ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #61
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
I've got a little time now to contribute.

First off, I have to applaud Bungholio for what a trooper he is! A guy who is willing to drive 6 1/2 hours (8 hours total) to go ride an unknown goat trail (even to us) at the drop of a hat with people he'd never met - that deserves commendation!

Next up, enough with the comments about my, um, "aged" bike! She doesn't appreciate being called "old" and a "dinosaur"; it just makes her want to put the spanking on your new KTMs even harder!

Red, in a sea of orange:

I have to set the background for KR's story with this: I told him when he dropped off his gas can at my house that we are meeting at the top of the pass at 6am, and in true ADV form, we are leaving with or without him at 6:30 sharp. I also told him I thought his plan was insane for attempting to ride that trail and expect to make it on time. Luckily for them, we were running a few minutes late ourselves. They just made it. I had my kick starter out, ready to kick and thought I heard a bike in the distance.) Insane, but impressive!

Every time I enter this trailhead, it is my goal and personal vendetta to make it the entire 36 miles from Thomson Pass to where the trail turns into road at a mountain called Idaho Point. My last solo trip I made it 17 miles to the Addleberry Creek trailhead before having to turn back. We stopped there again this time to eat some berries and relieve ourselves before moving on to uncharted territories. The trail turns to road for a few miles, and where I thought the trail should have started again was posted for non-motorized use. Technically the map shows the trail going straight up and over the mountain, so that is what we did. We found the trail again once we got to the top of Bloom Peak.

Here is one for you, Ladybug! Random flowers growing out of a tree stump.

KR and Dylan went ahead while Bungholio and I stayed back and dinked around while "Eel" was having issues with his contacts. You can't see them in the pic, but we could hear them. They are climbing Lost Peak in the distance:

2 miles of alpine singe track later, we came to this monolith. This is where KR, Dylan and Eel turned back and Bungholio and I kept trudging on.

We went another 2 miles to what I thought was Porcupine Pass (it wasn't... we still had 4 miles of mainly FS road to go to get there), and we decided to turn around there. The endless rock crossings were really taking a toll on Bungholio, and his gas tank's petcock had developed a-drip-a-second leak. The return trip was slow and arduous, but beautiful!

About halfway back, Bungolio's petcock's leak had turned into almost a constant stream. It needed attention, or we weren't making it back. He had to pull the tank and flip it over to work on it. It turned out, he was using the O-ring that the petcock came with and the gasket the Clockworks tank came with. The O-ring was forcing the gasket out beyond the edge of the petcock and neither of them were sealing. He pitched the gasket, and the O-ring by itself sealed just fine.

Around 7 miles from the trucks, fatigue and dehydration were REALLY taking a toll on the wetsider, probably not accustomed to our 9% humidity sucking every last bit of moisture from your soul. We stopped for about a half hour to let him rest and to see if his nausea would pass. Well, after suiting back up and ready to head off, I look back to see Bungholio with his helmet back off, He said his nausea was gone, but was still exhausted.

We kept trudging on, rock pile after rock pile, all the while wondering if the rest of the guys found their way back because there were certain clues pointing towards the negative (riding through fully-constructed spider webs, etc,...) We made it back to the truck and were relieved to find that they were there and gone. On the way out of the parking lot, I spoke to an old-timer on a quad. He asked where we had ridden that morning. I told him we had made it to Porcupine Pass (which I thought we had) and he said, "On THAT TRAIL? You're kidding me!"

Only 9 more miles to go, and I'll have conquered this bastard trail!

XR4EVER screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 01:13 PM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #62
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,326
thanks for posting up.. I hope to ride it someday with ya
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #63
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Glad to hear you guys got out safely....and that I wasn't the only one who had to pull their tank off yesterday.

Thanks guys for the great ride it was awesome.

One of these days we'll make it all the way.

For the record, had I not had my bike issue early, I think we would have made it by 6:00am.

Hey Bungholio, thanks for making the drive out. Dylan and I were running short of water and feeling it on the way out too so I feel your pain.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #64
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Hey Bungholio, thanks for making the drive out. Dylan and I were running short of water and feeling it on the way out too so I feel your pain.
Thank you guys for letting me join in the fun.

Quote:
First off, I have to applaud Bungholio for what a trooper he is! A guy who is willing to drive 6 1/2 hours (8 hours total) to go ride an unknown goat trail (even to us) at the drop of a hat with people he'd never met - that deserves commendation!
Thanks XR, I was worried about the last third of the trip out but having you there gave me confidence.

Shortly after XR and I turned around I started getting a headache which I am sure didn't help any with the nausea. It was nice to ride with some better riders since I mostly ride alone.

Dylan says "Are you kidding me?"

Kootenai and Dylan scaling the peak.

Checking for cellular service.

Thanks again to all you guys.

Bungholio screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 07:13 PM
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #65
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 120
Thanks for the ride report everyone. I sure miss North Idaho.

I'll bet that's the most traffic on that trail at one time..................... ever.
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #66
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Next up, enough with the comments about my, um, "aged" bike! She doesn't appreciate being called "old" and a "dinosaur"; it just makes her want to put the spanking on your new KTMs even harder!
How come we didn't hear any stories of stopping to work on the red dinosaur like we did about the orange bikes?

When I come I'll bring my XR250 to even things out a bit.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #67
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
thanks for posting up.. I hope to ride it someday with ya
Hey, sorry I didn't make a ride in the Cascades with you yet, I got side tracked by some knee surgery.
I hope to be trail worthy by Labor day. Maybe that would be a good time for a panhandle ride.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #68
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
[QUOTE=lamotovita;21983052]How come we didn't hear any stories of stopping to work on the red dinosaur like we did about the orange bikes?
QUOTE]

His bike kept wanting to explore "off trail" locations, or "alternative viewing points" if you catch my drift.

All kidding aside, this was a great group. No question about skill or speed. One of the better group rides I've been on.... less stopping and shorter stops.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #69
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
How come we didn't hear any stories of stopping to work on the red dinosaur like we did about the orange bikes?
That is a common theme when I ride around newer bikes...
I'd love to ride with a fellow XR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
His bike kept wanting to explore "off trail" locations, or "alternative viewing points" if you catch my drift.
My bike's thirst for adventure is so strong, I sometimes can't restrain it! Like a wild, unbroken stallion!

Take a bike that is already top heavy and add 15 pounds of chainsaw at chest level, things can get a little hairy on a 6" wide trail.....

KR, those were great pics, BTW!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #70
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,552
I saw this last year but kinda forgot about it.
Nice pics, can't wait till you finish it.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #71
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Great report and pictures from all of you but this one gets most of the Ladybug points. Minus one point for no bike in the picture although it is very cool

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #72
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
KR needs an XR250 - - - Just saying.

This one was begging to be nominated for the front page rotation so I nominated it:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post21990617

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #73
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Great report and pictures from all of you but this one gets most of the Ladybug points. Minus one point for no bike in the picture although it is very cool
I barely even stopped when I took this; you're lucky it wasn't a blur! I saw it and thought, "Gotta get a pic to keep Ladybug interested..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
KR needs an XR250 - - - Just saying.

Maybe he'd have more room on that to carry some tools.
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #74
dylanj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great report...thank you! XR is a MACHINE on that machine. And I do think that trail was approximately 14" wide on my 'tape measure'

At 7 as we were working our way out of Thompson pass I was regretting the last coupel drinks I had the night before...then after leaving Thompson on the way back I was regretting not bringing more water...obviously an epic ride that makes an adventure rider thirsting for more!

Oh yes....my favorite quote from the ride from Bungholio 'holy hell!!' as he was entering a 100 yard shale slide crossing
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #75
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanj View Post

Oh yes....my favorite quote from the ride from Bungholio 'holy hell!!' as he was entering a 100 yard shale slide crossing
And those slides seemed much more difficult on the way out. Same for you guys?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote