ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #46
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Camping Fort Kaskaskia State Park

I'll be leaving late this morning (Thursday 11-8-12) for Fort Kaskaskia State Park (Just a few miles North of Chester, Illinois) and will set up camp and be there all weekend and probably won't pack up till Monday morning.
I'm hauling my motorcycle and bicycle to the park.
Might be the last weekend for warm weather.

Hoping to ride every day all day long----have fun around the campfire at night.

If anyone wants to join me-------that's fine-------------however.....................
Saturday -------I'll be riding my bicycle all day with some friends coming down.
Bicycle----that's them things with 2 wheels that ain't got no motor

Other than that day I'll be riding my motorcycle Thursday, Friday and Sunday.
Well----------that's the plan anyway.

You all are welcome to come camp with me----I've got a few lies (actually stretched truths) to tell.

Probably bring my chain saw and my geetar-----I can play but can't sing----singers welcome

If someone needs to call me my cell is 618-246-4821

the "BigDog"

Bad news--------that huge shelter in the State Park that overlooks the Mississippi burned down a few days ago--what a shame----the campground is open tho------I asked.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 04:20 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #47
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Yea, heard 'bout the fire, hope they make the aholes pay, and fire the ranger that allowed them to build a fire so close. May try to hook up, I have an all day loop that goes right by there. But I probably can't show the Big Dog nuttin. You do know 'bout Klondike Rd right? Friday and Sunday and even Monday I'm free.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #48
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Yea, heard 'bout the fire, hope they make the aholes pay, and fire the ranger that allowed them to build a fire so close. May try to hook up, I have an all day loop that goes right by there. But I probably can't show the Big Dog nuttin. You do know 'bout Klondike Rd right? Friday and Sunday and even Monday I'm free.
Great come around camp and we'll do something or call me. 618-246-4821
I should be there about noon.

The ranger told me the fire was an accident------------yeh-----I bet you can show me something---it will be all good no matter.

If I've been on Klondike---------I don't remember it------you can show me !!!

I'm out the door Sieg.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #49
Wibbs
TopNotchTurdHerder

Oddometer: 14
Ride Saturday DWTHUMP

I might be able to join you on Saturday DWTHUMP, where you thinking about heading to?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #50
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

BigDog & I are leaving from his camp @ 9AM tomorrow, for a 150 miles or so of dirt and gravel.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #51
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Talked to big dog he said i could tag along. Hope that is ok. Tomorrow should be perfect riding weather.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #52
dwthump OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Saturday Ride

I must apologize as something else came up today that I have to do on Saturday so I won't be riding. You guys should still go on the ride, it's supposed to be 75! There's still fall foilage to be seen as well.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #53
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1098 View Post
Talked to big dog he said i could tag along. Hope that is ok. Tomorrow should be perfect riding weather.
Yep, come along, that's why I posted it. Just GPS'd it, 100 miles.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #54
dwthump OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Fort Kaskaskia-Big Dog

I had a free morning on Sunday so I needed to go for a ride. The weather was supposed to start turning bad around 3 so I knew it had to be short. The wind was pretty bad, out of the south so I headed down to Chester to have it at my back on the return trip. As I passed the sign for Fort Kaskaskia I remembered reading that Big Dog was camping there for the weekend so I popped by. It looked like everyone went riding so I left a note. It's too bad that the pavillion burnt down on Halloween, I've used it many times and the view is great.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #55
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Camp Ride---Kaskaskia State Park--Illinois

Me, sieg, And Brad1098 had an awesome ride over the weekend on Friday.
Us 3 rode all day long on a route that Sieg had laid out and took me and Brad on so many little dirt roads that I had never been on. We found several old bridges and a mudhole---------I was hopin' Brad would post a picture when I buried my Husky in a mudhole. It was a full days ride and I was reminded how good an off road rider Sieg is.
He danced around on that little WR250R like a ballerina---while me and Brad kind of wallered around.
Then he rides about 1/4 miles down a railroad------rides over a tressell----then another 1/4 mile till he hit's a road crossing so he can get out of the railroad---------me and Brad looked at it and just chickened out. We watched from the highway---my knees were knocking just thinking about it.

Saturday friends came down and we rode our bicycles from the state park to Fort De Charters and back---------in a strong headwind---what don't kill you makes you stronger they say ------47 miles ------I think

Sunday another friend came down on his KLR and we rode all day long and just got back to camp when the rain came.

And yes -----------I found your note DWThump.

It was a superb weekend and I ran it full tilt to the end------and each nite I asked myself---"Did I do all I could do today" ???
"Yes--------I did"

We burnt up a 1 ton truck of firewood that was given to us and kept the fire going all night.
And cooked breakfast ever ymorning at camp----------and dinner at camp.

Sieg took us down one of those dirt roads that's posted "No Travel When Wet" to this old bridge.

Made this guy a happy camper.

Then Brad takes me on a hike thru the woods to a bridge he knew was there---but hadn't seen in 20 years.
It was still there !!!!

Super lousy picture----------I was zoomed way in---but we saw 2 bald eagles---and they took flight right as I took this picture.

And as we were leaving Fort Kaskaskia in the rain ----------I took this picture of the burnt pavilion.
It's going to cost about 1/4 million dollars to build it back like it was. All from someone who was careless with a trash container and their fire

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:37 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #56
Themastermike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
tressel

Was that the tressel to get you from Klondike on the south across the Kaskaskia? I always wanted to complete that little loop but haven't done it yet.
Themastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #57
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themastermike View Post
Was that the tressel to get you from Klondike on the south across the Kaskaskia? I always wanted to complete that little loop but haven't done it yet.
No it wasn't on Klondike road------------that's where I buried my Husky in a mudhole.
We did go to that tressel too------just off of Klondike road.

The Tressel he rode over was on the Kaskaskia river with Baldwin power house in plain view--- to the Northeast.
Just North of route 154-------------it's a dead track. He said he's done that 200 times----fast way to work.
You can see me and Brad's chicken tracks around the tressel.
I wish I took a picture of him doing that from the highway-------he was on a bike like mine--a helmet like mine---I could have lied and said it was me

Don't even think about going down Klondike road if it's muddy.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:56 PM
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #58
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themastermike View Post
Not this time, but I have crossed that trestle back in the day on a DT250 with my wife following on a TC185. The one at Baldwin doesn’t have much traffic but the one at Roots (Klondike) has a lot of trains on it, and the road around is more interesting anyway. If you want to run the loop BigDog & Brad rode with me let me know. Someday I’ll get him to cross that trestle, I know he wants too, hell a girl can do it.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #59
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Would like some tracks if one of you don't mind sharing. Always up for a local ride.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #60
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Evergreen Rd.

Big Dog knows how to wear the new off.

Breakin it in right on Klondike Rd.

Had a great day fellas. Lets do it again sometime. I rode a whopping 158 miles in exactly 8 hours The fat chick was pushed about as hard as I wish to do on Anakee IIs. Big Dogs spill only saved me from doing the same.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote