Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #76
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
NO on the o-rings! Your bike is a 75 model, didn't use them.
According to my parts book there should be an O ring on the 2 upper crankcase bolts, to protect the oil way.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #77
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,391
Well I'm pretty sure I put two tiny O-rings on the top cylinder studs when I resealed (it was actually a new pistons, new rings, job. not just a reseal) Several years ago. If there weren't cut outs for the O-rings I would have left them off but I think they had cut outs so I included them.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #78
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
According to my parts book there should be an O ring on the 2 upper crankcase bolts, to protect the oil way.
The parts "books" sometimes show all the options on the same page, but don't always give the year cutoff.
If the bike is a USA production 5/75 (as the OP bike is), there are no cutouts for stud o-rings.
The absolute EASIEST way to tell if your motor is considered a 76 or not without pulling a cylinder, is to measure the diameter of the pushrod tube. the early engines (no o-rings) had 16mm diameter, the later 76-96 had 18mm. This is also when BMW openned up the case bore to 99 mm, among many other engine changes.
UPDATE: I don't know what parts "book" you guys are using but I checked the fiche at MAXsBMW and it does indeed have the correct info. I also checked realoem and they sort of have it. REASON NO 57 that I won't use RealOem.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 08:39 AM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #79
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
My parts book is orange and dated 6/75........ And it shows O rings and cylinder base gaskets for all /6 models but not for /5s.

But who knows really until he gets it apart, being a summer 75 bike it could well have a mixture of 75 and 76 model parts.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #80
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
My parts book is orange and dated 6/75........ And it shows O rings and cylinder base gaskets for all /6 models but not for /5s.

But who knows really until he gets it apart, being a summer 75 bike it could well have a mixture of 75 and 76 model parts.
There are lots of upgrades from BMW that happened earlier in the rest of world. I suspect that this is one of them. As a BMW parts Veteran, my observation is that it's always been this way here in the US, and the OP bike is a US model.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #81
tete OP
clown shoes

Oddometer: 348
I'll get her running them I'll worry about the leak.

Any suggestions on the bike identification plate / emblem and the best way to re-attach it.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #82
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

3M Trim Adhesive. There are several things that will work at the corner hardware store or the AutoParts Supermarket. This is one that is traditionally used for such gluing operations.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03601-Plast.../dp/B000CCM3J2

It can be messy stuff if not handled with a little bit of care. Also comes in an aerosol.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #83
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 446
Laugh pit crews choice

I like this stuff for adhesive = Pit Crews Choice -get it at your local Orielly auto parts used on my 74 R75/6 for same engine label dries clear works on lots of stuff!!

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-25831.../dp/B001RERDHG

Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #84
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 748
go rilla

i just reinstalled mine (lousy workmanship and BMW materials, started to loosen after only 36 years). after cleaning the case/emblem, i used 2 long and very thin smears of gorilla glue. clamped onto the case while curing using wood blocks, 2 small coil springs, a bit of string. hilarious, really. stuff sorks great, but keep your "good eye" on it. expands a bit while curing.
noman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #85
tete OP
clown shoes

Can I asked what you guys used to remove that old adhesive. It's a bit more difficult than expected.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #86
tete OP
clown shoes

Also while I'm waiting on a few parts to show up.

How do I go about using this seat cowl thingy.

Does this mount onto a stock /7 seat pan? How about the cushion etc. does someone make a seat pad insert specifically designe for this cowl?

I haven't decided which way to go as right now I have /6 tank and seat and /7tank and seat. Then I have this cowl thing and a pretty nice grab rail rack thing that attaches to this.

Right now I leaning towards /7 tank an seat. Just not sure which seat, this or the more OEM two up design.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #87
tete OP
clown shoes

here is kinda what I am thinking look wise lately

except the rack I have is black, I would also have euro bars, black lesters and black everything else I can think of.

Also do they make a black that matches the frame for touch up or is rattle can black the way to get her done?

tete screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 06:58 AM
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #88
tete OP
clown shoes

So I was putting together my carbs and realized that i am missing the atomizer part of the carb.. So i looked in both carbs and realized I never had one. I took these apart with great detail being very careful of all the part. doing both individually one day after the next. Both of them do not have an atomizer. as listed in the clymers manual. anyone have any experience with this. ?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #89
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Do you mean the part #10 on this page, part #13 11 1 260 973

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...92&hg=13&fg=11

It is called a pre-atomizer by RealOem.com. I suppose things still fit with this part missing? It won't be the first time some Previous Owner left a part off.

Replace them. I suppose that means you have to buy a pair. I hope the carb bodies weren't damaged by this mistake.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #90
tete OP
clown shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Do you mean the part #10 on this page, part #13 11 1 260 973

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...92&hg=13&fg=11

It is called a pre-atomizer by RealOem.com. I suppose things still fit with this part missing? It won't be the first time some Previous Owner left a part off.

Replace them. I suppose that means you have to buy a pair. I hope the carb bodies weren't damaged by this mistake.

Yep that's its..Doesn't look like damage could be done by having it missing but regardless, it's sloppy work. I went ahead a re-assembled it but will get those parts coming.

Also after inspecting the float needle one is definitely damaged so I'll get two of those as well. Looks like Shrek put the carbs back together at some point.

I will say after doing it once I would feel comfortable doing this any time. really simple especially if you take you time.