would be the choice here. Garmin should be releasing the Garmin Zumo 220 with lifetime maps if they follow suit with their other devices.

@Tudelum 48
When you installed the DVD maps to your PC, its likely that the whole map wasn't pushed to the GPS as there wasn't sufficient space for it. The maps stayed on your PC but couldn't duplicate that info on the GPS. You ran into the common problem of insufficient space on the GPS so when you had to select states or regions, the device was full and couldn't handle the new map size. FYI - The maps gain in size with each update. Purchase a 4GB SD card for the GPS, load the maps to it while plugged in to the GPS / PC and problem solved. Call Garmin Tech Support if needed and they will walk you through it or remotely log in to your PC in difficult situations.

Further information available in the GPS Ready Room if you need some more info.

Good luck and happy riding.

River Pilot Tours
Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
PH: (01) 307-222-6347
E: tours@riverspilot.com
Web: www.riverspilot.com
Store: http://www.riverspilot.com/Store
River Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote