Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #46
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,985
I bet it'll have to arrive on a trailer or in a truck some day via road service.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #47
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It could be harmonics. The cam chain tensioner is really there to quell it on that chain. It is not there to take up slack or would be located more centrally.

Singles and vertical twins have a lot of weight going up and down and the vibes can only be moved about, not done away with unless a lot of weigh is used. You can tell that is not the case on a BMW by how quickly the engine spools up.
It's my understanding that they cut down on the weights on the crack to do precisely that, help it pick up revs faster. But then to cancel out the secondary vibrations they added the crank vibration damper thingy in the sump with a link rod to the crank.

That's why the motor is so deep in the sump when you look at it side on.

As you say, you can run a set up like that and get rid of most of the vibration, but you'll feel it at specific points in the rev range, which may well vary from bike to bike depending on how good the manufacturers tolerances are.

The little ZZR parallel twin I had did a lot of vibrating at different revs. At different points in the rev range it pulsed, vibrated, buzzed or tingled. It's the nature of a parallel twin. There's so much mas going up and down in time that it's just like a big single that revs a lot higher.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #48
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Ok - I missed the weekend feedback but this is what I did.
- Took the wheel off, checked, greased the bearings - dry buggers
- Chain deep cleaning each links and checked for missing o-rings - none - lubed (What a lengthy smelly job)
- Adjusted chain tension to lower limit of 35mm
So went to test ride and problem seems gone - perhaps a slight vibration or just my imagination so I will be monitoring the issue.

Off Topic: Although present, I never really complained about snatchy throttle but the BMC filter makes it real smooth now.
This engine needs to breathe
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #49
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambi View Post
t the BMC filter makes it real smooth now.
This engine needs to breathe
How dirty was your old filter?
The F motors have plenty of air, in fact, they are a lean burn motor, that is why you need the resistor tuning of the various devices on the market to fool the motor into another ambient temp range and get more gas in. It runs lean, not rich.
The way it is set up is like most modern engines, injected and running on the lean side for maximum mileage and minimum emissions.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #50
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
How dirty was your old filter?
The F motors have plenty of air, in fact, they are a lean burn motor, that is why you need the resistor tuning of the various devices on the market to fool the motor into another ambient temp range and get more gas in. It runs lean, not rich.
The way it is set up is like most modern engines, injected and running on the lean side for maximum mileage and minimum emissions.
Am aware of the lean engine tuned - Not willing to highjack the original post topic...
The OEM filter "lungs" were dark grey/black a third of their height across the bottom.
I never bothered looking at it since the bike was under warranty and shop maintained with a filter replacement at 20K - now 24K with a lot of hot summer dusty dirt rides until I had a fuel range/indication issue.

Let me explain:
- Fuel range 60km warning on, the bike gave signs of running out at 45km. Refilled - I thought of bad gas.
- Then it did the same with fuel range at 65km.
- Once more but this time indicated fuel range 111km...
Under daily commuting usage, I get around 340-350km range but this time it gave signs at 245km... Where are those 100km gone to??

Anyway, I ordered a BMC filter HP2 pro which fits fine (Does touch the R/H bottom corner) to replace the OEM after reading a post here.
Actually BMC does one for the F800: http://www.bmcairfilters.com/standar...01_d785_5.aspx but was not yet available for me to purchase.
Made an ECU hard reset and my last refill was at 12km - 333km indicated so problem seems to be solved.

Was it a filter problem or a funny ECU bug? I don't know. I am now back to normality plus a much smoother throttle response/control.
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote