User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
hammerhoot OP
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
P.E.I. or New Foundland?

Ok, did the Gaspe', did Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail, did New Brunswick, now, next summer, we're gonna take 2 weeks, so, should we do Prince Edward Island or New Foundland? Pros and Cons for both would be appreciated! We would be leaving from Pennsylvania. Thanks!!

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
PEI will take all of about two days, unless you have some unusual potato fetish, or really really like Anne of Green Gables. Plus it's very touristy, fine if you like that, but if you've seen one overpriced seafood restaurant on a worn out boardwalk then you've seen 'em all. If you want to lay on a beach and see a few sights it's worth it. Newfoundland on the other hand has thousands of years of history. The first European landing, the Avalon Penninsula, Grosse Morne National Park, Saint Johns. You could spend months over there and not see it all. Plus it's huge, you could drive all the way around PEI in a day iof you pushed it, it takes eight hours to drive from Porte Aux Basque to Saint Johns, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. You'll also get to tell your friends you stayed in Dildo, Come by Chance, Conception Bay, Joe Batts Arm, Blow Me Down, Cupids, Hearts Content, Pothead, Goobies or my favorite Leading Tickles. Plus you might get a chance to eat moose steak, fired cod cheeks etc. and ask about the Mummers.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
PEI will take all of about two days, unless you have some unusual potato fetish, or really really like Anne of Green Gables. Plus it's very touristy, fine if you like that, but if you've seen one overpriced seafood restaurant on a worn out boardwalk then you've seen 'em all. If you want to lay on a beach and see a few sights it's worth it. Newfoundland on the other hand has thousands of years of history. The first European landing, the Avalon Penninsula, Grosse Morne National Park, Saint Johns. You could spend months over there and not see it all. Plus it's huge, you could drive all the way around PEI in a day iof you pushed it, it takes eight hours to drive from Porte Aux Basque to Saint Johns, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. You'll also get to tell your friends you stayed in Dildo, Come by Chance, Conception Bay, Joe Batts Arm, Blow Me Down, Cupids, Hearts Content, Pothead, Goobies or my favorite Leading Tickles. Plus you might get a chance to eat moose steak, fired cod cheeks etc. and ask about the Mummers.
This.

With the size of PEI - do them both.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,956
I personally like PEI. But its small and can easily be ridden across in a day. Cross over on the bridge and take the ferry off the island at the other end and continue on to Newfoundland.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
hammerhoot OP
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
I think I like that idea, go to P.E.I. and then a ferry to New Foundland

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhoot View Post
I think I like that idea, go to P.E.I. and then a ferry to New Foundland
Now you've got it!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 309
Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post

Just returned from visiting all of these wonderfull places and many more and the only regret was not being able to stay for much, much longer!!
Ixnay PEI, done that too and every moment you can get on the Rock is 10 fold better spent than on the potatoe patch!!
Quit your job if you must but allow at least 2 weeks on NFLD! that will just wet your appetite for the next visit!!
PD
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
PEI by bicycle, Newfoundland by motorcycle.

BTW it is Newfoundland, pronounced New-Fun-Land

Have a time!
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Newfoundland. Without a doubt. Just came back from two weeks there, and loved it.

PEI was a rampant, commercialized clusterfuck.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
marcoue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
PEI is great smooth riding. Newfoundland is adventure, outdoors and remote!

I did them both on my GSA. Very different indeed.

One option is to add Magdelen islands in Quebec to a PEI trip. Really outstanding place!

I did a small clip a couple of years ago... Thought this could help you choose!

http://youtu.be/C6_dFTk_p1M?hd=1

Canadian Adventure: Montreal to Inuvik solo (2008)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466421

marcoue screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 08:28 PM
marcoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
eviee1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Newfoundland is rugged beauty. Ferry transportation on and off the island can be problematic even in the summer, spent an extra 18 hours waiting for the ferry to dock in Port-aux-basques in the summer. Marine Atlantic service is poor, and reservations do not mean a thing to them. Lots of less travelled side roads, best people in the country. Be very vigilant for moose. No disrepect to PEI, grew up in NS, would choose Nfld in a heartbeat over PEI.
eviee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
OK, lemme try this in a more disciplined fashion.

On PEI, apart from running into the clusterfuck of black-light minigolf outfits and various malls pushing Shirley Ann dolls, there's farmland and some ocean landscapes. Problem is, if you have been anywhere near farmland (Saskatchewan, Fraser Valley, central New Brunswick, wherever) it won't be that new.

And the over-commercialized bullcrap really does rule almost a half-hour's ride anywhere from Cavendish.

Or, alternately, here's the one image I have of PEI:

And then there was Newfoundland.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 957
Newfoundland! Spectacular!
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Just got back from my third trip to Newfoundland and I have to go back again. There's just so much to see and do. Incredible place it is.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Max384 did a R/R this year from Pennsylvania to NFLD. It should give you some idea of timelines.