Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Colorado Springs/ Denver/ Wyoming/ Moab, UT

Trip Planning

I will be going on a Ride on my 2013 F800GS with my Fiancé Pauline and future father in law Cliff (in his own vehicle) from Buckley AFB to see some family in the springs this past weekend. Unfortunately yesterday when we were driving around yesterday we ran into bad weather. I like riding in the rain. But her not so much. We will be going to cherry creek state park tomorrow. We were going to go to yellow stone but they didn’t have space available unfortunately. Both of them will arrive on July 4th, and i will spend some much needed time with her and her father for a few days. Then on July 8th we will be heading out to cherry creek to do a little sightseeing horse back riding and trail hiking. After two days at cherry creek i will separate from my lovely Fiancé and her Father and they will drive back to Indiana. I plan to see my Aunt and Uncle in South west Wyoming. Following my short visit to see them I will head lone wolf to Moab, Utah on the 11th. I plan on doing Onion Creek, Delores River and the Arches National park. Nothing crazy as i am not only by myself but i want to mitigate damage before me and my father do the COBDR in beginning of September this year. I plan on staying in a tent there for 2 days. I have been to Moab on 2 separate occasions in the past once in 2011 and then again with my father in 2012 for the UTBDR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775951

Also for anyone interested we are looking for someone for September 7th-15th to do the COBDR with us. We would very much appreciate a chase vehicle as we have 3 total people that will be riding so far. We also would love to have anyone wanting to ride along with us also. The more the merrier. Just PM myself or
URBAN-ERTTACTIRIDER.

My riding experience consists of, in 2010 My father, Step mom, Sister, and myself trailering out to Moab. I rode an ATV (i was only 16 at the time) and we rode on a lot of mild to moderate trails around Moab and American Fork in UT. Nothing to extremely difficult for a whole week and i have now about 10k on my first bike a KLX 250s(sold), about 18k on my second bike a KLR 650(sold), and as of now i have about 8500 on my F800gs. In 2012 my father and I traveled 4000miles Round trip from Indiana to Utah for the BDR there and then through SD and some other northern states. (Link is in first paragraph) i also do my own small time off road on my own here and there to keep me sharp.

I have been in the Airforce now for just under 2 years as a medic. I am huge on preparedness. I fully intend on using this trip to test out my kit. I will use every opportunity i can to test my gear out and make sure I’m good to go on everything i need. Now for those who may be interested i will be doing Full Reviews of all my Kit and gear used and give the pros and cons of each of the items i bring along after the trip. I will bring along my computer to update everyone and also have Topographical Butler maps, GPS on my bike with inputed Coordinates as well. Hope everyone enjoys my RR.

Saturday we went to Pikes Peak mountain. The ride up was alittle sketchy with the huge drop off and no rails at different points. It also stalled the engine at about a quarter mile from the top. At about 14000ft elevation. Took a second for it to start again. And I had no issues rest of the way up. Didn't think I would have an issue due to fuel injection. Anyone go a reason for why that would stall besides maybe my fuel/air mixture? Pics below

Here's yesterday's events we drove from the springs and were gone be going around Denver and just enjoying ourselves. We're going to cherry creek today. I've ridden about 500miles over the weekend and today.

Just for reference she was not on my bike in those sandals. She opted to drive in the car with her dad coming up from the springs.

Here's us yesterday at ROSIES DINER on Abilene st and Iliff ave

I will update everyday now on what we are doing. And how the trip is going.
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
rock on!!
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Jut settled in at cherry creek state park. Gonna be great to camp and work out any kinks in my gear or anything I may need for the future.

She stole my hat. Her and her dad are gonna stay in there huge tent. Whilst I stay in my NEMO 1P Tent. Which by the way is an exceptional tent. I've used it on multiple occasions and it just serves me well.
Gonna probably go swimming later in the lake here.
Here's a pic of my little tent.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Went to the reservoir here and had alittle swim and walk on the beach. Had some hobo stew (sausage, potatoes, green beans) boiled. Really hit the spot. Gonna go horse back riding tmro and some hiking. Then Thursday headed to Wyoming for some more family. Only plan on spendingthe rest of Thursday there and spending the night.

Here is us at the lake. With a goose photo bombing us in the background like a boss.

And a finally a couple of action shots of the bike before I tuck her in for the night.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Looking forward to the ride to Wyoming Tmro. Not looking forward to saying goodbye to the fiance till Christmas.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
Jut settled in at cherry creek state park. Gonna be great to camp and work out any kinks in my gear or anything I may need for the future.

Whilst I stay in my NEMO 1P Tent. Which by the way is an exceptional tent. Here's a pic of my little tent.

Uhhhhhm.... My Tent! Scuhhm!: Push you down!
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
Uhhhhhm.... My Tent! Scuhhm!: Push you down!
Nah. I don't remember that at all. Your the one who was like here's this tent I don't want. And I was like okay cool. I'll just keep it then. So sugggit
Old 07-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Ride from Denver to Green River, WY

So today adventure was more hardball then i prefer but i will surely make up for it this weekend in MOAB. Todays ride was from Denver to Green River Wyoming. On highway 25North i was baking on the highway with stop an go traffic for about 20miles. that was not fun by any means of the word. I have some family that i haven’t seen since i did the UTBDR in Apr 2012. Always love to see some family. My fiance left for Indiana today, and i went the opposite way. Safe travels to them.

Here is me leaving from Cherry Creek State Park in Denver

And this was a storm that was looming over me the whole trip and about every 100 miles I got about 20 min of solid rain. One thing I am not a fan of is Wyoming wind gusts. I was riding sideways most of the way here which was killing my neck and back. Met some other riders from indiana and one of them had a harley and the other a F800GSA. They were a little soft spoken. sorry but i wasn’t able to get a pic of them.

Then about 100mi from destination i had begun to run relatively low on gas. I have 2 spare bottles of gas equalling about 2Liters. i thought for sure i was going to run out. I hit 27Mi on reserve before i was able to get gas. Plus being on the highway i was trying to keep my Mpg at least 40-42 because i do believe that the reserve is 1gal. But with the winds and drag it was barely able to maintain 40mpg at 60mph.

My next post will be about arriving in moab and setting up my camp. Cant wait for Moab. It is an absolutely beautiful state.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Rharrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Ride safe
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Pissed

Thanks for the support. I'll ride as safe as I can. Not looking forward to the 97 degrees it said it will be in Moab today and Tmro.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Friday was a great ride. I saw so much huge wide open landscapes that were just amazing. This being one of them in Wyoming. The art gallery of time was immense and just beautiful. The pictures I took just don't give it justice.

Here's some another picture of the scenery

After some amazing rides through Wyoming through the rain and mountians, I made it to Utah.

Saw this little side road and decided to take a little detour up this steep hill and then it turned into flat gravel and dirt road for about 300m and then a left turn back into the road. I gotta say I wasn't disappointed. It had expansive views to the left. And a huge canyon gorge to the right.

After about 100mi and I ran across this amazing little off-road area that stretched as far as the eye could see of just hills and trails that if I had time I would've purposefully gotten lost in.
But don't worry. I spent about 15-20min driving through it. It was a blast. A small little dirt bike would've been great to have in here. Nice little jumps if you aren't careful.

Then add about 20miles down the road and I came across this bridge that you could take alittle run down side trail to go under the bridge and park. Seeing as how it was about 96 degrees I took alittle drink in the river. Really made me feel a lot better. I was really taking my time to get to Moab.

On the top the mountains I drove through and now down into the valley. Awesome ride through the twistys. Almost wish I had a sport bike to really take those switchbacks alittle tighter. But I love my F800.

And after about 400ish miles of riding. I made it to MOAB. Rode through Onion creek and chose one of farther inland camp sites to avoid people. Really enjoyed the spot I picked. Tree cover inside a canyon. And the creek about 20ft below me. I get alittle uncomfortable without somewhat cold water. It's one of my vices. I hate drinking hot water boiling water. It just doesn't do anything for me.
Here's my campsite. I parked the bike close to the tent for two reasons. 1 being that I wanted to hear someone rifling through my stuff. And 2 to block out the evening sun.

And then in the morning I finished out onion creek and did alittle more off-road and headed into town for this great little breakfast joint recommended to me. The Jailhouse Cafe. Wow. Definitely recommend this place for everyone. They have indoor and outdoor seating. And just extremely friendly people. Parking can be alittle skimp during busy business hours but it's still possible.

Afterwards I went to Arches National park. Been there once before and enjoyed it.

Here's balanced rock.

And here is judge towers.

And then from there I went back to Denver. Stopped in grand junction at the BMW shop to just poke around. Then headed back home.

Home sweet home. �� NOT...
And all in all about 1700mi driven and it was just great being on the road with no one around except my motorcycle and myself. Can't wait to do the COBDR with my father and his friend. Once again looking for any takers on the BDR or Sep6th-Sep13th. Give or take a day or two. We will arrive in Four Corners Sep6th. And start the 7th. PM me if interested

AirforceGSRider244 screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 06:00 PM
Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #12
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Great report.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Thanks. I'll be doing the report for the BDR also. It can be rather time consuming.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Thumb

Damn, wish i had seen this RR, just up the road from the home base............would have bought a Service member lunch and filled your tank.!! Im jealous of your bike, enjoy the ride.

Hello Kitty M16 rocks!!!
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote