ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #31
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Have fun. Broke a bone in my hand playing softball so gotta take it easy on the bike. Might try riding Sunday

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Have fun. Broke a bone in my hand playing softball so gotta take it easy on the bike. Might try riding Sunday
That sucks!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

So I rolled up to Thompson Pass this morning at 5:45 to a cold and very wet trail. Things were going well for the first 2 1/2 miles (cleared 19 blowdowns) until I hit SNOW, and a whole lot of it! Dangit! Last year I predicted that this trail wouldn't be free of snow till July; looks like I was right. Probably mid-July at that! That is some deep snow!

Single track bliss...

Snow behind me...

Snow in front of me...

Then I loaded back up and went down the road a few miles and cleared another trail. This one was Raven Gulch, or Round Top trail (#142), depending who you ask. This trail wastes no time getting nasty, climbing 3000' in about a mile. I lost track of how many trees I cleared after 30 on this one! This is one of my new favorite trails. What a wicked climb.

Just a few downed trees...

A seriously grown-in trail with a ton of soaking wet bear-grass pom-poms...

Ran into a little trouble on the way out. My rear end just disappeared out from under me...

I loaded back up and drove down to Coal Creek and went up and over Graham from there. I had to go up the mountain to pick up my wife's knee pads that she left up there last weekend. Super sweet trail, but man was it slick!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Just researching and was hoping the ole KLR 650 may be plausible but its not looking too friendly for my fully loaded pig.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #35
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the info and your work doing trail maintenance. thumbs up
Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #36
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudshaver View Post
Just researching and was hoping the ole KLR 650 may be plausible but its not looking too friendly for my fully loaded pig.
Anything is possible!

There aren't too many trails I would say this about out loud, but this trail is at risk of being overgrown from underuse and neglect. I'd just hate to see it get closed down for that reason.

It really isn't that difficult (again, I've only made it 5 miles so far...). The first mile or two are fairly level and it slowly gets more difficult as you go. You could try it, and if it gets beyond your comfort level, there are a fair amount of places to turn around. The most difficult spot on a heavy bike would be the rock garden around mile 4. Just don't

Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #37
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Short notice, but if anyone is interested in tackling a few more miles of this in the morning (early Sunday), PM me.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

What an awesome day!!!! I made it 17.6 miles yesterday. My hands have a few new blisters from holding on for dear life over the boulders, but it was worth it. I might have made it further, but I had to stop every 1/8 mile or so to clear trail, I tried cutting through a rock once or twice (so my saw was cutting in circles), I sorta lost the trail where I ended up turning around, and I started getting paranoid about being out that far alone on a trail that maybe one or two guys on horseback travel on per year, not having cell service and my wife had no way of getting her bike out to look for me because I had the truck.

One thing I have learned about this trail: Don't trust the map! There is a 2.6-mile section of trail that does not exist 5 miles in, and at the 17 mile mark I lost the trail again, only to check the satellite image after I got home to see that the next 1.3 miles of trail don't exist either. These sections sorta run parallel to logging/FS roads, and the road has just become "the way". If there ever was a trail, I can't find ANY trace of it.

The trail did get increasingly more difficult, rocky, and harder to follow due to underuse. There was a lot of this:

And this:

And the views were great!

One trail branched off and climbed up the side of Black Peak, a 6300' mountain that has some sort of foundation on top for a lookout(?). It was quite a climb with a spectacular view.

Noxon (MT) Reservoir is the body of water off in the distance:

I stopped for lunch here at mile 17, where the trail intersected (and seemed to end) at a FS road turnaround.

I have been trying to load videos on Youtube all morning, but my internet connection SUCKS. I managed to get one loaded of me biffing it over a snow drift. I was expecting a soft and mushy flop into the side of the drift continued by a struggle to wrestle the bike the rest of the way over. I was NOT expecting the pile to be hard as a rock and slippery as ice! I gave'er hell and flew over the top!

I crossed over this forest service road at around mile 7. Maybe Some of you FS road riders will be inspired to use the clues to go and find its location.....

Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #39
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
I want to do this ride..... Maybe Sunday the... uh.... 28th of July I will have an open weekday.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

This page has had 80+ views since yesterday, so I guess someone is following it besides just Kootenai Rider! I guess I'll keep posting updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
28th of July
I think that might be my next available day also. Consider it penciled in. The problem is, my wife holds the erasure.
Here is the descent from Black Peak:
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,568
I look at it too, just to see what you guys are up to.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #42
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Thanks Ladybug! I often wonder if anyone cares, and if posting RRs is time wasted. Sometimes the views are so sweet I just have to share them somewhere. My wife would rather ride than look at the scenery.
I have to figure out a (safe) way to take my good camera and tripod on one of these rides.
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #43
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 247
I have been following your progress. Too bad there isn't any good scenery. I have hiked in that area (Blossom Lake) and dual sported around there as well. Thanks for the report!
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #44
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
Thanks for the report!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
dylanj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Please keep me or kootenai rider updated on the 28th...I want/need to ride some gnarly rock sections to train for an upcoming race.