Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb

Hipster! Me to man, it feels great!

Ginger Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygfw View Post
The real world.....love it
Hey Paddygfw. Yes, it's beautiful isn't it, even more so because it worked. I knew people would see this.

On with more ‘real world’ stuff, OFY!

===============================================

Back on track, the repair only cost me an hour.

A sign like this is usually a good indication of an interesting route.

The “oldest Indian trail in South Dakota” it runs from Pierre South Dakota to the Bad Lands. What a score, I just ran across it. I must do it!

The trail heads south along the western side of the Missouri river, nothing but great.

The gravel road runs through a little town that has a large rodeo type structure in the center. I thought a fair or something special was going on but it’s just a normal town round-up.

The place is a buzz with riders, most looking like they are still in grade school. What a great way to raise kids. I grew up with girl who had horses, I thought they were so cool.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net

cavebiker screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 06:02 PM Reason: go big
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Cool2

It is getting late but I’m here to take pictures and this is the kind of lighting that cannot be passed up.

Its been a hard ride and I missed the perfect Badlands lighting by maybe twenty minutes, I’m just miles before the park. Maybe next time.

My tent gets set up in the dark but I have been here before so I know the perfect spot, just a mile from Interior South Dakota, in the heart of the Badlands.

The Wagon Wheel Bar is right next door, interesting and fun as always.

I tried to sleep as long as I could, yesterday was long day. I sleep good in a tent after a long days ride.

Great weather for a ride today, it looks like there are dirt roads that lead through the backside of the Badlands. I plan to meet up with my friend Don and his new bride who are on a ride. I told them I would show them a little town in South Dakota that has some fun bars and a cool main street.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Cool2

Interior feels like it has been invaded my motorcycles. I just need to chill out for a second and look at a map

Back road into the badlands.

There is almost zero traffic on this road.

I did meet three other dual-sport riders, they looked like BMW GS bikes. I retuned their waves with the ADV salute but they were either not ADV inmates or I caught them by surprise.

The Badlands are not as dramatic here as they are on the main paved roads but they are Bad all the same, and I prefer this type of riding more.

I will have to spend days here sometime staging with a tripod waiting for sunrises and sunsets. Mid-day sun does not due justice here.

Badlands South Dakota, always a good ride.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker View Post
Caveman you're not normal - I like that
Great pic. First pics i've ever seen of South Dakota.
Enjoying your RR
rock on!
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

The landscape is more varied here compared to the paved road.

Bad water is good

I reached my friend Don on the phone, he and his new bride just finished checking in near Rapid City. Our plans were setup before the ride and they will still work (I can’t believe it), meet at a shade tree ten miles north of Rapid City. I didn’t realize it was a dirt road, their riding an old Road King. I wait and wait, its 95 degrees. I wonder if they turned back at the dirt road or what. But its a good shade tree and the only one within miles, I’m good.

cavebiker screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 06:14 PM
Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Eek

The dirt road running from Rapid City to Sturgis. My friend Don and Stef handle the dirt no problem.

This is better then riding the freeway any day

It looks like an RV convention.

Oh, its the Buffalo Chip. Who knows, I may be camping here tonight.

Sorry, but this thread is about to go into the trash. But hang on, it won’t last long.

But first I gotta show Don and Stef this little bar I’ve been telling them about, its hard to miss.

I knew this but the arrow must mean this is the way to go, OK!

Right away, another biker wants to take my photo. OK

Then she rides off. Say what!

The newly weds, what a fun couple, and Don is into bikes big time, he has a couple Italian motorcycles that he loves “but not for two-up” he says. Smart man.

I’ve been here several times in the past and I always park here, in front of AngieLand.

Angie says “Hi! How ya doing?, Its been a while”

Its nice to see old friends. A photo of Angie is one of my all time top photos on smugmug.

I know some people hate Sturgis but I have no problem with it. I’ve been here less then an hour and I’ve already meet new friends. But I still wish cavegirl was with me :grin

But I’m here for the bikes, enough goofing around. You can look for days and not see ten percent of the cool bikes here. Sturgis rocks, that is if you can look past the Sturgis ‘whatever crap’ and focus on what it is all about, the Largest Motorcycle Rally in the World, here in our back yards. Its almost like I have to go to pay homage to my roots. It just feels right.

The ugliest bike I’ve ever seen. Built with Lagos?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Eh?

Don and Stef acquired a loose shift lever in route to Sturgis, and yes, they rode from Barron Wisconsin. Don has always owned a couple motorcycles or three and is constantly looking at the next ride, a real biker and definitely enthusiastic about the sport. Anyway, their bike is being worked on by a busy staff of mechanics at the Full Throttle Saloon, their told it could be hours and it will cost $800. Ouch, my shift lever problem in the Dominican Republic cost me 300 pesos (~$25US), and that included three separate tips. Oh well, it’s an old Harley Davidson and its Sturgis Week, it ain’t gonna be cheap.

Don and Stef are good-to-go as they enjoy their honeymoon riding Sturgis but I have a schedule to keep and need to keep moving, this ride is far from over.

A quick tour of Main Street is a must. If ya don’t do Main Street, ya didn’t do the rally. (Cheesy grin)

Nothing but bikes, what is not to like!

And people.

This couple looks familiar, humm…

Next stop, the international border with Canada in northern Minnesota, Rainey Lake.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 25,498
Hipster is a troublemaker. Every time I see him, I get drunk.

Very nice report, enjoying it.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Great RR thanks for sharing , looking forward to the next installment.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
Hipster is a troublemaker. Every time I see him, I get drunk.

Very nice report, enjoying it.
Hey Rapid_Roy, Yeah Hipster is known to drive people to do that for sure. Its happened to me to.

I saw Hipsters old girlfriend at the Full Throttle. It looks like she has definitely moved on. No wonder Hipster won’t ride to Sturgis with me anymore.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,606
FFFFKKK, I'm in. Love the Frankenbike.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker View Post

I saw Hipsters old girlfriend at the Full Throttle. It looks like she has definitely moved on. No wonder Hipster won’t ride to Sturgis with me anymore.
That's the gal that broke his hips! He was telling me about her, kinda feel sorry for him.

Great ride report Tom! Good to see you on the road again
I took a trip out there earlier this year, saw some of the same terrain as you, its amazing and I can't wait to get back!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792581
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #28
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

I’m out of here, Sturgis 2012’ short and sweet, win-win.

Hwy 34 east from Sturgis

After Pierre I skirt along the Missouri River again looking for a public use area along the river. I know I’m going to ride until the last light, it makes the need to find a camp more urgent and to me, more fun. What is wrong with me!

Super timing

It would be hard to pick a better campsite if I had all day to look.

Primitive camping at its best

Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Bluhduh

The ride through South Dakota and back into Minnesota is enjoyable as always, especially by riding a new route. I’m looking for areas I haven’t ridden through before and interesting landscape. I googles ‘Minnesota topo map’ and saw an area that could be interesting in northeastern Minnesota, the Superior National Forest, so that’s where I’m shooting for, the long way to Rainy Lake border.

I’m glad I started back yesterday otherwise I would have to miss the Superior National Forest to make a rendezvous I have with Heidi. I still have to hard ride today so its only rest when needed, and just long enough to suck down some liquids and munch down some road food. That’s the way I like to ride anyway.

Blasting through western Minnesota toward Duluth.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Super, I reach Duluth by 6:00PM, still enough time to get further north and make into the Superior National Forest, where I know there has to be free camping all over that can be used for a quick overnight.

Duluth Minnesota starts the beautiful north shore drive along Lake Superior. Less than twenty miles up the north shore my route takes me due north into the Superior National Forest.

This area is new to me but it feels very familiar, public forest and public forest roads. I see dozens of fire-lanes and logging roads with large boulders placed at their entrance. I’m sure they are for deterring ATV use, which is highly regulated n Minnesota. Although these trails are perfect for adventure motorcyclists looking for protected camp spots, the boulders would have to be moved for anything with four-wheels to get through.

I like the way this sign reads “Road may be impassable Travel at your own risk” I check out several trails looking for a perfect isolated and protected spot. This is a great area for adventure dual-sport motorcycle riding.

After sunset, I go into the mode ‘look hard for a camp site’. I ride down a few rough dirt roads pulling over to stop and look for any flat area to set a tent. The key for me is to feel confident that no one will ever see me or discover me if I stay just the night. I find a couple of sites that would have been fine but decide to ride further. I mark in my head what the odometer reads so if I can’t find anything up the road, I can always return to exactly this place, in the dark if necessary. I do this for every acceptable spot when its this late in the day.

The next dirt road I try has a small sign with a name on it ‘White Lake’. A quarter mile down is a little sigh showing a tent symbol. The trail ends at a small lake and four sweet campsites right on the foot lake. What a score, no one here but me.

Witnessing the transformation of twilight over a lake is always a good way to end the day.