User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
I'm in too.

I think your plan as outlined is sound and completely workable. I like it.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Subscribed!

I've been waiting for awhile for someone to do this. Excellent idea, and I'm very much looking forward to your build.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #33
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Thumb

HellYea!!
Im soooo in for this one!!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Cool, more people onboard Today was a good day.....

The Microsquirt ECU showed up today

Had a conference call with Matt, my EFI Guru and we have a concrete plan.
We've decided to retain the stock throttle body and injector for simplicity but we've agreed that a few of the key sensors will be changed in favor of a more off the shelf type as discussed before. Intake air temp and coolant temp will be a GM or a Bosch sensor (Depends on the thread pitch of the sensors) and we'll use either a GM or Honda (car) MAP. I'm not a big fan of the integrated MAP/TPS set up on the stock throttle body honestly.

The nice thing about this approach is that if any of you 690 folks want to go this route, you'll be able to use the same harness and ECU settings and the basic map will work. All you would need to do is change our a few sensors and you could be in business.

The 690 heads to Boston on Friday morning, so Matt can start the harness side of the project. I'll be heading down at some point to help as needed.
Our goal is to have it running and ready for some real world trail testing by Nov 16th. Some friends of mine are heading to Hatfield and McCoy that weekend to trail ride and hang out. I think H&M is a great venue for testing with it's altitude ranges and of course all kinds of different trail types. After that, we'll refine and then I'll be prepping for the ice race in WI in January.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Out of curiosity why not convert it to a carb and keep thinks simple and reliable?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
cause thats easy and old skool
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #37
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Out of curiosity why not convert it to a carb and keep thinks simple and reliable?
Why not walk to work and carry your lunch in a fabric sac?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #38
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Why not walk to work and carry your lunch in a fabric sac?
Rofl :

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
cause thats easy and old skool
It would figure then if it is easy as you say, more bikes other than the handful of Rallye bikes would of converted by now. And with all the problems these FI systems have on these bikes, perhaps Old School Carburators might be a better solution than what they came with. From my investigations into doing a carb conversion, it will take as much work if not more to convert to carb as this threads FI conversion project. Keeping the TB negates many parts. Changing the air box/battery area doesn't really NEED to be done, it looks like the OP wants to do that. So quite a bit of work could be avoided right there. So IMO it would seem to convert to a different FI system would be easier, as less parts are required to be changed and sorted out.
There is always going to be a compromise, whether it is FI or Carb. Does one want the simplicity/reliability of a carb system and the accompanying jetting issues, or go with the FI and risk high pressure pump/injection problems.
Each rider needs to do what they think is right for them, and what might work for somebody might not work for the next person. As far as what is best, thats like asking what oil or tire is best, one will get a myriad of responses.
So in the end, I applaud any effort into making these bikes not necessarily work better, but more reliably, as this is the goal for both types of conversions.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
transplanted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Good luck! Subscribed.
transplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #41
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
I thought these bikes came, 'ready to race'...

carbs or EFI, oh my...
Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Even a carb conversion would require a pump, don't forget that potential issue. The only KTM's with carbs that have proven reliable, have been the gravity fed carby bikes. I had to replace two 950 pumps over the years and know of many more. My 640 carb was a pain in the ass, I probably pulled it out 1000 times People tend to run away from what they don't understand, Fair enough, comfort level is important when you're stranded.

Nothing is 100% reliable, just my feet
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
I thought these bikes came, 'ready to race'...

carbs or EFI, oh my...
Yea, just like a Japanese bike I would rather push a 690 than ride an XR650.
Speaking of an XR650, one blew up on the first day of the Mexican 1000......
Must have been the fuel injection
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
It would figure then if it is easy as you say, more bikes other than the handful of Rallye bikes would of converted by now. And with all the problems these FI systems have on these bikes, perhaps Old School Carburators might be a better solution than what they came with. From my investigations into doing a carb conversion, it will take as much work if not more to convert to carb as this threads FI conversion project. Keeping the TB negates many parts. Changing the air box/battery area doesn't really NEED to be done, it looks like the OP wants to do that. So quite a bit of work could be avoided right there. So IMO it would seem to convert to a different FI system would be easier, as less parts are required to be changed and sorted out.
There is always going to be a compromise, whether it is FI or Carb. Does one want the simplicity/reliability of a carb system and the accompanying jetting issues, or go with the FI and risk high pressure pump/injection problems.
Each rider needs to do what they think is right for them, and what might work for somebody might not work for the next person. As far as what is best, thats like asking what oil or tire is best, one will get a myriad of responses.
So in the end, I applaud any effort into making these bikes not necessarily work better, but more reliably, as this is the goal for both types of conversions.
Cranky has been dealing with these issues since 09 and helped many of us and we have had a 3 year long debate over carb/fi
I did look into carb seriously but the main thing that held me back ws the cdi was from from eastern block area and I had no knoweledge of the people or quality and spare parts availbility. Factory carb stuff is out of my price range.

knock wood i think i have had every problem and know the symptoms...biggest problem is that so many issues mirror each other in symptoms.......bike dont run!
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #45
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I would rather push a 690 than ride an XR650.
Looks like you've had or will very soon have, that opportunity...

Excuse me, while I go spend my extra money/time on rear tires, gas and riding...

While you try and reinvent the wheel...

What a waste of time and money...