Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #91
tete OP
clown shoes

Oddometer: 346
MAN O MAN!! I love EUBMW.COM. I got my throttle, clutch and brake cables as well as the oil pan gasket. I found a guy locally with the pre-atomizer. So things are looking good. Now if I could get my battery I would be a happy camper. It would go a long ways toward trying to start it this weekend. Regardless. I have plenty to do.

if there are any no-how tips on the cables and such please advise. Also so far the only advice on the oil pan gasket is torque properly or I'll end up with stripped bits.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #92
tete OP
clown shoes

Well I pretty much went ahead and rebuilt every needed component on these carbs. However, I am having trouble locating an atomizer for what ever reason. If anyone has a couple atomizers that the wouldn't mind parting w, that would be a big help. I can't seem to find a place that will sell me just those.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #93
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
Try Bob's BMW. They do mail order, over the internet and phone orders. Call them, reach for parts department and explain your situation. They are a great group of guys and I'm just sure they will not only have it but will sell it to you. Here I have the phone # in my phone; 301-497-8949

Bob's sells parts and services any motorcycle ever built by BMW. Might not be too fast on some of the really old ones but Airheads are welcome at Bob's.

ps; Use the part #. The parts guys are sitting in front of a terminal and he can see exactly what you mean by the #. This is the way it works.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 09:34 AM
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #94
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,862
Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA. (530)-345-4462. Ozzie has more Airhead stuff than you can shake a stick at.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #95
tete OP
clown shoes

Found a couple locally and now putting the carbs back together ... again. Thanks for all the input.

I also got new butterflies and screws which I will install and peen later. I talk to a tech who build race BMWs and showed me how to with needle nose pliers. Pretty simple really and it gives me piece of mind knowing all the o-rings are changed.

Now im just waiting on my battery and we can start moving in the right direction.

I'll replace the oil pan gasket later and change the filter and put oil in it. As well as the carbs and new fuel lines and filters. New air filter as well. I'll wait on the new throttle cables and such until after we get her started.

Here is the check list.

Rebuild Carbs $100 new parts etc
New Plugs $5
New Throttle, Brake and Clutch cables $70
New oil pan Gasket $10
New fuel filters $5
New oil filter $20
New Air filter $20
New oil $15
Clean Petcocks and Gas Tank $0
New battery (should be here soon) $40

Things I predict I will have to address
Starter / and or Alternator
Electrical overall
Push rod leak / Head / jug gasket on left side.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #96
tete OP
clown shoes

40$ shipped from amazon
Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #97
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
40$ shipped from amazon
Dang. You even got a black battery. I received the Power Sonic when I ordered a Toyo and was disappointed because it is a sickly grey color. But I have it in my bike now. Was out today and went about 20 miles to try and buy some points cam grease at NAPA. The only place around me that would order it. So it's going to be in on Monday and I broke down about 4 miles from home. I ran the bike too many miles with no cam grease on the points cam and as far as I can tell that's all that is wrong. I'll take another set of points back to the bike tomorrow and bring her home, hopefully.

BTW. I enlarged the eyelets on the battery a little so they would match the eyelets on my cables better and put it all together with the larger bolts from the original battery.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #98
tete OP
clown shoes

Silly question do these SLA batteries need to be charged prior to putting it on?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #99
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Silly question do these SLA batteries need to be charged prior to putting it on?
Mine didn't. Was fully charged as far as I know. It spun the starter really good. Bike fired up right away. Battery and charging system all seem to be working really well. Bike is still broken down tho about 4 miles from home. Can't rescue till the rain stops. Hopefully tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #100
tete OP
clown shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Mine didn't. Was fully charged as far as I know. It spun the starter really good. Bike fired up right away. Battery and charging system all seem to be working really well. Bike is still broken down tho about 4 miles from home. Can't rescue till the rain stops. Hopefully tomorrow.
Geez man, Bummer about the bike. I hope you have it in a secure spot.

Well I go the new oil filter in and some fresh oil. Also sprayed some Seafoam in the cylinders a few times today. Got the carbs on, pulled the plug wires off and had the butterlies open, and turn it over a couple times. the starter seems to be just fine. So now I'm wondering if the PO perhaps simply had a dead battery and didn't know what to do? or maybe it is the charging system that failed him?

The starter seems strong. At first I left one of the plug wires on and it back fired slightly. I assume it was teh seafoam that ignited. it was small however and I'll just assume it's all good. Tomorrow I will add the tank and some gas, new plugs and run the fuel lines and filter as well as the new air filter. and put it all back together. I'll save the oil pan and cables for later in the week. Just to feel and see it turn over gots me too excited to wait.

I felt like it wanted to start. If it had any gas it would have started right up.

We'll see how things go tomorrow, but i am optimistic.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #101
tete OP
clown shoes

im confused on how to run the fuel line. for example i have in line fuel filters. the kind that do not have a T to them do I need to run them off like that or can I simply run fuel line directly down to the filter then to the carb no "T" needed?

thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #102
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The Tes are an extra piece, not part of the filter. The T is so you have a cross connection between the left and right fuel line. The T was part of the original set up for the bike. They will run fine if you don't have the T. Just run the petcocks to the carbs. Makes for a little confusion maybe when you are running out of gas. When the tank is low one side or the other can run out first.

The fuel filters in the fuel line are after market pieces.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #103
tete OP
clown shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The Tes are an extra piece, not part of the filter. The T is so you have a cross connection between the left and right fuel line. The T was part of the original set up for the bike. They will run fine if you don't have the T. Just run the petcocks to the carbs. Makes for a little confusion maybe when you are running out of gas. When the tank is low one side or the other can run out first.

The fuel filters in the fuel line are after market pieces.
ok so i got the carb, tank, petcocks on and working furl line and filter and everything ready to go.

carbs ready I dont have a workin choke lever but i assume if the en-richer are is up that means the choke is in the ON position.

I got enough oil flowin by turing it over so that the light went off. Finally as I tried to start it, ....

nothing.

So now im wondering if I need to adjust the carb screw closest to the jug. I uncrewed it by 3/4 of a turn which i thought was about right ... nothing...

any suggestions?

there is definitely spark.

its starter is strong and the kill switch is in the proper position which is in the center - I assume ( not up or down.)

please any input would be nice.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #104
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The enrichner levers up is start position.

Two screws on the carbs. #1 is mixture, it is in it's little shroud, it goes into the carb, mixture screw is 1 turn out, I think. #2 carb screw is idle speed, it pushes up on a tab that is part of the lever connected to the butterfly shaft. This will hold the butterfly off the fully closed position a little. Set idle speed i turn in from where it first makes contact.

These settings are approximate.

To start bike have the throttle cranked open a little. Give it some gas. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 turn.

As soon as it starts you will probably be able to turn the enrichners down 1/2. They will come completely off after another minute. Also approximate info.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #105
tete OP
clown shoes

yeah pretty much set up as suggested checked spark again. checked floats they are fine

mmmm.

i guess ill stop and think about this for a bit before proceeding. are any of the screw inside the carbs in float area supposed to be back out at all?

it it OK to pull those plastic elbows off and see what going on in there. and try starting it like that until i figure out what is up?

Update:

I think I flooded it somehow initially. I got it started momentarily and then it died again. what might be somethings to check if its flooding?

I'll take a break and come back in a bit and see whats up.

tete screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 11:00 AM