ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
With three weekends in a row this should be a great fall..........................."IN"
I guess I might as well set up camp for a month

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
hackrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
ADVCoot:
I don't know why that 250 wooouldn't work great. We have two guys going that will be on yamaha 250's. They always do well. There will be everything: dirt, sand (about 200 yards), gravel, pavement. If it rains there will be some muddy spots, but nothing impossible. Should be a fun ride. Hope you show up.
hackrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I guess I might as well set up camp for a month

BigDog

Your a Hoosier by proxy anyway................................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #19
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
There are great riding areas in Southern Indiana that have been kept pretty hidden. Join other Dual Sport Riders and see what your've been missing.

Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
MOTO818
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm in!

Count me in! Keep the details coming.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
Almost missed this one. Needs Southern Indiana in the title.

Looks pretty awesome!!
Can't say "IN" just yet as 2 weekends of riding in a row might be pushing it.
I did and took down my vacation days that covered this.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
billgo77
billgo77

Oddometer: 68
Interlake this weekend

I spent some time at Interlake this weekend. It's really pretty as you can see from the photos. I usually ride my 250 but this weekend I tried my 650 Versys. I was a little more tentative, but it was certainly enjoyable nonetheless. Hope you enjoy the view as much as me. Billgo77
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...7/4351adfb.jpg

billgo77 screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 07:58 PM Reason: add 2nd photo
billgo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
Backerthebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I think I probably rode a good portion of your route today. Muddy at Interlake. Saw that fire tower too...

Count me in!
Backerthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 289
Wink

surely we don't have to remind anyone to bring along your spares and tools - or friends that do

we have been promised that they'll have the Yankeetown bridge decked before November - I think we have a knobby tire reroute around it - we'll make sure that the GPS tracks show an alternate if required.

Pretty sure that everyone will love Boner Bridge - just got a brand new deck this summer - quite a site to see!

Supposedly, Boner Bridge is longest bridge of it’s kind in Indiana and also supremely rare. It’s an iron bowstring bridge that was built all the way back in 1860's. Still in use today to connect Warrick County and Spencer County. Its three arching spans stretch across Little Pigeon River. According to the Spencer County Tourism Website, Boner Bridge is the “longest, bowstring, wrought iron, through truss bridge structure in the state of Indiana.”

Don't want to Miss this ONE.

Gonna be a great ride - so excited to see those interested - Looking forward to riding with you all - Keep watching for updates
Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
So guys it looks really fun but we need more details. where is it going to be at? is there lodging in the area? whats the gas situation, can we run a stock KTM tank and make it between gas locations? whats the buy in, is this a club ride, an AMA ride, an ADV rider get together? I probably have a bunch more stupid questions,but a little stupid goes a long way and I got plenty to go around.
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #26
billgo77
billgo77

Monte Cassino is NOT a place to gamble

The ride will be going through "Catholic Corner" in Spencer County, so there will be some Catholic themed sights to see. One of my favorites is Monte Cassino, which is a small chapel built on a hill on the edge of the town St Meinrad. The Chapel was built to honor Mother Mary for her intercession to Jesus to save the town from Small Pox in approx 1870. On the anniversary of the original pilgrimage each year, January 13, and several times through the year, the monks from the nearby Monastary make the 1.5 mile walk to the small chapel for prayers. It's quite a sight. The Chapel is open- and it is completely appropriate for a dirty, smelly motorcycle guy to stop in for some quiet time. (well, I've never been thrown out!) Stop by and see this historic and traditional place.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
billgo77
billgo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by little john View Post
So guys it looks really fun but we need more details. where is it going to be at? is there lodging in the area? whats the gas situation, can we run a stock KTM tank and make it between gas locations? whats the buy in, is this a club ride, an AMA ride, an ADV rider get together? I probably have a bunch more stupid questions,but a little stupid goes a long way and I got plenty to go around.

Where the heck is the LIKE button on this thing. I LIKE your stupid questions. Im sure several otjhers are thinking the same questions and just haven't asked them yet.

There are several local riders contributing ideas, planning, routing support, etc. to the ride. GPS routes will be shared soon enough, and most riders will be running on small groups on Nov 3 and 4. It is more of a "run what ya brung event" and" feel free to follow these GPS coordinates we've conveniently put together for ya".

There's always help for the occasional flat tire or other mechanical break downs. Most will stop and help, but a few rascals seem more comfortable slowing down, snapping a photo, and posting in on this site for everyone to comment on after the great ride!

Someone help me with the real answers to the questions LITTLE JOHN has asked. Hope to see ya there.
billgo77
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 289
Doesn't sound stupid to me - and your gonna have to try real hard to be more stooopid that me - All good questions and we'll answer them all - keep asking them no matter what - None of them are stupid -

yes, yes yes, DETAILS..............I promise they are coming - this is our first attempt at coordinating a ride and trying to get everything squared away and confirmed - I can tell you it takes lots and lots of time. We WERE planning to have everything ready to go in August and post it up all at once.

Guess what - that didn't happen.............so - we posted the ticklers and dates just to get this ride on everyone's calendar.

I'll try to summarize:

ADV, unofficial, find your own way there, provide your own lodging and food, no buy in, no costs, no services provided, get together, ride at your own risk, GPS tracks along public roads, visit fun, historical, out of the way places that you would miss if you weren't from here ( and some that you would ), self guided, bring along your friends, street legal dual sport and adventure type motorcycles, gonna have a lotta fun, hope it rains to keep the dust down, lots of gravel roads and river bottom farm access dirt roads, trying to stay off pavement as much as possible, etc..............hate to keep rambling, but if you've been to the Missouri Swinging Bridges Ride, Hoosier National Forest Ride, Kentuckiana Icebreaker Ride, or any of the other ADVRIDER type here's a GPS track - a couple of us are going to ride these roads/trails on this date - we'd love it if you were there too (whew) kind of rides - we're trying to do it like them ('cause they've all done a great job plotting out routes to places I would probably miss on my own). Make any sense yet or am I just confusing the issue - Hope NOT.

South Western Indiana Area - starting from Flying J truck stop near the Intersection of Interstate 64 and US Highway 41 (just North of Evansville, IN). Plannig to leave around 7am on saturday morning (or earlier or later - you can leave whenever you would like). Four Hotels at the Interstate intersection: Super 8, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn & Best Western Plus - I'll try to get us a discounted rate for ADV riders - couple of campgorunds not too far away for the campers also - couple of great area restaraunts close by for Friday evening arrivals. Plenty of parking for trucks and trailers for anybody that's hauling bikes.

Plenty of gas - as long as you can make 75 miles or so you're in great shape - i'm guessing nobody will have trouble excepting for any two strokers that show up

Saturday will be about a 200 mile ride through the south west corner of Indiana and we'll end up in Rockport, IN - there's a hotel there and camp grounds for lodging and a couple of places to eat - we'll post that info along with contact numbers for Friday nights hotels soon.

Sunday will be a shorter 100 to 125 mile ride from Rockport near the western edge of the Hoosier Nation Forest, Ferdinand State Forest, Pike State Forest, Interlake OHVA, and back to the Flying J truck stop. This should get everyone back to the Flying J by early afternoon so they can head for home.

Sorry about the lack of details so far - pictures are supposed to worth a thousand words - and I like looking a pictures better than reading - guess I forgot that we need to post some details also.

Ride Safe - More Details to be Posted
Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
[QUOTE=Loose Nut;19520883]Doesn't sound stupid to me - and your gonna have to try real hard to be more stooopid that me - All good questions and we'll answer them all - keep asking them no matter what - None of them are stupid -

yes, yes yes, DETAILS..............I promise they are coming - this is our first attempt at coordinating a ride and trying to get everything squared away and confirmed - I can tell you it takes lots and lots of time. We WERE planning to have everything ready to go in August and post it up all at once.

Guess what - that didn't happen.............so - we posted the ticklers and dates just to get this ride on everyone's calendar.

as someone who helps to put on 2 events a year I know exactly where you are coming from with that statement!!!!! I'm going to try and shake a couple other 'sconnies loose to come play! sounds like a ball!
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #30
billgo77
billgo77

Monte Cassino- still no gambling

I found a couple more interesting pix of the small chapel on the hill. I also discovered a quarry next to the church where they got sandstone to build the church and many other structures at the monastary a couple miles away. Them old Germans are pretty crafty!