User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #31
SuperRat
No Longer Lurking

Oddometer: 24
5 cords firewood

I broke in my Tech 3s with a total of 6 hours on the logsplitter. Wife and I took turns...she took care of the small stuff while I ran the handle, I took care of the big stuff while she ran the handle. Boots broke in very well. Next year I will probably wear my kneepads, too.
SuperRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #32
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Been using Fox Comp 5s for a few years now, crf230l that I learned on didn't have much room, but I got used to after a while. I think that you may need to adjust your BMW's shifter though. Judging by the seating position, it appears that your bike is designed to ridden sitting down, where as with MX boots, you're standing up. The stiffness also helps you feel more "planted" when maneuvering standing up. You may even with to swap out your footpegs to something more aggressive. Or at least sharpen them.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #33
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 846
I have a pair of Alpinestars WP Scout boots. There much heavier than a street boot, not quite as hardcore as an MX boot. Great for riding the GS.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #34
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I have a pair of Alpinestars WP Scout boots. There much heavier than a street boot, not quite as hardcore as an MX boot. Great for riding the GS.

I bought a pair of those recently and found out I am going to have to reposition the shifters on my bikes. They are not easy to break in and that toe compartment probably has room for replacement digits. May have to go for a long walk in them and just hang my head in shame as people stare.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #35
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I bought a pair of those recently and found out I am going to have to reposition the shifters on my bikes. They are not easy to break in and that toe compartment probably has room for replacement digits. May have to go for a long walk in them and just hang my head in shame as people stare.

Yeah, I had to reposition my foot controls. I needed more space. The toe box of the boot is quite large.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #36
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
I always wore work boots....

Until last year i got a pair of MX boots. I was having a hell of a time trying to shift.

Then a inmate told me I was doing it all wrong. Can't really shift with your ankle, one must use the knee.

Problem solved.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #37
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Try running in them for a bit and walking, lots of walking. Beforehand, warm them in the sun and rub some leather conditioner into them. Invite your kids to stomp on your toes.

Adjust the shifter up a little. Then all you need to do is get used to the higher shifter when wearing ordinary boots.

I drag mine on the road a little bit to ease the edges when new.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #38
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
I can't remember the model I had - they were stiff, but worked fine on the KTM 950 SM. I picked up my new bike wearing some hiking boots. Came home, put on the MX type boots, and left the house for a longer ride. Couldn't shift into second. D'oh! Went back and put the hiking boots back on.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #39
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I find that riding my GS with MX boots, makes it nearly impossible to shift. What bike are you using them for? They are pretty much designed to be used for dirtbikes....
the shifter is designed to be adjusted for different foot/boot sizes
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #40
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
Plastic boots may require leg movement to shift since ankle movement is near impossible.

Hybrid and leather boots (yes boys, MX boots used to be leather) can break in to allow ankle movement sufficient to shift with ankle movement alone. I can pretty much shift like any other shoe with my well broken in old HiPoints (now sold as vintage look Alpinestar Super Victory boots).

So if the 3s don't have the flexibility get used to lifting your foot to shift and same to brake.

I will also say when you have smaller feet, like I do, you still have to move your foot around. I end up with my heel on the peg to lift the lever due to my size 7 foot. I have shortened or rebent shifters to get them closer to the peg a few times, but that alters leverage and makes it harder to shift up due to more effort needed.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #41
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
I spent a significant portion of today in my new Alpinestars Scouts, it's going to be an adjustment, that's for sure. This was my second time out in them, and I feel like I did better, I didn't miss any shifts this time. I have no idea how people ride in the plastic stormtrooper boots. I'm sure, much like me and my new boots, one adjusts, but it just looks like you'd never be able to do anything with grace and finesse, just stomp and smash. I did try adjusting my shift lever one notch higher, but I felt it made it too high for comfortable downshifting.

I'll work on it. I'm sure a thousand miles from now it'll all be second nature. For right now, I miss my Redwings, but probably not as much as I'd miss my ankle(s) should I need the protection of the boots.

MV
Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #42
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
The break-in period is worth it. Get through that and adjust your controls and it'll be good-to-go!
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #43
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

I've had mine for 1500 miles. They have broken in, and shifting is effortless. The first couple of miles, I did feel like I was wearing Ronald Mcdonalds shoes.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #44
Trialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
If you find that rotating the shifter on the shaft doesn't ease getting your toe under it, it may be too short for your size foot in MX boots. I wear size 12's, and have no issues when wearing my Gaerne trials boots , but the SG10 MXers were too crowded. I bought a Hammerhead shifter with the +10mm longer offset and wider tip and have had no problems since.

In any case, I shift by lifting my left leg, and not just placing my toe under and bending my ankle.
Trialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #45
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,665
Give it a few rides and adjust the position of the gear shifter, probably higher a click or two.