Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
SombraPiloto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
F700/800 electrical output capacity for heated gear?

Hey all,

After having almost frostbitten my fingers off my hands last week I'm now considering adding some heated gear to my wardrobe. I honestly think that I could survive with only heated gloves but it would seem that that would make wiring a bit more of a headache (cables down the sleeves) so for simplicity's sake I would probably get a heated jacket liner too. My question is about how much "excess electrical capacity" might be available from my F700 to power said gear. I was looking at Powerlet's website and the closest bike to mine listed is the F800GS and if I'm reading the chart correctly it's good for about 90 watts, or only a jacket liner and even that's pushing it. Powerlet's jacket can be used at either 60 watts or 105 watts and it would seem that at the lower power setting I might be ok with that and a pair of gloves but again that would be pushing it if the bike is only good for 90 watts.

Is anyone running a heated jacket and gloves combo off the 700GS, 800GS, or 800GT? Any problems? One BMW dealer here pretty much ignored me for 15 minutes when i went to check out their heated gear and the other didn't really convince me with their explanation (and the fact that they only sell Gerbings) so I figured I'd ask some people with real experience here.

Thanks.
SombraPiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
I have the 800 my wife has the 650, 2010 models with 50000 and 40000 miles, we both run heated gloves, socks, pants, jacket and grips. No problem.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I've used a heated jacket and gloves many of times. I have a small voltmeter mounted on the bike. The only time I've seen it not keeping up is at idle with the jacket, gloves, heated grips and high beam all on at the same time. Once you get above 2,000 rpms and are riding its fine.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 514
I've done the same thing with a voltmeter and run a liner and gloves on a tw200 and a honda 250 nighthawk both with no issues
Surprised me that they would do that but...

Christi
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I've been running Gerbing's for years on several bikes including my F700GS. It works fine with no issues. I use the jacket liner, G3 gloves and sometimes if it is really cold I'll throw the grips on as well. I have the jacket liner for exactly the same reason you state. I almost never turn the liner on since I am plenty warm enough with it on under a Revit (cayenne or sand 2) with just the waterproof liner in. I simply use it because it's easier than dealing with the Y cable.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
with pillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
I've been running Gerbing's for years on several bikes including my F700GS. It works fine with no issues. I use the jacket liner, G3 gloves and sometimes if it is really cold I'll throw the grips on as well. I have the jacket liner for exactly the same reason you state. I almost never turn the liner on since I am plenty warm enough with it on under a Revit (cayenne or sand 2) with just the waterproof liner in. I simply use it because it's easier than dealing with the Y cable.
Did you use it with pillion as well? Is 700GS oem battery can handle tow persons heated gear?
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk34 View Post
Did you use it with pillion as well? Is 700GS oem battery can handle tow persons heated gear?
Sorry, that one I can't answer since I never ride 2 up.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
SombraPiloto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
I've used a heated jacket and gloves many of times. I have a small voltmeter mounted on the bike. The only time I've seen it not keeping up is at idle with the jacket, gloves, heated grips and high beam all on at the same time. Once you get above 2,000 rpms and are riding its fine.
Please excuse my electrical ignorance but what happens when the bike's output doesn't keep up with the demand?
SombraPiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SombraPiloto View Post
Please excuse my electrical ignorance but what happens when the bike's output doesn't keep up with the demand?
In general, if you are using more juice than the stator can put out the battery won't be able to charge and will actually drain which could result in you standing by the side of the road in your suddenly un-heated gear. :)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 514
That's why the voltmeter, a couple of minutes of low voltage at a stoplight won't make much difference but a couple of hours will.
Also I have tried to run two sets of heated gear on a 650 dakar single and it won't keep up unless they are turned down. I've never tried it on the F800

Christi
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
You would have thought that BMW would have boosted the GS800's electrical output to match the Tiger 800's 550 watts when they redesigned the system for the meltdown problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
My 2013 F800 handles a Gerbings jacket liner and gloves, with the grip heat on, no problem.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Turnerdude1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Just got back from a 13 day tour of the alps. Rented a GS F700 brand new. They did not want to hook up the gerbering heated gear to the battery as they said it would cause me problems. First day ran it on low just the jacket and no problems. second day ran it for one hour and then when shut bike down parking light and inst. light stayed on. computer was flashing a ASW code. Discounted pig tales from battery and after several hard boots computer fixed itself and ran rest of the tour fine. Called both a US dealer in my area and Gerbering tech support and both said sould of had not problems...
Turnerdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote