ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #46
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Thanks Ladybug! I often wonder if anyone cares, and if posting RRs is time wasted. Sometimes the views are so sweet I just have to share them somewhere. My wife would rather ride than look at the scenery.
I have to figure out a (safe) way to take my good camera and tripod on one of these rides.
Your photos are awesome!
Someday I hope to ride some of those high trails with you guys.
It may be a while though, I'm off to talk to the surgeon about my knee in the morning.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #47
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Your photos are awesome!
Someday I hope to ride some of those high trails with you guys.
It may be a while though, I'm off to talk to the surgeon about my knee in the morning.
Thanks! I'll at least have to take my wife's good point-and-shoot when we head up there again on Sunday. She's been looking for an excuse to buy a new one anyway!

Just let us know when you are ready. Every time I poke around up there, I find a whole other network of branch-off trails that will take weeks to explore by themselves. Like I told Kootenai Rider, I wish I lived closer to Murray!

I hope you heard good news from your surgeon?
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #48
Bungholio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Thanks! I'll at least have to take my wife's good point-and-shoot when we head up there again on Sunday. She's been looking for an excuse to buy a new one anyway!

Just let us know when you are ready. Every time I poke around up there, I find a whole other network of branch-off trails that will take weeks to explore by themselves. Like I told Kootenai Rider, I wish I lived closer to Murray!

I hope you heard good news from your surgeon?
I am on vacation for the next 12 days and have been itching to ride some Idaho trails. Would it be possible for me to join you on Sunday? I'm a decent trail rider and have enjoyed Canfield a few years ago with another ADV member. Since that time I have ridden some hi mountain trails in Gifford Pinchot NF in the Cascades and some in Montana Little Belt Mountains.

A couple places I have ridden.

This is Yozoo Trail

Juniper Ridge

Looking forward to some trail time.

Phil
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #49
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
I'll bring my iPhone too which takes some pretty decent pics.

Looks like there will be at least 3 of us. My buddy Dylan are talking about finding a place to camp close to Murray so we don't have to drive some much early on Sunday... just meet you there at Thompson Pass.

Lamotivita, we'd love to have you join us. Let us know when you're ready.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
dylanj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Pretty stoked to ride some NASTY trails...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #51
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I am on vacation for the next 12 days and have been itching to ride some Idaho trails. Would it be possible for me to join you on Sunday?
Sure, but I don't know how I feel about riding with a guy named "Bungholio"! If we get too many people, we can always split the group in half.

Where are you at? Will you be closer to Post Falls or Murray on Sunday morning? If you are near Post Falls, you can ride out there with me if you want. I'll be leaving here at 4:30, will be unloading at the pass at 6 am.

From the looks of some of the trails at GP, that may be one place that has ID trails beat on difficulty, but there aren't many out there that beat us on solitude. I'd be shocked if I ever saw another rider out on our single track. 10 years out here and haven't yet....
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #52
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
My buddy Dylan are talking about finding a place to camp close to Murray so we don't have to drive some much early on Sunday... just meet you there at Thompson Pass.
If you get there early enough on Saturday (or up early enough on Sunday), drive down and check this out: Exactly 4.5 miles past the top of the pass on the MT side, there should be a single track that follows "Twenty Four Mile Creek" and can eventually meet up with the Cen. Trail where my wife and I took the wrong turn last fall. (It can also go the other direction and appears to go ALL the way down to within a few miles of Thompson Falls on single track, dumping you out on Clear Creek Rd.) IF it is there, it probably hasn't been travelled in years; I'm just curious if it exists. The topo map calls it trail 1707.
There sure are a lot of trails out there.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #53
Bungholio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure, but I don't know how I feel about riding with a guy named "Bungholio"! If we get too many people, we can always split the group in half.

Where are you at? Will you be closer to Post Falls or Murray on Sunday morning? If you are near Post Falls, you can ride out there with me if you want. I'll be leaving here at 4:30, will be unloading at the pass at 6 am.

From the looks of some of the trails at GP, that may be one place that has ID trails beat on difficulty, but there aren't many out there that beat us on solitude. I'd be shocked if I ever saw another rider out on our single track. 10 years out here and haven't yet....
I can stay in Post Falls on Saturday and Sunday. I live about 20 miles from the coast in Washington, 6.5 hour drive to Post Falls. I will book a room and let you know where I'm staying. Stayed at the Red Lion in 2009 so maybe there for familiarity sake.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #54
dylanj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey XR4EVER...do you know if Centennial trail from Glidden lake to Thompson is clear? We are prob gonna camp at Glidden and ride from there. Might have to send some gas with you to top off before leaving Thompson and then on way back.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanj View Post
Hey XR4EVER...do you know if Centennial trail from Glidden lake to Thompson is clear?.
Texting Paul about this right now...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #56
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

This is gonna be epic-dary.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #57
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
............... but there aren't many out there that beat us on solitude. I'd be shocked if I ever saw another rider out on our single track. 10 years out here and haven't yet....
I moved from the Silver Valley, (Pinehurst, ID to be exact) in 1995 and that's what I liked the most about North Idaho. Glad to see it hasn't changed.
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #58
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Quote:
This is gonna be epic-dary.
I just had to say it didn't I.

So....today's crazy half baked story....

The day started at 5:00am, suiting up to Dylanj riding from his encampment at lower Glidden Lake to my truck where I slept last night. (Didn't quite make the lake) From there we rode up whatever trail XR's and I rode last_fall along a ridge past Revett lake and the blossom lakes. This is some gnarly shale and granite slabs you're riding over.

Nice morning...

About 4 miles in, my bike just stutters and dies. Electric start, kick start....nothing. Damn. Musta fouled the plug as the bike was running rich and was just kind of putting. Dylan was ahead, so I started hoofin' it, figuring he'd have stopped or turned back and didn't see me. Sure enough, he noticed I wasn't there.

Now, neither of us were smart enough to have our tools with us other than a few basic things, which did not include a spark plug wrench. So its 5:30 in the morning, in the middle of no where and we've got the tank and seat off trying our darndest to get that plug out to look at it. No bueno.

Well... put her back together and see if she runs... bam...fires up after a little more cranking...cleared her out and she sounds better than she had all morning... screw it, lets ride... So we boogy outta there, hit NF9 out of Murray and bomb up the road. We got to Thompson pass right as XR's, Bungholio and another non-ADVer Dylan and I know known as Eel are about to leave... 6:27. Would have made the 6:00am time had we no delay. Almost 25miles we'd done already.

Head out....some fun flowy trail, then started hitting more of these rock slides.... alot of them. Their rocks aren't as big as what we'd just been on, but some were looong stretches.

Bungholio

We finally got past the 17 mile mark from the Pass, which was XR's previous stopping point... kept going and found these amazing ridges to just ride along...

Dylan

XRs

From where we came...trail or no trail.

At some point we stopped and Dylan, myself and Eel decided to head back, especially since Dylan and I had another hour or so of riding beyond that.

Stop at Thompson pass, leave Eel, top off on gas. Did I mention XR's brought a gas can of mixed gas up so Dylan and I could top off. Nice.

On the way back however, climbing out of the Murray area, Dylan got a rear flat. Great, we've got irons and CO2's...but no patch kit. Well, lets see if athletic tape will work.

Nope, had to ride it out. Thank fully part of the way back across the ridge we found a nice smoothish road that took us down towards the road to Burke. From there it was a short limp back to the truck.

Even with the short cut, Dylan and I still wound up doing 85 miles today.

I'm still waiting for XR's and Bungholio's report...they had to have had some sweet adventures after we left. Great ride guys!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #59
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Now View Post
I moved from the Silver Valley, (Pinehurst, ID to be exact) in 1995 and that's what I liked the most about North Idaho. Glad to see it hasn't changed.
I lived in Pinehurst for about a year and my wife was born and raised there. That is Grand Central Station for riding.

Quote:
We got to Thompson pass right as XR's, Bungholio and another non-ADVer Dylan and I know known as Eel are about to leave... 6:27.
A little closer to 6:40 on our watch.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for XR's and Bungholio's report...they had to have had some sweet adventures after we left. Great ride guys!
It might be a few days before you hear my report... Family is staying with us this week. Have a few tales to tell. I'll get to it ASAP!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #60
Bungholio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I lived in Pinehurst for about a year and my wife was born and raised there. That is Grand Central Station for riding.

A little closer to 6:40 on our watch.

It might be a few days before you hear my report... Family is staying with us this week. Have a few tales to tell. I'll get to it ASAP!
I'll let Xr4ever tell it all. Be gentle please. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2