Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #46
BearII OP
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I have both a Ohlins equipped GSA & a new Camhead with ESA. You are making the right choice. Simply no comparison for this 200lb rider. I plan to put non ESA Ohlins on the Camhead so I can adjust front & rear independently, the way it should be.
Several others have told me the same thing, glad to see it confirmed once again! Tough to find a non-ESA model, waiting for a dealer to step up now. Have RFQ's out to 4 dealers, we'll see who can produce. Lots of push back against ordering one... If anyone knows a great dealer anywhere in the US that would like this simple cash deal let me know.

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #47
Happy BMW
Litter Box

Oddometer: 50
Try Ride West or Big Sky BMW
Happy BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #48
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
My question is. Is there a way to dial the preload in before one enguages ESA. That way for heaver riders the one up, two up, and luggage mode makes sense. Otherwise one uses the rider with luggage to get the single rider setting close. And so on.
I was just wondering the same thing - thought I'd resurrect this thread and see if anyone has any additional info since it was posted. I weigh about 160, so a good bit lighter than the 175-180 lbs nominal weight rider these ESA shocks were apparently designed for. I am finding the overall ride on the harsh side, solo or two up. Two up is a bit better, I can adjust to 1+luggage, rather than 2up, and it feels like it's about where it should be. But for solo work I'm feeling like there's just too high a spring rate.

Too bad they didn't set up the computer to sense the load and baseline the sag. (Guess that's closer to what D/ESA does).

Anyway, sounds like re-springing isn't an option on the stockers. Would rather not bite off $2-3k for Ohlins or whatever else is out there. Anyone come up with other options?
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #49
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post
I was just wondering the same thing - thought I'd resurrect this thread and see if anyone has any additional info since it was posted. I weigh about 160, so a good bit lighter than the 175-180 lbs nominal weight rider these ESA shocks were apparently designed for. I am finding the overall ride on the harsh side, solo or two up. Two up is a bit better, I can adjust to 1+luggage, rather than 2up, and it feels like it's about where it should be. But for solo work I'm feeling like there's just too high a spring rate.

Too bad they didn't set up the computer to sense the load and baseline the sag. (Guess that's closer to what D/ESA does).

Anyway, sounds like re-springing isn't an option on the stockers. Would rather not bite off $2-3k for Ohlins or whatever else is out there. Anyone come up with other options?
I haven't heard of a re-spring option out there for stock suspenders. Ohlins is probably the best way to go. You could always buy Ohlins in the non-ESA variety and just have a pre-load knob to adjust when you switch from 1-up to 2-up, etc.

I'm in the 185lb category and wife is around 115. For me the solo position works well...for sport-riding, I like to crank a bit more pre-load in and go with 1+luggage. 2-Up postion works very well for her & I together with a full load ready for a camping trip.

Yeah, there is no "setup the computer to sense load and baseline sag..." ESA is not intelligent...simply motors tied to a button to give you preload and rebound adjustment. Nothing intelligent at all about it.

For me, it works well, other's hate it with a weird distaste and passion since it's "problematic" and "does nothing". Personally, I believe the people that hate the stock suspenders are probably well above the "average" weight it was setup for. I'm sure I'll get flamed for being in the "I like ESA" camp; probably told I don't know good suspension too.

My Tuono Factory had Ohlins front and rear and I had the dealership help me set it up. (they had an Ohlins certified guy on staff who was a mechanic for the dealer and an amateur racer...the man knew suspension). That was probably the most compliant, confident, sport suspension I've ever ridden. Nothing can beat high-quality, properly setup suspension.
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten

TuonoBiker screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 12:19 PM
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote