ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
jdcross OP
Adventurer
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Oddometer: 14
Anderwerks BMW Calgary (resolved)

Ive had a months long claim against Anderwerks BMW in Calgary regarding a repair on my 1988 R100RT final drive.
The drive leaked and was found to not have been shimmed nor sealed correctly.
Despite emails, letters, pictures, and phone calls, the owner, Dave Anderson, has refused to deal with it.
so Ive initiated formal proceedings to get a refund.

While Im aware every issue has two sides, Id suggest Western Canadian airheads might want to be careful dealing with this company.

My apologies if this type of mail is not allowed on the List

Jim
jdcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!
 
Mr. Canoehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
Oddometer: 1,459
Really?

First post and you are trashing a well respected BMW repair shop? Dave can be tough to deal with sometimes (if he isn't German, he should be) but I have always found him to be honest and he looks after his clients. His mechanics are competent (unusual in this day and age) and thorough. Did you give him a chance to make it right?

He has also saved a lot of travelers during their trips when they have limped into town and I recommend his shop all the time to people in trouble and always get good feedback.

This is your first post here, so you had better provide more info. Like, who found the FD to be improperly set up? AFAIK, there is nobody else in town who can set up an airhead FD. Unless you sent it to Anton or one of the other US based experts, I can't see who could have rendered that opinion.
__________________
___________________________________________
2006 FJR1300, 2005 GS1150 Adventure, 2002 DR650 SE, a fortune in Farkles.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
jackd
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Cowichan
Oddometer: 2,984
I'll have to agree with the previous poster - for a first post it is rather strange to trash a respected repair shop. I have had dealings with Dave through the purchase of some very expensive airhead parts - everything was top notch and the communications were excellent - there must be more to this situation than appears. Hope you can resolve this unfortunate situation before too long and more muck is launched. I think that he might even be a member on this forum.....
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
jdcross OP
Adventurer
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I'll have to agree with the previous poster - for a first post it is rather strange to trash a respected repair shop. I have had dealings with Dave through the purchase of some very expensive airhead parts - everything was top notch and the communications were excellent - there must be more to this situation than appears. Hope you can resolve this unfortunate situation before too long and more muck is launched. I think that he might even be a member on this forum.....
I've been a member of Adve ture Ruders for some time but as you have corectly stated I have not posted before.
I am an active member of the Airheads List. I live in Qualicum Beac BC and am retired. I have a 1988 R100RT and a 1995 Ducati 900 SP both with collector plates.
My R100RT had some lateral play and as I was restoring it I wanted the drive fixed. I looked at a number of shops but chose Dave at Anderwerks as I was aware he had an excellent reputation and he told he he could do the job right.
Dave charged me 10.05 hours of labour.
When I got the drive back and installed I took a test ride and found oil on my rear tire and drips coming from the final drive. I removed the rear wheel and could see the leak coming from the crown gear cover.
I emailed Dave about the leak.
No reply from Dave.
I took another test ride - same leak problem.
This time I emailed Dave with lots of pictures.
No reply from Dave.
I emailed Dave agian asking if the problem could be a simple gasket leak and asked if I could fix it myself.
No reply from Dave
I took the problem to the Airhead list and the consensus was the drive needed to be opened up to see what the problem was.
I resent all of my emails to Dave in case he had missed them.
No reply from Dave
I then wrote Dave a letter on June 28 th saying that after no response from him about my problem I was sending the final drive to Tom Cutter in Pennsylvania for repair and asked for a refund of his invoice.
On july 16 th I got an email from Mike, Dave's technician who did the work. He said they wanted to fix the problem which was good but I told Mike they had left it too long, the drive was gone and I wanted a refund.
Mike said Dave would contect me.
No reply from Dave
Tom Cutter found the final drive to be incorrectly shimmed and not sealed according to the latest BMW tech bulletin.
Tom reshimmed and sealed the drive correctly and charged me just over 1/3 the hours Dave charged.
After numerous emails from me with no reply I finallly got Dave on the phone.
He could have aplogized right then and offered to stnad behind the problem but instead he told me he wanted to check with some other BMW techs about repairs and would get back to me.
No reply from Dave.
I called Dave again, he was not available, I left a message to call me back
No call back or email from Dave.
Last week I requested Dave clarify whether he would refund my money by the end of week.
No reply from Dave.
I've never been treated this poorly by anyone in the motorcycle business.
Something is worng at Anderwerks but I can't fix that, I just want my refund.

I appreciate your comments supporting Dave, and I realize Dave surely has his side of the story
but his handling of this matter is way below reasonable standards

Jim
jdcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Lav1200
Pig Pen
 
Lav1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Oddometer: 1,213
Maybe I'm old-fashioned... but why would you send 1/2 dozen emails instead of simply picking up the phone and calling him straight away? It's quite possible your explanation of the issue got lost in translation with email - something that could have been avoided with a live conversation with Dave. If I had an issue as serious as that, I'd be getting the guy on the phone pronto instead of relying on my email getting through to him.

Sorry to hear of your woes - hope you get satisfaction.
__________________
'11 Gas Gas EC250
'06 KTM 950 Adv
'79 Laverda 1200
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
fastredbike
recovering
 
fastredbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 532
I've dealt with Dave and the staff at Anderwerks several times over the years. I always found their work to be very good, not cheap or especially fast, but competent and thorough. Obviously something went wrong here and I can only suggest fewer emails and more phone calls might have speeded up communications, but maybe not. There aren't a lot of dates in your account of the story but I know that shop gets busy in the spring and Dave is in the shop more than at his computer.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
jdcross OP
Adventurer
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
I've dealt with Dave and the staff at Anderwerks several times over the years. I always found their work to be very good, not cheap or especially fast, but competent and thorough. Obviously something went wrong here and I can only suggest fewer emails and more phone calls might have speeded up communications, but maybe not. There aren't a lot of dates in your account of the story but I know that shop gets busy in the spring and Dave is in the shop more than at his computer.
I have all the dates of each of my attempts to correspond but I was not wanting to go into as much detail as I already have.
I agree with you on the phone calls and if you can easily reach someone by phone it's usually faster and better.

Some people however are busy and I think Dave is one of them so rather than leave messages I thought email would be better to explain a problem and email can be read easily outside of business hours.

That said I'm sure I could have done a better job on trying to use the phone.

I do believe though at some point in dealing with one of these issues you know that it's going to be better to have a written record of communications rather than trying to remember what was said on the phone.

However I do think there is a responsibilty on a business owner to initiate contact with his customer where there is clearly something amiss and Dave has not made a single attempt to call or email me through this whole period.
It's the stonewalling that has esclated the issue.

Jim

jdcross screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 07:30 PM Reason: spelling
jdcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer
 
DaveBall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 1,161
Hmmm, I think it would have been better to just pick up the phone and give Dave a call. I am sure that if you got him on the phone and discussed the issue that he would take proper care of you and your problem. At this time of year, a lot of shops are pretty busy. Possibly he just isn't all that comfortable with email and maybe leaves it on the back burner to get to when he has more time. Who knows? Spend the few pennies and make the call.

I also question sending the unit all that way to begin with. You have a very respectable BMW trained technician much closer that always stands behind his work. Shail's Motorcycles has always done me right. He was factory trained on Airheads when they were new. Some of his mechanics were also trained that way. If he can't fix something, it just can't be fixed. His shop is in Langley BC, which is a whole lot closer. He has worked on all of my airheads over the years, starting back in 1979 when I bought my very first one.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
jdcross OP
Adventurer
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Hmmm, I think it would have been better to just pick up the phone and give Dave a call. I am sure that if you got him on the phone and discussed the issue that he would take proper care of you and your problem. At this time of year, a lot of shops are pretty busy. Possibly he just isn't all that comfortable with email and maybe leaves it on the back burner to get to when he has more time. Who knows? Spend the few pennies and make the call.

I also question sending the unit all that way to begin with. You have a very respectable BMW trained technician much closer that always stands behind his work. Shail's Motorcycles has always done me right. He was factory trained on Airheads when they were new. Some of his mechanics were also trained that way. If he can't fix something, it just can't be fixed. His shop is in Langley BC, which is a whole lot closer. He has worked on all of my airheads over the years, starting back in 1979 when I bought my very first one.
I've dealt with Shail's for years and before I sent the drive to Anderwerks I took it in to Shail in Langley and discussed the lateral play issue. Shail told me to ignore it which I didn't want to do because of the cost of a failure. That sent me looking for someone who I thought could do it properly and I felt Anderwerks would do that.

If I call someone and they are busy I'll leave a message but I'll also email them as to what I wanted to talk about.
I don't think a customer is totally responsible for initiating all communication or spending a great deal of time trying to call someone on the phone if they aren't readily available.

That's where email is so useful as you can get a detailed message in writing to be read once you're in the office.
For example Dave emailed me to tell me he opened a work order on my final drive and emailed me an invoice for payment. so I assumed email was part of the way Anderwerks did business.

If a business offers email and does business by email then shouldn't they should have someone reading the mail and responding to it. How is a customer to know otherwise?

In any event I am hopeful Anderwerks will refund my money
$600 is a big deal when you're retired on a pension.

Jim
jdcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,062
since we are airing some laundry,
imho, you should of just called the store told them your woes, told them your bringing the bike back.
i hAve been in the service industry forever, with out a doubt, i feel he can't help you if you don't bring it back, give him a chance to make it right. since you got it fix else where, thats on you.
if your just asking for your money back without letting him look at the bike, i wouldn't give your money back either... sorry

if some judge gives you the award, he'd be on some cheap drugs...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
jdcross OP
Adventurer
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
since we are airing some laundry,
imho, you should of just called the store told them your woes, told them your bringing the bike back.
i hAve been in the service industry forever, with out a doubt, i feel he can't help you if you don't bring it back, give him a chance to make it right. since you got it fix else where, thats on you.
if your just asking for your money back without letting him look at the bike, i wouldn't give your money back either... sorry

if some judge gives you the award, he'd be on some cheap drugs...
I don't think you realize I live on Vancouver Island and we're talking about a final drive which was mailed to Calgary.
and then mailed back to BC.
I couldn't just mail it back without some assurance Dave would agree to redo it.
Otherwise Dave would have my drive and I nothing but more shipping costs back and forth.
If Dave had looked at the pictures I sent, saw there was a problem, offered to redo it, this issue would never have risen.
Dave never offered.

In any event I can see your point of view and understand your support of Dave.

Jim
jdcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wolfgang55's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Next to Rio Bravo
Oddometer: 3,334
Don't know either party.

After reading & rereading all post here, I must say that JIM has a real founded complaint.
Email is a common media to send & receive data.

I hate to hear of a good shop going bad but this issue sounds like something is not working on DAVE's end.

If this was a complaint coming in from a inmate of thousands of postings, would it be more believable?
Or should JIM be only asking about tire PSI in his off road travels?

You supporters of DAVE should be calling DAVE & asking what happen. Or better yet email him & see if you get one back.
I would have taken the bike to the shop on an appointment. This needed to be more of a hands on for both parties.

This thread may be important to anyone thinking of having tech work done at DAVE's shop.
The DAVE supporters are good to hear from as well.
This may take some of the sting out of the OP but should also tell DAVE to work closer at this level to ensure this does not happen again.

But to ignore a customer for all those emails is just not good business.

I would bet DAVE is now rethinking his earlier handling of this FD issue.

Jim, good luck to you on your R100.

Dave good to hear from your supporters. Can we hear from you?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcross View Post
I've been a member of Adve ture Ruders for some time but as you have corectly stated I have not posted before.
I am an active member of the Airheads List. I live in Qualicum Beac BC and am retired. I have a 1988 R100RT and a 1995 Ducati 900 SP both with collector plates.
My R100RT had some lateral play and as I was restoring it I wanted the drive fixed. I looked at a number of shops but chose Dave at Anderwerks as I was aware he had an excellent reputation and he told he he could do the job right.
Dave charged me 10.05 hours of labour.
When I got the drive back and installed I took a test ride and found oil on my rear tire and drips coming from the final drive. I removed the rear wheel and could see the leak coming from the crown gear cover.
I emailed Dave about the leak.
No reply from Dave.
I took another test ride - same leak problem.
This time I emailed Dave with lots of pictures.
No reply from Dave.
I emailed Dave agian asking if the problem could be a simple gasket leak and asked if I could fix it myself.
No reply from Dave
I took the problem to the Airhead list and the consensus was the drive needed to be opened up to see what the problem was.
I resent all of my emails to Dave in case he had missed them.
No reply from Dave
I then wrote Dave a letter on June 28 th saying that after no response from him about my problem I was sending the final drive to Tom Cutter in Pennsylvania for repair and asked for a refund of his invoice.
On july 16 th I got an email from Mike, Dave's technician who did the work. He said they wanted to fix the problem which was good but I told Mike they had left it too long, the drive was gone and I wanted a refund.
Mike said Dave would contect me.
No reply from Dave
Tom Cutter found the final drive to be incorrectly shimmed and not sealed according to the latest BMW tech bulletin.
Tom reshimmed and sealed the drive correctly and charged me just over 1/3 the hours Dave charged.
After numerous emails from me with no reply I finallly got Dave on the phone.
He could have aplogized right then and offered to stnad behind the problem but instead he told me he wanted to check with some other BMW techs about repairs and would get back to me.
No reply from Dave.
I called Dave again, he was not available, I left a message to call me back
No call back or email from Dave.
Last week I requested Dave clarify whether he would refund my money by the end of week.
No reply from Dave.
I've never been treated this poorly by anyone in the motorcycle business.
Something is worng at Anderwerks but I can't fix that, I just want my refund.

I appreciate your comments supporting Dave, and I realize Dave surely has his side of the story
but his handling of this matter is way below reasonable standards

Jim

I'm going to go against the theme of the responses here, and agree with you that Anderwerks has clearly dropped the ball here. Just like in my business,,,,you are only as good as your last job,,,until it's fixed. It should seem fairly obvious to everyone here scrambling to cover Anderwerks' ass that the owner here of the R100Rt could not have done anything by installing the unit to the bike that could have compromised any work done by Anderwerks.
Until Anderwerks bucks up and actually responds to any one of your e-mails, he's got to waer this. E-mails are not a new way of communicating in this second decade of the 21st century. Infact,,,the customer here actually is giving Anderwerks time to look into the situation, think out an appropriate response, and recify the situation. Phoning a retail shop,,,from EVERYONE's experience, can often get a shop owner/representative who is quite busy, rattled, with other lines on hold, and often not up to the task regarding the particular customers questions.
If Anderwerks had responded to even ONE of your e-mails, you probably would not have entered this thread.
I say, Anderwerks wears this particular dirty shirt until they fix the situation.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Deuce
Crazy Canuck
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
since we are airing some laundry,
imho, you should of just called the store told them your woes, told them your bringing the bike back....
Check your geography. He lives on Vancouver Island, B.C. Anderwerks is in Calgary, Alberta. Hard to bring the bike back when it's in pieces in another province.
__________________
I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.
-- Winnie the Pooh
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
R12Battletub
nooblet
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 306
Ten hours?! Did you hide it somewhere and make them find it first? Should be three or four for a pro and seven or eight for us noobs. Agree that maybe a phone call or two may have helped.
R12Battletub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014