ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
drwet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
950 Neutral indicator switch

So I have my 2004 950 back together after having the broken shift drum replaced. The replacement is an updated unit that I believe was introduced with the 2008 model year. The problem is the neutral indicator switch does not line up with the contact properly with the result that the bike does not indicate neutral exactly when the transmission is in neutral. My solution so far was to elongate the mounting holes in the switch so I could rotate it until the neutral indicator works properly. My concern is that the switch also has contacts to indicate 2nd and 3rd gear (not sure exactly why) and I'm not certain they are going to line up properly. My question is 1) is my solution going to work, and 2) did KTM use a different neutral indicator switch with the new drum design?
drwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,254
They probably did. The '04's have a system that slightly retards the ignition timing at WOT in the first three gears. Subsequent models did away with this. As long as you have a good neutral indication with your switch, I'd say you're good to go.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf...icPowerControl
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 695
I put the updated shift drum in my 04 last year, and didn't have any issues with the neutral indicator. It seems weird that it doesn't line up properly.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
drwet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Checked with my parts guy this morning. Turns out when KTM updated the shift drum, they changes the neutral indicator switch. The tech who worked on my motor wasn't aware of that. Updated switch is on order.
drwet is offline   Reply With Quote