Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #361
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,900
They sell a small tub of stuff in the auto parts store it is called wheel bearing grease. Sometimes labeled "Disk Brake Wheel Bearing Grease" . Even the most expensive wheel bearing grease is not very expensive. They have the same stuff in motorcycle stores. I think White Lube works but I use Wheel Bearing Grease.

I have spoke wheels so I can't tell you much about taking the bearings out of those wheels you have. It is best to take the bearing out to clean and grease them. On my spoke wheels I have a special tool to take the large nut off that holds the bearings in place. The bearing races can stay in place on the front wheel but on the rear wheel you probably have to remove the races because you can't get the bearing out with out doing this. I use a torch.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #362
tete OP
clown shoes

Oddometer: 348
Thanks for the response!

I did a little research and I guess what is needed is to repack the bearings. Now I'm wondering how I can repack them with grease without damaging the wheel. I will post pics in the morning so we can see the difference between what many of u have and mine. The Lester's are not that uncommon so I'm are someone will be able familiar.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #363
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
I think that you need to get some advice as to Lester wheels, maybe snow bum has some advice on his site. On my 1975 R90/6 you heat the wheel with a heat gun and tap out boththe bearings as a single stack of parts, if you don't use heat, there is a danger that the bearing outer races will damage the wheels leading to sloppy bearings!

There is a good chance that the bearings will be OK , once they have been cleaned and regreased, but to do this properly you should remove them. I would replace any grease seals with new, but yet again I don't know if Lester used BMW parts for these.

you need to be careful with the Lester's, as it would be very expensive to replace them.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #364
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Installing the acewell now. What is everyone doing about this? Are you guys plugging it or just leave it as is once you remove the cable?
I asked the same question and here is what bpeckm said in post #336 here : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...527749&page=23 .
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #365
tete OP
clown shoes

Fantastic article with tons of knowledge. Snowbum recommended. I took me a bit to find this article but made me feel way better about trying to repack them and salvage what I have. Save some
money without feeling like I'm risking my life.

Read up and please feel free to chime in.
Very interesting stuff.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/wheel_bearing/index.htm
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #366
tete OP
clown shoes

I'm wondering if its as simple as removing the Allen head bolts here to access for re packing?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #367
tete OP
clown shoes

How do I Go about adding the krauser cases to these racks? I have a chrome set where the mount is in the proper location. I would prefer the black but there is no holes for mounting the seat belt like bracket accept on top? Which doesn't match the case? !. Confused

Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #368
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The part of the black racks that you are thinking is part of a bag mounting system is not the seat belt piece you think it is. That tab on the top of the rack is for mounting a rear rack to, not a bag.

If you have to have the black racks then find a set of bags that have claw mounts. Like these;

Or you might be able to put these claw pieces on the bags you have. They are still available at your dealer. I think I paid about $36 for one a year ago.

I think the piece you are missing, the seat belt tang, is still available. Maybe you could have it welded on the the black racks.

Just so you have all the options then there is one more, paint the chrome racks black. Chrome can be painted with a spray can. Ruff the chrome up some with sandpaper to give the paint something to stick to.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #369
tete OP
clown shoes

Bingo. Ill paint the chrome and put the others for sale in the flea market.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #370
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,342
neither of those type of latches should be trusted. see the little gussets on the racks in the corners, they have holes in them about 3/8 in diameter? I line the bag up where it should go on the rack, mark the bag where the hole is,drill a hole in the bag, and use toilet tank mounting bolts to bolt the bag to the rack. the toilet bolts have rubber washers and large metal washers, along with wing nuts to facilitate in taking the bags off if ya want. been running my bags like that for years now, never lost one, same can't be said for some friends of mine that think the latches are all ya need.
besides, once they are bolted on, the latches aren't even needed.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #371
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

bikerfish,

I thought it was the seat belt latches that were prone to fail, not the claw types? But you're saying my bags are also in danger of being lost?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #372
tete OP
clown shoes

Isn't there like a strap system or suggestion for strapping the bags additionally to the latches ? Also that perhaps has a lock to compensate for the keys nobody seems to have.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #373
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
It not just the bags falling off , it's also the door opening for random reasons. A simple luggage strap around the bag and frame is good insurance
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #374
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I think somebody might make straps that are sized to fit Airhead bags. There are White straps used when bikes are shipped to the US and these have sometimes been used. You can sometimes get them from a dealer, if they don't just throw them away. The shipping straps are a rather crude material. Some won't like it.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #375
tete OP
clown shoes

Went for alonger ride.

Today I went out for a fairly decent ride, about half way through the bike started to smoke from the throttle side exhaust. only this side. This was the first ride of more than 20 miles this winter since it has been wet and busy. ANy how, I notce at higher RPM its worst and most noticeably when stopped. I can rev it up a bit and when I let off the throttle as the RPMs drop it tends to smoke.

Other than this the bike is running perfect. easy start, no oil light. No hesitation. Of course my first instinct is to think rings .

Keep in mind that this was the first decent ride since I got her running again this fall. IN which she has been sitting for in a garage for11 years in a AZ.

please feel free to chime in with you experiences.

thnks