Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #46
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
That penninsula is beautiful.

Don't try to ride a bike out to that long skinny tip of land on the north though. Emmbeedee thought we'd do it and found that the large round beach rock is like riding on ball bearings. We were 2-up on his mighty 1150GS that day. Then someone told us about silly mainlanders getting stuck out on these points when the tide comes in.
LOL, You just need a "real" bike

JTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 197
Aerostich Transit? I did NFLD in that same suit last sept! Worked great, except for a leaky neck seal on the St Johns-Cornerbrook return leg, in all day rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
LOL, You just need a "real" bike

Kawazacky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #48
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

The straight dope on PEI/NFLD

OP, I'm from PEI and my mom is from NFLD. I've ridden PEI all over in search of good roads. IMHO, you need a couple days to really enjoy the island. That's because riding from the bridge to the ferry (or in reverse) misses the leg on the south west side of the island (Rt 14,Rt 11), which is PEI's best road, outside of Rt. 13. I did a bunch of mapping on PEI last year planning for a rally. If you want, I can email the maps to you.

The Rt. 14/Rt 11 trip takes you up one of PEI's more curvy roads (although I wouldn't call it twisty) with the ocean on one side, windmills on the other. Follow it to the top of the island, avoiding Rt 2 like the plague. Take 12 back east, or 2 if you are in a hurry.

Remember - speed limits are low on the Island. So is speed limit enforcement. Cops are few and far between outside the Summerside-Charlottetown and in between regions. Make your decisions accordingly. Ride at night, and you won't have to worry about hitting a deer or moose, as there are none on the Island. Best time to ride on the Island is early morning, when police scrutiny and rubbernecking tourists are at an all time low. Visit the Island out of tourist season, and the tasty tourist roads (esp. Rt 6) see a hike in speed limits, and a drop in enforcement. Be careful in the National Parks, as they also have rangers enforcing speed limits, and the limits are artificially low there.

Speaking of Natnl Parks - Don't ride through Cavendish, it's a waste of time. It can be fun to run through Brackley, but the speed limit is slow in that park and the views of the water are being lost to spruce trees. If you want to visit a beach on the Island, Greenwich Natnl park is nice. The Lakeside Beach Road also leads to a similar beach, and you don't have to pay to visit it (Natnl Parks are free after 6 pm I think).

Other stops I would recommend to tourists are: Frosty Treat dairy bar in Kensington, Raceway Park in Oyster Bed Bridge (only if there are drags on), and Province House in Charlottetown if you are into history. Panmure Island is also a scenic stop for a break, and close to Rt. 17, the best road in eastern PEI by far. The best campground I know of in PEI is Twin Shores. If you want to stay in a cool B&B, look up Woodleigh Replicas B&B. Basically, you get to stay in a scaled-down medieval castle. It's one of the most incongruous things you'll ever see on PEI. The site is worth a visit, even if you can't get a booking.

If I was going to PEI, I'd plan on a day ripping around the western end, stay overnight in the middle of the island, then pack up, ride the eastern end the next day, and leave. If you aren't into taking a break to sit on the beach, and you just want to ride, then take the bridge to PEI, go west, then take the 225 or the 6 between summerside and Ch'town, then boogie straight for the ferry and get outta there.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #49
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

AS FOR NFLD

Did it last september. Or at least, as much of it as I can fit into a week.

Don't ride after night if you can help it.

Do take a couple days to go down the Worst Highway In Canada according to the CAA, the 360. Don't rush this - you will either end up hitting a moose or busting your bike on a pothole. Plus, there's lots to see. Camp in Harbour Breton - there's a lovely $10-a-night campground there. Explore the other towns in the region if you have time.

Don't ride the Trans Can for any longer than you can help, although it's scenic in Wreckhouse. Not scenic enough to make me want to stay on it for any longer than I have to, though.

Do run the Irish Loop. For much of it, well, you can see a long way, and judge your speed accordingly. The trouble with the Loop is that all the twisty fun bits are in the middle of the few towns en route, which can be big trouble if you hit a kid playing road hockey.

Don't expect Rogers cell phone coverage until you get to the Avalon Peninsula.

I also did 330-320, which was ok, and 210 down the Burin Peninsula, which was more enjoyable, in my opinion. YMMV. I really liked the sailing museum in Grand Bank. You might not.

St Johns is a cool town. Spend at least a day exploring it. Don't miss Quidi Vidi and Signal Hill. Don't go on the lame guided tours, just do the hiking trails yourself. Really neat.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #50
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
Aerostich Transit?
No, just a black Darien. We rode our KLRs out as far as the land lasted and walked the rocks.

I agree with your comments too. If doing PEI, my suggestions is as above, ride out to the far west tip (cool experimental wind farm out there, and sand dunes), and the far eastern tip. All the tourist crap is in the middle.

NL, well, I can't say much more than whats been said already. I agree with staying off the main hwy as much as possible, and DO NOT ignore the advice to get off the road after dusk.
JTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #51
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I'm thinking of hitting up the east coast this summer for a few weeks. Is it worth it taking the r1 around nfld/pei or will I be forced to miss too much, and i should just wait until I buy a dual sport and take that?

I'm in the planning parts for this summer and not sure where ill end up.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.148086,-96.222617
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeitz View Post
I'm thinking of hitting up the east coast this summer for a few weeks. Is it worth it taking the r1 around nfld/pei or will I be forced to miss too much, and i should just wait until I buy a dual sport and take that?

I'm in the planning parts for this summer and not sure where ill end up.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.148086,-96.222617
You won't have enough time to see all of NL that you can see from the seat of an R1. The province is huge - lots of road to cover, without even starting to think about off road. Just do it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #53
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
A great thing about riding the Rock is that the Island has many loops (and are for the most part, day trips). And by Loops I mean The Trans Canada runs through the province but on either side of that you have great roads taking you to thru coastal towns. Nearly all of these routes are loops so no backtracking.

You have the Stephenville area, Gross Morne and the Northern peninsula, Baie Verte, Lewisporte to Gander Bay to Freshwater Bay, Bonavista, Trinity Loop around Conception Bay, The Burin Peninsula, Placentia to Trepassy and North to St John's.

Routes and distances here...

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...cTouringRoutes

If you want to trail it you can take the rail bed across the Island as well. Only seeing pavement to get gas.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #54
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
You won't have enough time to see all of NL that you can see from the seat of an R1. The province is huge - lots of road to cover, without even starting to think about off road. Just do it.
Thanks, ill start looking. I know even if I decide to do the east coast it is still going to end up being a coin toss on the day I leave between that and heading towards Utah, but we shall see...stupid gorgeous Utah.

Edit..Damn it is farther than I thought at first, its actually farther than Alaska so far at 5300+km for one way (leaving from Winnipeg). Thanks for the suggestion, now I have to figure out what all to see on the way.(google map so far) Although Id rather not Hi-Jack this thread esp since it has a ton of information already. Just wanted to say thanks for "just do it", although Id still accept any suggestions.

ddeitz screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 11:54 PM Reason: NFLD is far.
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #55
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Getting to the Rock eats up a lot of kms, and money... Higher costs of everything in Canada and NF often has higher costs again. The ferry eats a day either way (depending on the route) and is expensive as well.

I was in Idaho, Utah and Colorado last summer as well. Different animal from NF and no coastal beauty like in NB, NS, CB and NF, but still beautiful especially if you cut into CO.

Good luck, either way you got a nice trip.....

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #56
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Getting to the Rock eats up a lot of kms, and money... Higher costs of everything in Canada and NF often has higher costs again. The ferry eats a day either way (depending on the route) and is expensive as well.
Very true. This is why I camped (PM me for three awesome campsites) and ate Dollarama canned food and McDonalds.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #57
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,052
PEI...

...or NFL...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #58
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post

Also TAKE A FOLDING UMBRELLA so when you spend two hours waiting in the rain to board the ferry you can stay a bit drier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
That right there is wisdom.
Ha! good luck with an umbrella. When it rains it rains sideways with 100Km/hr gusts. All you will get with an umbrella is a broken umbrella and water up your skirt! Beast bet is a good rain suit.

Having said that here is my recommendation. I am a mainlander who transplanted here 3 years ago (Living near St. John's). This place is riding heaven.

If you want mostly paved, use the TransCanada as your back bone and take the smaller highway loops off to visit the bays, peninsulas and out ports. Many areas to choose, so depending on time, I would say these would be my priorities:
- Northern Peninsula and Gros Morne (Park is great. Viking History is great, Scenery is great)
- Twillingate Area (Fogo Island if you have time) (Icebergs, whales, fishing villages, art, local people)
- Avalon Peninsula (St. John's and Irish loop have awesome views, roads and history)

These would be the first on the list. There are many other great areas too, but it is all time dependant.

If you want on offroad adventure use the T'railway system. Over 900km of old railway bed converted to an offroad trails system across the province, with 100's of km more branches off this sytem. Generally follows the TransCanada route, with access to areas where the highway can't go and easy access to towns for gas, food and accommodation as required. Check out the systems here http://www.trailway.ca.

Other stuff that is just a must see (area and time dependent).

St. John's Area - Old downtown, Signal Hill, Cape Spear (Most easterly point in NA), Irish loop (make a reservation at the Ferryland Lighthouse for a short hike in with a catered picnic lunch and georgous scenary). Lots of whale, bird and iceberg tours if that is your thing.

Gros Morne - Mount Gros Morne Hike, Western Brook Pond Fjords boat ride, Viking History in St. Anthony,

Twillingate or Fogo Island - excellent riding; interesting art; interesting people; icebergs, whales and ocean oh my!

AND if you are here in September, you can witness one of the coolest motorsports event know to man, TARGA Newfoundland!. This is a rally race around the island. The course takes many of the best riding roads around and attracts some big name car racing people. I like to ride ahead on some of these roads and stick around to watch the special section races. Check the info here http://www.targanewfoundland.com

Just my take as a guy who moved here 3 years ago and still hasn't seen all of this island. Way too many things to see.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #59
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 947
It came straight down while I waited to board the ferry in North Sydney. Full rain suit and helmet on and I got wet. Would have been great to have a brolly. They are also handy when standing in the sun or wandering around sodden campsites.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #60
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
PEI's nice but the riding isn't overly exciting. Never ridden in NL,but would love to.

Also, you can't go wrong with the people of NL. Story from todays CBC site: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...oject-223.html

In September they run the Targa Newfouldland rally (even though it involves cars....) which would be cool to attend. http://www.targanewfoundland.com/