gmanski
=)

Oddometer: 112
Nice one gavo
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Great report Gavo, what month did you do the ride in? Just wondering about best time of year to something similar.

Also wondering how much fuel you took - guessing 30L in the safari, how much more did you take and how did you carry it?

farqhuar screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 06:19 PM
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Great report Gavo, what month did you do the ride in? Just wondering about best time of year to something similar.

Also wondering how much fuel you took - guessing 30L in the safari, how much more did you take and how did you carry it?
The middle of August, weather was pretty good.
My bike was by far the thirstiest and for the Simpson crossing, the Safari held about 34lts and 3 five litre jerries. I went through most of it, probably 5 or 6 ltrs left.
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
The middle of August, weather was pretty good.
My bike was by far the thirstiest and for the Simpson crossing, the Safari held about 34lts and 3 five litre jerries. I went through most of it, probably 5 or 6 ltrs left.
Thanks, that means you used around 43-44 litres. I'm planning on doing it on a KLR in July and carrying two 10 litre jerries on top of the 22 litres in the tank - total 42. I reckoned that should be safe but from your usage maybe another 5 litres wouldn't go astray. Did you see many other vehicles in the Simpson - just wondering how much I need to watch for fourbys coming the other way up a dune towards me?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Thanks, that means you used around 43-44 litres. I'm planning on doing it on a KLR in July and carrying two 10 litre jerries on top of the 22 litres in the tank - total 42. I reckoned that should be safe but from your usage maybe another 5 litres wouldn't go astray. Did you see many other vehicles in the Simpson - just wondering how much I need to watch for fourbys coming the other way up a dune towards me?
Didn't see any other bikes out there< a couple at mount Dare but a couple of convoy's of 4wd's most had site flags fitted and also came across the salvage truck from the Birdsville side. no hang on 2 posties on the Birdsville side with 4wd back up. We were going west to east the track was chewed up on the east side of the dunes so they were taking it slowly plus there was the walking group I tried to stand up just before I crested dunes for a better look and tried to watch a dune or 2 in the distance.
My bike was pretty thirsty compared to the others. And at least 4ltrs of water per day. It's all heavy to lift when you start out but gets better
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #21
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Didn't see any other bikes out there< a couple at mount Dare but a couple of convoy's of 4wd's most had site flags fitted and also came across the salvage truck from the Birdsville side. no hang on 2 posties on the Birdsville side with 4wd back up. We were going west to east the track was chewed up on the east side of the dunes so they were taking it slowly plus there was the walking group I tried to stand up just before I crested dunes for a better look and tried to watch a dune or 2 in the distance.
My bike was pretty thirsty compared to the others. And at least 4ltrs of water per day. It's all heavy to lift when you start out but gets better

Thanks again. I'm planning on a solo ride - straight up from Oodnadatta then heading east at Dalhousie (can't see the point of going up to Mt Dare, doesn't seem like the friendliest spot) so that will mean I need an additional 2 litres to cover the extra 20-30kms between fuel stops.

As I'll be on my lonesome I also wouldn't mine knowing there'll be a convoy of fourbys following me at a reasonable distance in case I come unstuck (or more likely get STUCK ), hopefully will meet some camped at Dalhousie ready for a big start the next morning.