ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,674
I'm in too.

I think your plan as outlined is sound and completely workable. I like it.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LoneStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: ATL <--> BWI
Oddometer: 338
Subscribed!

I've been waiting for awhile for someone to do this. Excellent idea, and I'm very much looking forward to your build.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #33
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer
 
Evil Invader's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell-sing-land, Sweden
Oddometer: 647
Thumb

HellYea!!
Im soooo in for this one!!
__________________
690 "DIY" thread (incl. "Rallybike build"): http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708813

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Cool, more people onboard Today was a good day.....



The Microsquirt ECU showed up today

Had a conference call with Matt, my EFI Guru and we have a concrete plan.
We've decided to retain the stock throttle body and injector for simplicity but we've agreed that a few of the key sensors will be changed in favor of a more off the shelf type as discussed before. Intake air temp and coolant temp will be a GM or a Bosch sensor (Depends on the thread pitch of the sensors) and we'll use either a GM or Honda (car) MAP. I'm not a big fan of the integrated MAP/TPS set up on the stock throttle body honestly.

The nice thing about this approach is that if any of you 690 folks want to go this route, you'll be able to use the same harness and ECU settings and the basic map will work. All you would need to do is change our a few sensors and you could be in business.

The 690 heads to Boston on Friday morning, so Matt can start the harness side of the project. I'll be heading down at some point to help as needed.
Our goal is to have it running and ready for some real world trail testing by Nov 16th. Some friends of mine are heading to Hatfield and McCoy that weekend to trail ride and hang out. I think H&M is a great venue for testing with it's altitude ranges and of course all kinds of different trail types. After that, we'll refine and then I'll be prepping for the ice race in WI in January.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,223
Out of curiosity why not convert it to a carb and keep thinks simple and reliable?
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 894
cause thats easy and old skool
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #37
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Out of curiosity why not convert it to a carb and keep thinks simple and reliable?
Why not walk to work and carry your lunch in a fabric sac?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #38
Noyah
poser
 
Noyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Why not walk to work and carry your lunch in a fabric sac?
Rofl :

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
__________________
KTM 690 Enduro R

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
cause thats easy and old skool
It would figure then if it is easy as you say, more bikes other than the handful of Rallye bikes would of converted by now. And with all the problems these FI systems have on these bikes, perhaps Old School Carburators might be a better solution than what they came with. From my investigations into doing a carb conversion, it will take as much work if not more to convert to carb as this threads FI conversion project. Keeping the TB negates many parts. Changing the air box/battery area doesn't really NEED to be done, it looks like the OP wants to do that. So quite a bit of work could be avoided right there. So IMO it would seem to convert to a different FI system would be easier, as less parts are required to be changed and sorted out.
There is always going to be a compromise, whether it is FI or Carb. Does one want the simplicity/reliability of a carb system and the accompanying jetting issues, or go with the FI and risk high pressure pump/injection problems.
Each rider needs to do what they think is right for them, and what might work for somebody might not work for the next person. As far as what is best, thats like asking what oil or tire is best, one will get a myriad of responses.
So in the end, I applaud any effort into making these bikes not necessarily work better, but more reliably, as this is the goal for both types of conversions.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
transplanted
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 40
Good luck! Subscribed.
transplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #41
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...
 
Garthe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 4,345
I thought these bikes came, 'ready to race'...

carbs or EFI, oh my...
__________________
2007 XR650R
2001 Montessa 315R
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Even a carb conversion would require a pump, don't forget that potential issue. The only KTM's with carbs that have proven reliable, have been the gravity fed carby bikes. I had to replace two 950 pumps over the years and know of many more. My 640 carb was a pain in the ass, I probably pulled it out 1000 times People tend to run away from what they don't understand, Fair enough, comfort level is important when you're stranded.


Nothing is 100% reliable, just my feet
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
I thought these bikes came, 'ready to race'...

carbs or EFI, oh my...
Yea, just like a Japanese bike I would rather push a 690 than ride an XR650.
Speaking of an XR650, one blew up on the first day of the Mexican 1000......
Must have been the fuel injection
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
It would figure then if it is easy as you say, more bikes other than the handful of Rallye bikes would of converted by now. And with all the problems these FI systems have on these bikes, perhaps Old School Carburators might be a better solution than what they came with. From my investigations into doing a carb conversion, it will take as much work if not more to convert to carb as this threads FI conversion project. Keeping the TB negates many parts. Changing the air box/battery area doesn't really NEED to be done, it looks like the OP wants to do that. So quite a bit of work could be avoided right there. So IMO it would seem to convert to a different FI system would be easier, as less parts are required to be changed and sorted out.
There is always going to be a compromise, whether it is FI or Carb. Does one want the simplicity/reliability of a carb system and the accompanying jetting issues, or go with the FI and risk high pressure pump/injection problems.
Each rider needs to do what they think is right for them, and what might work for somebody might not work for the next person. As far as what is best, thats like asking what oil or tire is best, one will get a myriad of responses.
So in the end, I applaud any effort into making these bikes not necessarily work better, but more reliably, as this is the goal for both types of conversions.
Cranky has been dealing with these issues since 09 and helped many of us and we have had a 3 year long debate over carb/fi
I did look into carb seriously but the main thing that held me back ws the cdi was from from eastern block area and I had no knoweledge of the people or quality and spare parts availbility. Factory carb stuff is out of my price range.

knock wood i think i have had every problem and know the symptoms...biggest problem is that so many issues mirror each other in symptoms.......bike dont run!
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #45
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...
 
Garthe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I would rather push a 690 than ride an XR650.
Looks like you've had or will very soon have, that opportunity...

Excuse me, while I go spend my extra money/time on rear tires, gas and riding...

While you try and reinvent the wheel...

What a waste of time and money...
__________________
2007 XR650R
2001 Montessa 315R
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014