Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #346
tete OP
clown shoes

Oddometer: 346
Thought I would post my pics here instead of the pics/ fires thread.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #347
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 546
Love it. Absolutely love it.
Kt-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #348
tete OP
clown shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Love it. Absolutely love it.
Thanks man, I know it's not a traditional build but I'm excited about it. Ill put the acewell on this weekend.

Still got some bits here and there.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #349
tete OP
clown shoes

Added a little pannier. Jk, Very little But small enough to fit my eyeglasses

tete screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 05:38 PM
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #350
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 546
That's awesome.
Kt-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #351
tete OP
clown shoes

Installing the acewell now. What is everyone doing about this? Are you guys plugging it or just leave it as is once you remove the cable?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #352
tete OP
clown shoes

I recently picked up some krausers but I am in a dilemma. The cases came with chrome racks but I have black one I wanted to use. Here is a pic. The seat belt mounting plate is in a different location for the black cases vs the chrome ones. I was not aware they made different mounting arrangements.

Is there a retro fit for this ?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #353
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,993
They don't really look like those two racks are for the same bike. Might just be a photo effect tho. I think you have to see which ones work best.

I didn't think I was going to like the plain steel tank. I wanted to say that now I see, it I like it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #354
tete OP
clown shoes

Thanks. Yeah both fit the bike and bags but the black ones don't fit the seat belt like locks on the cases.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #355
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,360
The early Krausers used a clamp that grabbed the tube like those black ones.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #356
tete OP
clown shoes

Oh. Ok. Does anyone know where to source them? I guess I could use the chrome ones but I prefer the black ones as they are brand new it looks and I prefer the black on the bike.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #357
tete OP
clown shoes

Questions about wheel bearings

I have the Lester's. here is what I am wondering, mine have no play when I put the new tires on however the do make a slight grinding feel. Very slight. As if the grease is either dried up or something. The bearing itself actually looks and feels fine. I took them to my local tech and he said that it could be dried grease but he didn't know until he took them apart and at that point it would be worth replacing. The front is said felt really solid but te same feeling.

Is there any way to grease them without taking them apart? Simply put, its after the holidays and and I don't have money for 200$ bearing replacement. Per wheel, Not even close. I was lucky to get tires!

Please share your experiences with bearings etc.

Before I got the bike 5 months ago the nbike was sitting indoors in a garage here in AZ for ten years, which can be and extremely hot dry climate. Especially in the summers.

Thanks for any advice in Advance.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #358
tete OP
clown shoes

Anyone ?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #359
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 88
Just grease the bearings

I have limited experience with bearings but have a couple of friends who have helped me. On my 1976 R75 w. 37,000 on it and had been sitting for many many yrs I decided to check the bearings just because i assumed the grease would be stiff. Yup. re-greased the bearings and assembled and it is smooth as can be. From what I understand the bearings are over engineered for there use, so as long as they were not run dry they should be good. I have a set of Lesters for my 1974 r90. I was told the Lesters were a dealer option. That being said each dealer did the setup on the shims/bearings, so some might be good and maybe some less than good. My plan is to pull the bearings out and clean them, if they feel good I will use them. I have not done it yet but my friend gave me the tools: a length of handlebar and an axle. Now i just have to learn the simple process of getting the bearing out. anyone here have the process? The fun part is a torch is involved! I watched it being done once but now can't remember enough to give you the process.
1960 R50 project
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #360
tete OP
clown shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
I have limited experience with bearings but have a couple of friends who have helped me. On my 1976 R75 w. 37,000 on it and had been sitting for many many yrs I decided to check the bearings just because i assumed the grease would be stiff. Yup. re-greased the bearings and assembled and it is smooth as can be. From what I understand the bearings are over engineered for there use, so as long as they were not run dry they should be good. I have a set of Lesters for my 1974 r90. I was told the Lesters were a dealer option. That being said each dealer did the setup on the shims/bearings, so some might be good and maybe some less than good. My plan is to pull the bearings out and clean them, if they feel good I will use them. I have not done it yet but my friend gave me the tools: a length of handlebar and an axle. Now i just have to learn the simple process of getting the bearing out. anyone here have the process? The fun part is a torch is involved! I watched it being done once but now can't remember enough to give you the process.
So there is no way to lube them without removing them entirely. This creates a problem for sure. I thought the front were user sevicable but if I'm getting a torch out and such, then I imagine that's not the case. It would be nice if I could figure out a way to grease them while in wheel. Would it be white lithium grease? I dunno. I had planned on going to Los Angeles next week but I can't imagine riding 800 miles (round trip) with dry bearings. mmmm. I believe the way the bearing is designed in the rear the cover looks as if with a syringe or something I could get some in there. What sucks is the old dried grease would be mixed with it, perhaps the old grease would take up some moisture and re-absorb itself into the new grease? This could be a temporary solution until summer when I have the cashola.