Anyone got one yet ??
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,486
shear, I got to see one of these in action during the preparation for our national enduro this year. Three enduro sanction guys and one AMA guy showed up at our camp on Wednesday before the Sunday race. They ride the course and go over the club's procedures very thoroughly before the race. All four of these folks bring bikes to ride the course...sometimes several times. These were all very, very good riders. They enjoyed sampling our hardest section numerous times. They had a hoot.

The Sherco had been supplied free of charge to the sanctioning guys. When they first arrived, we all studied the Sherco quite a bit as we never see them here. All the sanctioning guys were very impressed with the Sherco. As the days went on, the one guy didn't want to give up the Sherco, as he stated it was ideal for our terrain. Ours is generally considered the toughest enduro on the state circuit. Bigger power and more aggressive power aren't really the best there. Tractable power and a compliant, tuneable suspension are paramount...along with lower weight. Their consensus was that Sherco had a smooth, controlled powerband. Our place has a lot of technical features and rocky, loose conditions.

I know this isn't a first hand ride or owner's report by any means, but I took it that if these guys were impressed that it was worth mentioning. It appears that they get to ride lots of good, free stuff.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Anyone got one yet ??
I rode one last weekend. It was awesome, the handling of my old TE310 with a way nicer motor and way better suspension. Same close ratio gear box though. I'm seriously considering cleaning out my current stable to get one.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,299
I have seen nothing but great reports on them but nice to hear from ADVers rather than the glossy mags . Love my Shercos and it seems the 300 maybe about perfect for single track .
Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
I have seen nothing but great reports on them but nice to hear from ADVers rather than the glossy mags . Love my Shercos and it seems the 300 maybe about perfect for single track .
I feel like it is a close to perfect trail bike. Light, smooth motor, beautiful FI, fantastic fit and finish, not a KTM but KTM suspension.

Also, per Clay's website, he will send one to your door in a crate and still give your local(ish) dealer commission. Same with parts, seems like a big win to me.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Old 12-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,372
Slick...but no kickers on any of them.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
C'mon Chris...good, quality, reliable motorcycles don't need kickstart. Just look at my KLX250.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:

You didn't notice the pull-rope under the rear fender did you?

Real motorcycles use pull-ropes.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
But seriously, the option of a kickstarter can be very comforting at times. I just got through riding out in the Big Bend area of west Texas with a guy who has a very nicely prepped WR250R. This time of year out in the Ranch area state park and even the national park, you can go for days without seeing another person out on the trails and 2-track. The guy with the WRR left his key on while we stopped for a long break and lunch stop at an overlook. Even with a small hill...but loose, gravely surface...his would not start until I also helped push forward and then down on the rear of the bike at the right time to get the rear wheel to bite. If I hadn't been there, I'm not sure his rear tire would have gotten enough bite to turn the motor over.

I ride alone a lot in places where there's little hope of running into anyone for help for quite some time. My kickstarterless bike...and 4 KLRs in the past...have never let me down in the battery department over a period from 1985 when I was out in the boondocks. I do keep a good battery in the bike and maintain it over time, so I'm sure that helps. My buddy with the WRR had one of those newer, super light weight units in his bike...don't know if that contributed. We all know the issue is weight for deleting the kickstarter, but it's a valid concern when the bike ain't got one and you ride in the wilderness.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Yep, a big NO for me. I really like the Sherco except for this. I ride alone often and go too far from help.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

with the fuel injection, especially on the coming FI two stroke models, a kicker isn't going to help you much.

KTM LC8's, husaberg FE 570's, DRZs, KTM sx/xc's, and some DR 250/350s don't have kickers and it hasn't been a big deal.

Reality is anyone who says the lack of a kicker on a 300i is a deal breaker wasn't going to buy or even consider one anyway.

If one can't keep track of the battery being in good condition one couldn't keep the bike running anyway.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 08:53 PM
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,372
A Kicker on FI isn't new, many modern race bikes are using them w/o a battery. If it's totally dependent on a working battery to start or run it'd be a deal breaker for me on a dirtbike. Batteries can and do fail from vibration, or just give up the ghost unexpectedly. It's not that common but I've had it happen out of the blue to a name brand battery.

I know that's the way it's going but I still don't like it.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,023
snowmobiles have been using fuel injection and pull starting with out batteries for many years.