Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Pivot pegs make things easier, but you have to get used to them also.

My Crossfires have saved me from many ankle injuries and I never ride off road without them. I personally haven't found it too difficult to adapt to the pedals but then again the Crossfires aren't too fat in the toe box compared to some other boots.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,019
After they break in and you get used to them, you won't ride without them. I have Tech 8's that are over 10 years old and still in great shape. I throw them on every time the XRR moves, regardless of where I'm going. After you get the feel of it and adjust your levers and riding style nothing else feels right. Screwing around in the yard I'm typically wearing a t-shirt, jeans, no helmet, and tech 8's. Even riding the Girlfriend's TTR125 I wear them.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Wait until it's dark, put them on and go for a walk. They'll break in and loosen up for you. Or walk during the day. Guaranteed attention getter and conversation starter especially wearing shorts.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
isbb
n00b

Oddometer: 7
My Fox boots are going on 10 years old. Broke them I'm while washing my truck in the summer and soaking the piss out of them while walking around. They broke in great and have been awesome. As for the levers adjust them so they fit properly and are comfortable to shift and brake in. The feel and modulation will come with time.

sent from your mom's phone
isbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 118
Not quite MX boots, but I ride in my Sidi Adventures on any ride that is more than running around or to work and never had any issues once I got used to them. I do have Pivot Pegs, and commute in combat boots on a daily basis, and the Adventures have been soaked a couple times which probably helped break them in -- maybe that helps.

Did you know waterproof boots are not waterproof if you're wearing mesh pants when it rains? Or maybe they are waterproof, since the water doesn't seem to come out until you take them off and pour it out...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Pivot pegs make things easier, but you have to get used to them also.

My Crossfires have saved me from many ankle injuries and I never ride off road without them. I personally haven't found it too difficult to adapt to the pedals but then again the Crossfires aren't too fat in the toe box compared to some other boots.
I love my Crossfires. I started out wearing some Sidi MX boots (very similar to the Aerostich CBT's) on my 1150GS, and after that, felt like I was underequipped with road boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz363 View Post
Wait until it's dark, put them on and go for a walk. They'll break in and loosen up for you. Or walk during the day. Guaranteed attention getter and conversation starter especially wearing shorts.
Been there, done that, got the strange looks. Personally, I think the Crossfires look GREAT with shorts. Kinda like a stormtrooper-on-the-beach look. Sexy!

If I can find a sidestand with one of those nubs on the side to make it easier to reach, I'd wear my Crossfires with my XR1200. They're comfy boots. As it stands, my go-to daily boots are Thor 50-50's.

and to the OP: yeah, as others have said, you'll get used to it.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
MadOgre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I'm a Street Rider. New to anything that isn't Pavement. When I got my KTM 535 MXC, I also got a pair of Tech 8 boots.
First impression was that they are much like Snow Boots.
Normally I ride wearing a pair of Icon Elsinore's... The Tech 8's however, as stiff as they are, feels like they are giving me a ton of stability. Standing on the pegs is more solid. Putting a foot down doesn't feel as risky or sketchy.
I like wearing the appropriate gear, and good boots is certainly that.
MadOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,937
I also wear my MX boots both on and off road. Like everyone has said, you'll get used to them. Adjust your controls to suit. I get alot of funny looks from the road riding fashionistas, but hey, who cares what they think. I feel naked without them. My method for a quick boot break in is to put them on, fill them with hot water, buckle snug and go for a walk. I mowed the lawn with the last pair, works great.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Different Boots

I bought new Tech 10s and they aren't as tall in the toe area. Big improvement in ease of shifting. No boots in dirt is big no no.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcj65 View Post
i found that you have to get used to them. well worth it in a crash but sucks if you have to walk.
What he said...all true. I've had a few brands and the cheaper ones do tend to break-in quicker, but then they also get loose a lot quicker too. Once they've reached the point where they're not keeping your ankle stabilized, it's time to get new ones.

My tech8's are nice...they have the comfortable boot insert and still have the super stiff exterior. High suck factor if you have to walk very far in them though...pushed a dead bike uphill in the woods with them on and it was a killer.
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
What he said...all true. I've had a few brands and the cheaper ones do tend to break-in quicker, but then they also get loose a lot quicker too. Once they've reached the point where they're not keeping your ankle stabilized, it's time to get new ones.

My tech8's are nice...they have the comfortable boot insert and still have the super stiff exterior. High suck factor if you have to walk very far in them though...pushed a dead bike uphill in the woods with them on and it was a killer.
Ah yes...

I had a pair of Alpinestars Tech 2's that I liked and wore all the time on my KTM 950 SM. The first time I wore them on my Tuono I couldn't shift into second gear. I now have a pair of Sidi street boots, and don't feel under protected.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpackrider View Post
I only ride w Gaerne SG12's... and they took some getting used to. but can shift and break w/o any issues.
I just got the same boots, thought it was time to upgrade considering how I've been riding on a new to me WR450, had a pretty nasty wreck first day out on them and am one lucky SOB that I had them on.
After getting thrown over head first, the bike landed on my lower legs, torn ligaments in my right ankle and left knee, but the hospital said that the boots saved me from having some serious bone fractures and splintering.

I'll never ride without a good mx boot again.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
msanna, gosh, all the best in your healing/rehab. Glad to hear it wasn't worse. good thing you had your gear on.

Did 400 miles on Saturday last, up thru Napa, Saratoga, the back down to SF Bay area. I cannot lie, that putting on all the gear I do is hot, and cumbersome sometimes, well, even alot of times... in my area..but it's stories like yours that remind me and focus me to see past minor discomforts, and scratch protection off my mental list, turning my focus on all the other challenges riding brings.. cages, squirrels, gravel, etc...

get well soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
I have a pair of Tech 3s. Love them, yes they were stiff as shit when i first got them. I was riding my YZ250 at the time, i had to actually lift my foot off the peg to shift. They will break in trust me, mine are nice and soft now. Going on 7 yrs now.

Chris
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #30
Dualta
Dualta

Oddometer: 28
I just bought a new pair of Tech 3 ATs, the enduro style version of the MX boots. Not that much difference beyond the ATs having a stitched sole. Yeah, stiff like blocks. I've also just bought a second hand XT225, and when I first wore the boots on it there was no way I was going to get my toes under the shifter, so I rode around the block in first gear scaring the kids and cats. Then I raised the shift lever a few notches and then it was no issue getting my toe under, so shifting became possible, if not strange. The boots are so thick I can't feel the lever under them, but I reckon they'll soften in time. I wore them around outside today as I washed the bike and even after 30 minutes, they were softening up nicely. Very comfortable boots.
Dualta is offline   Reply With Quote