User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,249
2006 - Year of the 'Mostro

According to the Chinese calendar, 2006 is supposed to be the year of the Dog. Too bad for them I only have a kick-ass MotoGP calendar and according to it 2006 is to be the year of the 'Mostro!

Due to a few tough decisions and some unforeseen circumstances, I found myself under-employed. The new career path I had chosen fell through in January so I had a decision to make, pound the pavement in my daddy's wing tips looking for a new line of work, or pound some pavement with two tires, anywhere and everywhere I possibly could.

Hmmm...

The decision wasn't all that hard to make

I know everyone is waiting for my WARP ride report, but I'm going to have to start at the beginning, so hang with me, we'll get there eventually

I'm going to put all my '06 travels in here. A one stop shop for all things 'Mostro.

Let the games begin!

ilmostro screwed with this post 05-01-2006 at 04:28 PM
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

The first ride was uneventful and undocumented. I rode the GS to ATL to leave it with MonkeyButt. The plan was, if I pretended to store the bike at his house while I prepared to move, he would be temepted to leave the Bar and Shield brand and come take a ride on the wild side and join the GS crew.

My plan failed in 2 ways. 1) MonkeyButt, although willing, was unable to make the purchase happen, and 2) I should have never sold the bike

Fello ADV'er Mudpuppy stepped up to the plate and took my GS back to the sandbox republic. I miss the hell out of the bike but i know it is in good hands and will be well looked after. Thanks Paul

With the GS gone it was time for a new steed. I decided to see how the old folks live and picked up an '06 R1200RT from Bobby at BMW ATL.

The original pick up Ride Report is here and for those of you that re too lazy to go and look at it...

Broken. In three states.

Broken in, that is...

On Wednesday I picked up my new whip in Atlanta with the intentions of breaking it in over the next two days. I'd planned to swing back for the first service on Friday before heading off for Memfiss and home.

Sadly it pissed rain on Wednesday and with drivers in the ATL being extra bad when the percipitation begins to fall, I was only able to get 80 miles in.

Todays forecast called for light rain in the morning and clearing in the afternoon. It was on

Popped into TWO. No one was home.

Stopped by an overlook for a few glamour shots.

Bridal falls was unoccupied on a Thursday. Whoda thunked it?

More Glamour shots.

Stopped by the Gap.

Doode came out of the store and tells me to get in the picture.

Turned out to be Mr. F He invited me into the store. They'll be open for bidness on Monday (also shown is Mr. X)

Obligitory ovelook shots...

So while some folks got to spend their Thursday looking at the walls of their cube, I got to see North Carolina

Tennessee

And Georgia of course

I'm not sure about the bike, but I think the tires are almost broken in...

Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Keep it coming big boy.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
looks good!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,852
Old 05-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,326
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

With a clear schedule, a new bike it was time to point the wheels southward for the first ADV event of the season. Well maybe not the first but it is easily one of the best... Kamp Kraut in Daytona.

Every year Krautbikeman opens his home to fellow ADV'rs in search of sun, fun and the sights and sounds that only Bike Week in Daytona can bring.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck

You just wait...
Old 05-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
With a clear schedule, a new bike it was time to point the wheels southward for the first ADV event of the season. Well maybe not the first but it is easily one of the best... Kamp Kraut in Daytona.

Every year Krautbikeman opens his home to fellow ADV'rs in search of sun, fun and the sights and sounds that only Bike Week in Daytona can bring.
Every year up to this one, you mean?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
You just wait...
Uh oh...
Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

It was nice to head to Daytona without being pressed for time for a change. I was under-employed so I headed out at the butt-crack of dawn.

There's something very soothing about watching the sun rise from the seat of a moto.

I took the direct route south. Headed through MS into AL. Through Birmingham (flipping off Kendralina90210) I-20 to ATL then south on I-75. I have been this way at least a dozen times. Not much to see, we were just looking to make time.

They finally have the 4 lane section of 78 open from Hamilton to Jasper AL. Saved some time but it seems Garmin hasn't gotten the memo yet.

It tried to re-route me for 10 minutes before it finally gave up.

There wasn't much to do as the sun set on us just south of the GA/FL border, so the camera made another appearance.

We finally made it to SeaHunts house in Gainesville in time for pizza and beer!

A garage full of motos. What a beautiful sight

ilmostro screwed with this post 07-22-2007 at 04:53 AM
Old 05-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
That's a nice looking bike.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #14
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Thursday broke bright and beautiful so it was time to take some glamour shots of the RT next to the pasture.

I took the back way to Daytona. It was the first year that Destination Daytona was open and my route went right past it. What a cluster fuck. There will have to be a re-route next year to make sure I don't go anywhere near that place

I got to Kamp Kraut early and had our pick of the camp sites. I secured my favourite spot over in the corner, away from the pool and close to a good spot to pee in the middle of the night.

It's just not home without the flamingos.

I saddled up to head to the bike show and check out the new bikes and vendor area. Made it half way up the road and spy a red KLR with Dork Smurf mounted on top of it. No one else in Daytona (or elsewhere for that matter) would be dressed so garishly, it must be Data Daddy.

I hung a quick bitch and chased him down.

As he set up his tent, I eyed his trusty steed. Have I mentioned how cheap KLR owners are?

ilmostro screwed with this post 02-24-2007 at 08:10 AM
Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

With DD in tow we headed back off to the track to check out the vendor area. We were in luck! Turns out Honda had brought an Internet Legend to introduce the '06 919

I kick back to style and profile as only I can on the Yammie Morpheus

The Baja winner.

The first, but certainly not the last, fashion faux pas of the event.

What on earth was BMW thinking?!?

(actually, I think I know what they were thinking. Bad BMW! Bad!)

Notice the death grip on the camera bag. After losing it last year at Daytona, I wasn't going to let that happen again. Big thanks to the AMA museum for getting it back to me safe and sound

ilmostro screwed with this post 02-24-2007 at 08:11 AM