ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,183
Monarch Crest trail

We are a lowly band of pig riders i.e. KLR650's and someone in our group said let's ride the Monarch Crest trail, so I did some searching, but nothing real informative, so I asking you FFs. All the info I found is MTB focused, which is not real comforting to me on a 400lb pig. Are we crazy to even thing this on a KLR? We are moderate riders who have survived Caribou, Rollins, Jones pass, and West Magnolia on the Front range if that helps.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
For some reason I thought MC is just MTB, hiking, horse.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 473
Thanks to people like Stan Simpson of the AMA and others at the TPA, the "crest trail" (a world class section of the CDNST) is still open to MOTOs.

One of the most amazing(if not the most) amazing singletracks of the local area. Other than a couple of moderate swicthbacks and a short climb or two, I would consider it lower-moderate difficullty. The hardest part about it is focasing on the trail instead of watchin the scenery play out below and around you. Just dont ride it on a saturday or sunday morning, as you will have to share it with 500 or so pissed off MTBs(they believe that they own ALL the trails here). weekdays and evenings are fair game though.

I would ride it on a 650, but thats me . . .

Now paging Ramz! Now paging Hayduke! please pick up the nearest blue phone . . .
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,530
Several of us have done it on 950 enduros. A couple of guys that I know did it on a GS. The trail is not hard. The slopes are steep. If you take the turnoff to Agate creek you will have a great ride down with quick flowing creek at the bottom to cross.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackslayer View Post
Thanks to people like Stan Simpson of the AMA and others at the TPA, the "crest trail" (a world class section of the CDNST) is still open to MOTOs.

One of the most amazing(if not the most) amazing singletracks of the local area. Other than a couple of moderate swicthbacks and a short climb or two, I would consider it lower-moderate difficullty. The hardest part about it is focasing on the trail instead of watchin the scenery play out below and around you. Just dont ride it on a saturday or sunday morning, as you will have to share it with 500 or so pissed off MTBs(they believe that they own ALL the trails here). weekdays and evenings are fair game though.

I would ride it on a 650, but thats me . . .

Now paging Ramz! Now paging Hayduke! please pick up the nearest blue phone . . .

Crest would be fine on KLR's; But don't go down Agate!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
For some reason I thought MC is just MTB, hiking, horse.
Great fun on a moto!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Stephenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I think it would be fun - I rode it on the MTB this past July.

It's a beautiful view - definitely tight single track, but not technical really. During RMAR 2011 we rode part of it on our way back to Saguache.

Don't go down Fooses either (the CO Trail Turnoff) - same reasons as Agate. If you do ride it on a Saturday or Sunday - the shuttle times are 8am and 10am, possibly a noon shuttle as well. www.monarchcrest.com. If you look at their schedules, you can see when the flood of bikers will be. So, I would say that if you can enter the trail at 7am - you wouldn't encounter very many bikes.
Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote