User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Orgoth225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Best place to purchase Chang jiang/Dnepr

I think I will go on the path of trying to purchase a whole hack setup instead of just modding my Kz 400. So the big question now is simply who would you recommend as a reputable dealer?
Orgoth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Chang/Dnepr no clue. Ural - definitely Gene at Holopaw Corvette, fair, honest, experienced.
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
nhmaf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Holopaw Corvette is well recommended for URALs, and there are at least a number of URAL dealers around the country who could also be helpful, more or less - depending upon how "vintage" a URAL rig you might get. The same cannot be said about a C-J support network. You might do OK with a C-J, but I think it is much more of a "roll your own" situation..something to consider.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,036
http://www.vostokmotors.com/

These guys have a good rep for Dneprs.

These guys can get you a CJ:

http://scooterbob.com/
Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I bought my Ural at Triquest and my Dnepr from Vostok Motors... Both great service and choices !!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Depends on your state,
Dneprs shouldn't be a problem as most being brought in are actually vintage rigs, but many states and customs officials have wised up to the fact that most CJ's coming in are new with fraudulent paperwork.

Think long and hard before getting anything that hasn't been titled and registered.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
There is a Dnepr guy in Cleveland that most people on here would probably tell you to avoid dealing with. If you want to buy a Ural, Terry Crawford in South Lyon, MI (west side of Detroit) may be the closest.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,035
Looks like the Dnepr are a much better deal.
Like he Urals too, but $5K for an iffy Dnepr that you have to work on a lot seems like a better deal than a new Ural for $15K.
Which is also an iffy bike that you have to work on a lot

Both are cool, and I still want a hack rig.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Looks like the Dnepr are a much better deal.
Like he Urals too, but $5K for an iffy Dnepr that you have to work on a lot seems like a better deal than a new Ural for $15K.
Which is also an iffy bike that you have to work on a lot

Both are cool, and I still want a hack rig.
Used Dnepr vs new ural? What about used urals?
$1500 for the bike with no electrics, $200 trailer, I have maybe $800 in it over the past 36000 km for rebuilds, tires, etc... Parts are easy to find, and although it is frustrating me right now with crankshafts, I love it.

And don't think of it as a single brand, but a platform. If you are getting a project, there is nothing wrong with a chang-ural-dnepr. (Churapr??) I am looking at a dnepr engine that was supposedly overhauled professionaly as a possible future candidate for my ural when I break my engine again.

Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!

matman1972 screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 06:42 AM
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Luckily there have been no used Urals or Dneprs close to me that were in my price range.
I like the utilitarian look of the military models, wouldn't mind having to tinker with them as they seem pretty simple and shouldn't be very hard to work on.

If I had to tinker with and repair a new $15K bike I wouldn't be as happy tho.

My wife won't ride 2 wheels with me anymore, but said she would ride in a sidecar.
Gives me an excuse to buy one.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Orgoth225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have looked into Vostok motors and was wondering if their shipping rate is reasonable?
Orgoth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Depends on your state,
Dneprs shouldn't be a problem as most being brought in are actually vintage rigs, but many states and customs officials have wised up to the fact that most CJ's coming in are new with fraudulent paperwork.

Think long and hard before getting anything that hasn't been titled and registered.
I'll second this and especially as someone who has been researching Urals for a few years now. Every once in a while I've come across some used CJ bikes and most of them are not registered/titled. Is it possible? Yeah, but it's a pain if it's not already done. You also have to then factor in getting parts for them. Parts are still available from China, but it's hit or miss in the U.S. I found one local to me about a month ago that was actually registered/titled/tagged, I was in shock. I started researching them again and most of the 'net links that I used to have bookmarked for parts, info, etc. were dead and didn't work anymore. The few U.S. based guys that I knew who were bringing them in have also disappeared. There are several companies in China who still put them together for export, you may want to look at them if you're serious about it. It's still a pain with the paperwork, but it's doable. There is also a thread on here called something like "follow the import process of my Chang Jiang" of an inmate who did it. Some of the companies will also customize them to your specs if you want custom paint, etc.

As for the Dnepr, it's hit or miss as well. Go to Sovietsteds.com or Russianiron.com and you'll usually find some for sale. But many of them are also overseas and will have to be imported since there are a lot of users in Russia, Ukraine, etc.

Me personally? I've opted for going the Ural route. You get the same looks (for the most part), but gain a tad bit more reliability, parts availability, and at least there is a small dealer network you can reach out to if needed. If the Ural was out, I would definitely go for a Dnepr before I would mess with the CJ's just because of some of the things I mentioned. Again, it's definitely possible either way, just depends on how much headache you want to deal with (my opinion mind you).
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgoth225 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have looked into Vostok motors and was wondering if their shipping rate is reasonable?
Rates aren't up to them it's up to the transport co. Fuel costs on the rise constantly doesn't make running x-country any cheaper. Long run from CA to OH. Since you're in OH you've got two very good reputable Ural dealers within reach. Terry Crawford in S. Lyon, MI and Heindle Engineering in Eaton, OH. If you want an old military type Crawfords has/had(?) an M-72 for sale in the Gray Market section of the Soviet Steeds forum and also listed on his web site.
Depending on your needs/desires/intended use all Ural/Dneprs are slow and the older flatheads even slower by todays zoom zoom standards. I'd call Terry at Crawfords or Jan or Dave at Heindl and explain your needs. They'll give you honest recommendations on what's best for your needs Not discounting Vostok at all cause when my change jar fills up enough for another project/toy I'll be shopping for an old flathead ural/dnepr or even a CJ and Vostok will be my first port of call, but I'm a LOT closer than you are so distance isn't a major issue.
Good luck, have fun.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
There is a Dnepr on the Ann Arbor craigslist. (no connection)
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Wish this was closer.
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/3220723033.html

Trade for Harley

That is so much cooler than most Harleys, at least to me.