Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
togume OP
On the Black Beast

Oddometer: 48
Fairbanks by Friday, Deadhorse Next - Beers, Partners, Advice?

I'll finally be in Fairbanks by this Friday, Aug. 31st, with the goal of making it to Deadhorse as soon as possible. I'm
Quite excited.

Currently on the ferry set to arrive at Haines on tomorrow morning at 1:30am, and doing two pulls to Fairbanks.

It being Friday, would anyone care to meet up for a beer?

Secondly, is anyone going up there around this time? I don't mind waiting a few days.

Third, any general advice? I saw the other post about Coldfoot and Wiseman, which will likely happen depending on conditions. Am I nuts to try it this late in the year? Anything in particular about this time?

Thanks!

Bonus pic:

Clear
Sailing today into Juneau
togume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,671
Good Sources of Info

You could be okay... You could be miserable...

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa....html?areaId=6

http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php...FG&type=public

http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
welcome to the tail end to the summer that wasn't injoy the cold and the wet possibly the snow.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Yeah, while everbody else was sweating we were having the coldest July on record. Finally got a couple of warmer days so it was only the second coldest.

Only advice I can give is to try and not ride in the dark. I know there are critters down south that can do you in but we have had 3 motorcycle moose fatalities so far this year. I don't know why but the dang things blend into the road really well at night.

Have fun and stay warm.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 208
When your in range..

Drop a dime 1-907-978-6715. Got all the information you might need.
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
My wife works in the store at Deadhorse. She said there was snow in the pass the other day.....don't know if it is still there or not. She said snow was predicted in Deadhorse, but hasn't seen any so far.

Looks like you are going to get wet for sure.......maybe some snow. Keep an eye on the weather here... http://www.arh.noaa.gov/
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
togume OP
On the Black Beast

Oddometer: 48
Ready. Set. Go.

Thanks for the great info, guys. I've been studying the weather, landscape, and route. Feeling good about it.

I had the opportunity to meet AK Bob and his rides yesterday, as well as Steve and his beautiful '90 PD. They gave me great advice. Thanks!

The plan was to leave for Deadhorse today, but after filling myself up with delicious Thai food last night (Lemongrass Thai), I decided to push the ride one day. I felt that I could use a zero day to plan, rest, and the kicker was that I did not want to deal with the road conditions due to the caribou opener today.

I'm very excited about this ride, including the possibility of snow, eating a burger at the "Hot Spot", camping by the "Last Tree", and seeing if I can do a polar bear swim at the top of the continent.

Bonus Pic:

Sunset from Fairbanks Airport
togume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Bark
Panic Dancer

Pretty nice of Bob to meet up with you.
Good pictures. I havent been to Deadhorse since 1982.
They still didn't allow non pipeline workers to be on the Haul Road then.
Have a good one.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 208
Ok so where is you anyway?

Are you still ok or did the "Road of Death" get you? Barley Therapy was at the Gulch last night..
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Bark
Panic Dancer

He should just stay up North for a few more days. We are getting slammed by rain and wind down in Anch and the Kenai.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Looking for the update. We were in Deadhorse in mid August. We spent Friday night next to where the Circle Hot Springs used to be. I guess we were the only pople in Alaska that didn't know they were closed. OK, thought we would go up to Circle for breakfast. Hmmmmm, only one place to eat and they were only open Monday through Friday, from noon to six. No gas in Circle until after 12:00 on Saturday. Rode back to Central and had lunch and got gas. Rode back down to Fox, in the rain. Got to Fox at 2:30. Got gas. Decided to head to Deadhorse. Already wet and muddy so why not. Rolled into Coldfoot at 9:00, got gas and went to the Marion Creek Campground. Saturday started off misty but not raining hard. The road was still pretty muddy from three days of rain. Great ride from Coldfoot to Deadhorse. We got the last room in Deadhorse, at Deadhorse Camp, the one that you go by first, on the outskirts of town. What a great place to stay. Food was outstanding. It was raining Monday morning but the weather looked good in Coldfoot so we left at 6:00 am to get ahead of the rain. 75 miles south we rode out of the rain into the sun. What a great ride down. Got to the turn to Manley at 7:00 pm so we decided to ride out to Manley. Beautiful ride. Camped on the lawn by the Roadhouse. Got up in a downpour and rode out on the slipperiest mud we rode on in all of Alaska. Wow, it was like dinasour snot. That's a lot of dirt and mud in three days!! The day after we headed south out of Deadhorse it snowed and closed the road at Atigun Pass.
I would highly recommend the Dalton. If it's raining, I guess I would just say to go. The road is so long that there is a good chance you will just ride out of the rain before you get up there. The views from below and above Atigun Pass are incredible.
Hopefully you will get a chance to follow a road grader with the tire accessory off the back of it. It is the wildest thing to follow. Makes the bike feel like it wants to throw you to the ground. We followed one for miles coming down from Circle, and a couple of them on the Dalton. Can't explain it, you just have to follow one to know what I'm talking about.
Have a great ride. I am hoping to go back up in two years. I was on the road for seven weeks. 13,000 miles. Basically, every road in Alaska, connected to a road, I rode. To the end. Great trip. Even though it was a wet and cool summer, I had a fantastic trip.

oclv454 screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 09:50 PM Reason: spelling
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Bark
Panic Dancer

Yep, I am also interested to see where togume has wound up at.
The last few days have seen some serious rain and wind.

Sounds like your trip was a good one. Sorry no circle hot springs. Chena hot springs is open year round and has supposodly had some really nice upgrades but I havent been there in a long time.

I was talking with some riders from NY State last week. Its kind of funny but they (like you) have ridden in areas of Alaska that I have never ridden in and I live here.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hey Able, Chena Hot Springs are pretty neat. I actually went there twice. Nice place. They only charge $10 ($15 if you need a towel) for the hot springs. It was nicely done. The first time, after my time in the hot springs, I camped on the river about 6 miles back down the road. Lots of nice camping on the river. The second time I spent the night at Chena. Needed to dry out after 3 days of steady rain. Manley Hot Springs is totally different. $5 per hour and reservation suggested as you get the whole place to yourself where at Chena you are in a big pool with lots of other people. Both are neat places, just totally different. Have you been to Nebesna??? Best night of the trip. Stayed at the Ellis's, Devil's Mountain Lodge. They are very nice people and the ride up there is spectacular. If there is a group of riders, they have a bunk room. Food is outstanding.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Bark
Panic Dancer

Thats the problem with living in Alaska. I never go anywhere.
Actually I have been to Nabesna but have never camped out or spent any time there.
Wife and I were just talking about how little of Alaska we actually go to anymore.
We spend more time camping in Moab and Quartzsite than we do up here.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able View Post
We spend more time camping in Moab and Quartzsite than we do up here.
Quartzsite??? We spend the winter in Bouse......just up the road. Several in our RV park ride. We like to ride to Prescott and Jerome for lunch......FUN road. Like you we do most of our riding in AZ during the winter.
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote