User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
erkmania OP
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 712
I Want to Dabble in Nastalgia

I want to get a mid 70's two stroke and currently have my eye on a one owner '74 DT250 listed at $925. It looks in good condition and would be a good first re-entry project.

The trouble is that I don't know how to value the bike. I tried KBB and Ebay for comps, but didn't really have much luck. I don't mind paying slightly more than street value for the bike I want, but I do want to make educated decisions. Any help from this forum would be great.

I really have my eyes on anything Suzuki from the '70's. I missed out on a Buffalo or two last year and I haven't seen a worthy TS project, yet. I think half the fun is the treasure hunt so I'm in no rush.

Thanks, Eric

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
KennyV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
My opinion, I think the 74 DT250A is a good choice. I think thatís a good price for one in good running condition, especially if itís stock and complete. This is my (actually the wifeís) DT250A, which was a restoration project. This is one of the most reliable, dependable, and predictable bikes we have ever owned and itís a blast to ride.
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
erkmania OP
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 712
^^^^^

Wow, that's nice. Is that a trophy on the seat?

The bike I'm looking at does need more work than I thought. It's not nearly as nice. I'm going to shoot for a lower bid and see where it takes me. Wish me luck.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
My opinion, I think the 74 DT250A is a good choice. I think that’s a good price for one in good running condition, especially if it’s stock and complete. This is my (actually the wife’s) DT250A, which was a restoration project. This is one of the most reliable, dependable, and predictable bikes we have ever owned and it’s a blast to ride.
I bought one of these brand new, less than $900 including tax, title, registration and 6 months insurance.
2) you need to find some thermal flow shocks and a rubber boot for the kick starter pivot and it'll be perfect.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
KennyV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
^^^^^

Wow, that's nice. Is that a trophy on the seat?

The bike I'm looking at does need more work than I thought. It's not nearly as nice. I'm going to shoot for a lower bid and see where it takes me. Wish me luck.
Yea! I couldnít believe it, I was going to a local bike show sponsored by the VJMC. I figured what the heck, Iím going to the show so Iíll take the 250. Ended up winning a second place trophy.
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
Yea! I couldnít believe it, I was going to a local bike show sponsored by the VJMC. I figured what the heck, Iím going to the show so Iíll take the 250. Ended up winning a second place trophy.
Nice

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote