Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
npgtech OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
New here, about to pull the trigger

Hi all,
I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum. I'm getting the pull the trigger on a 2015 BMW F800GSA, Kalamata Green. I'm into the outdoor/offroad world with my 2010 Nissan Xterra. Active duty military, getting ready to move here shortly from SoCal to HI. First dual sport bike, I've had a 2007 Yamaha R6 in the past, and rode a few dirt bikes when I was a teen.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas, or pro/cons on the '15 F800GSA? Looking to definitely use the off-road capabilities of it too.

Thanks all in advance.

Nick
npgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
CaptainAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Which island are you moving to?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
npgtech OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAdv View Post
Which island are you moving to?
I'm moving to Oahu this summer. Hoping there will be some decent trails there for the bike and my Xterra as well. I lived there before, back in '03-'06. I'm sure a bit has changed since then though.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
coolrunnings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
First off: GSA is a great bike.

Think about the range you want vs the range you need. If you don't need the range the GS is the less expensive option. You can customize luggage to whatever you want it to be although the BMW boxes are pretty good.

Every bike is personal preference. If you prefer the GSA go for it. Welcome to the club.
coolrunnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Merlin32
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by npgtech View Post
Hi all,
I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum. I'm getting the pull the trigger on a 2015 BMW F800GSA, Kalamata Green. I'm into the outdoor/offroad world with my 2010 Nissan Xterra. Active duty military, getting ready to move here shortly from SoCal to HI. First dual sport bike, I've had a 2007 Yamaha R6 in the past, and rode a few dirt bikes when I was a teen.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas, or pro/cons on the '15 F800GSA? Looking to definitely use the off-road capabilities of it too.

Thanks all in advance.

Nick
I have a 2014 GSA , and for me, I like it better for the seat, windscreen , and tank. Despite belief it's not much heavier as people lead on to believe. It balances just as well if you don't load it up with side cases, tool boxes and a full tank of gas... I've had 3 other bikes and for me it's the most balanced for on/off road. Very comfortable on the highway.
Merlin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Stovo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Now after almost a year of lurking on the forum, more than six months contemplating, a motorcycle exam later, several testrides (GS1200, Honda CBF, etc), a rented KTM 1190 Adventure R for my first offroad class on Saturday. I can assure you I loved the orange beast but it is simply too much for me and my small posture, low skills etc ...

I couldn't get the grin of my face sunday during a testride with the GSA ...

So I'm proud to announce:

My first motorcycle will be a 800GSA in kalamata green!

I think it is a nice mix of fun to drive and some wind protection while driving towards the fun!

Stovo screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 01:19 PM
Stovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
MFGamesta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I think you would have MUCH more fun if you got a dual sport instead.

I have an F800GSA and a TE449. I know I would put zero miles on my 800 if I lived in HI.
MFGamesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
KSO
Grab a Handfull

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovo View Post
Now after almost a year of lurking on the forum, more than six months contemplating, a motorcycle exam later, several testrides (GS1200, Honda CBF, etc), a rented KTM 1190 Adventure R for my first offroad class on Saturday. I can assure you I loved the orange beast but it is simply too much for me and my small posture, low skills etc ...

I couldn't get the grin of my face sunday during a testride with the GSA ...

So I'm proud to announce:

My first motorcycle will be a 800GSA in kalamata green!

I think it is a nice mix of fun to drive and some wind protection while driving towards the fun!
Good job, glad you pulled the trigger. I love my 2014 GSA with the panniers loaded, unloaded, 1/2 tank of fuel or a full tank of fuel. The only thing at first I didn't like was the seat but I fixed that with a Day-Long Saddle. The new seat puts you right in the cock pit and it's nothing but fun, standing on the pegs no problem. When I'm fully loaded and going to do a bunch of dirt I do change out my front sprocket to a 16 tooth and the bike becomes even more fun. By not pulling the trigger is like when you go big game hunting, you will go hungry. Once again good job and enjoy that bike.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
RightCoastBias
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
From what I know of HI, I think you'd be happier on a smaller dual sport.

While the F8 is a decent off road bike, it's not ideal for single track. Especially with limited off road experience. There is a huge benefit to being able to easily pick up your bike.

I can lift my F8, but it's not fun.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
npgtech OP
n00b

I'm looking at the future with this bike. I'm only going to be there as long as the Air Force wants me to live there. Then back to the mainland for me. Test riding the GSA was nice for sure, I rode a few others, and the GSA was where I was most comfortable. As for HI, I'll probably just have a hard top case, and possible some soft side bags. It'll be a DD during the week, and toy for the weekends.

Thanks for the info/insight so far. I'm on a few Nissan forums, and seems like there is a great stash of info and knowledge here too! Looking forward to the 2-wheel outdoor world now!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,163
Keep that trigger finger off until you are ready to pull the deal. You Will Like It and be the coolest ride on the island.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #12
Beairmo
Keeping it real

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by npgtech View Post
Hi all,

Thanks all in advance.

Nick
Love my GS and definitely my favorite bike of all that I have ever owned. And thats a bunch. I am at my BMW dealer fairly often as (I ride a lot) and they do most of the work on my bikes as they are under warranty. I stop in the showroom and check out all the new bikes...

When I bought my GS, the GSA wasn't out yet. So don't know which I would have bought. But from what I know now, I think I would go with the GS, NOT the GSA.

The main reason is simply the size and weight. The F8GS is a BIG bike. Especially when you load it up with panniers and gear. When it starts to go over, there is no stopping it. Just too top heavy. And the GSA looks to be even heavier.

Not to mention that you will inevitably spend a LOT of money in upgrades to either one. Especially in suspension, steering damper, wheels, etc. to really make it good off-road. I would be inclined to take the GS and make it into a GSA on my own. The only real major benefit of the GSA is the range with the bigger tank. And you can put a camel tank on the GS if you need that.

Found this article which discusses the topic:
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/is...off-road-bike/

OMT, if you can find a GS withOUT the adjustable suspension and traction control, save the money.

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #13
marvology
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I made a similar transition from a 2008 R1 to a 2014 F800GS. Much more practical ride for what I want to do, but nothing beats a sportbike on the twisties.

For me, though, that was a tiny percentage of my riding. But, I wish I'd kept the R1 for fun.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
CoffeeTime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I sent you a PM :
CoffeeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:59 AM   #15
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Congrats on the New F800. Especially in Kalamata. I just don't see another BMW color that can hold a candle to it. Understated elegance in a hue fit for an explorer. Part luxury as in a dress worn by a svelte cocktail girl, part military as in the camouflage on a Desert Warfare tank. Pure and unadulterated cat's ass. Lucky you.