ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #1
hotrdd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Convert 2 post hoist to lift my bikes as well

Need some help brainstorming this new “farkle” for the shop. Not sure if I can use “farkle” here but I digress.

I currently have a 1000lbs lift table in the shop and a large 2 post 7 ton hoist. The motorcycle lift table seems to always be in the way and has become a great spot for me to pile up the stuff I don’t want to put away or cleanup. So I want to get rid of the dedicate lift table and just use my 2 post hoist instead. The benefit is that I get some space back and I can lift the bike as high as I want. I’m a tall guy so the lift table still feels really short for me.

Here’s where I need the help. My first thought was to get a piece of metal channel and span it across two of the arms and then find a way to quickly bolt and unbolt it from the arms. But now I’m thinking that using just one arm will make all of the parts of the bike easier to access.

What do I need to consider here?

Since I’m going to Fabricate this from scratch what features should I add or are you missing from your table?

- I need a way to strap down the bike. Or is there a better way to hold it up right?

- Should I be getting a U-channel wide enough that I can put the center stand down?

- Have considered adding lights but think that they may just get in the way more than help.
hotrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,471
It would seem to me at first blush that part of the lift will always be in the way. Your access to either side - or both sides of the bike will be compromised.
If you can fabricate, why not mod your lift table to be taller?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
hotrdd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It would be easy enough to fabricate the table to be taller but then I still always have the table sitting around for shit to pile up on. I could use that space for a couple other tools instead. Like my, new to me, brake lathe. I had considered just modifying the table to go on the hoist arms but I have someone willing to give me $550 bucks for it so it might make more sense to sell it and fabricate something new.

Plus 1/2 the fun is fabricating new stuff.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
sceep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
just a thought... ...hang the bike instead.?

We just put a steel door across two arms on one post. Clamp it to the arms, and lift the bike up.

I like the idea of putting it on a single arm.

Make the mount swivel so you can rotate the bike for access to all sides.

I made an arm mount to pull the trans/underdrive/t-case out of my buggy. ugly but works great.

I'd be thinking some thing that comes up and grabs the frame. stabalilze the bike using something that clamps down on the pegs, like a hitch carrier does. (item 6)

sceep screwed with this post 04-10-2015 at 10:20 AM
sceep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
hotrdd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Crap seeing that mount just made me want to build several mounts for the hoist. This may have been a bad idea to start this thread.

I love the idea of making it rotate. I'm going to have to take a closer look at my current setup.

I know the minute I make one of these my kids are going to want one for the other side of the hoist and their bikes. This also reminds me that I was going to weld up a mount for the mountain bikes like they have in the bike shops so I could work on them easier.