Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Oddometer: 294
Didn't want to get chased by Although we could have sacrificed the KLR and made a run for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
Hmmm. Never stopped you before.........
KTMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Early the following morning Scott arrived and set up camp.

Walking around was still an issue for me and I needed a down day to rest my back, Sean wanted to do a bit of maintenance on his bike, so the rest of the group went out to ride this route.

Early morning planning

So Sean and I picked up supplies and did this

The pavillion even had running water which helped keep the beer cool

We prepared dinner

Later in the day

While the guys did stuff like this

The other guys can fill in what happened during the day, looked like a nice route to me when I planned it
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 594
Day 4

While Eric and Sean were looking after the home base, Paul, Collin, Scott and I headed out on an "easy" loop into the Swisha forest.

We stripped the bikes down of all unnecessary baggage to lighten the load to make it a fun, fast loop.
The plan was to head into the forest and take the high road to lunch in Fort William and then head back into the forest for a ride back to the starting point of the Zec.

The signage was easy to follow............................

The roads started out with the usual 10k of fresh graded sand and then turned into some nice hard packed twisty stuff.
It was getting hot so we stopped to strip off some clothing so we could fly down the roads.

Then we came to to this

I was having a tough time keeping up to Paul and Collin on their lighter faster bikes.
When I came to the breast of this hill I saw Paul down in the distance near the top of the hill on the other side of this huge valley. I thought, oh oh

I left my Tiger behind.

I passed Collin's bike cautiously parked at the bottom.

I still could not see Scott's V-Strom but I saw him with Paul and Collin.
Paul got into some knarley stuff near the top and when he stopped to put his foot down there was nothing there and he went over. He was ok but I know he was motoring up that hill, ( Paul let me drive that beast for a while, what a machine

We helped him to get it up right, I wanted to help but they all insisted I take the photo

I finally found Scott's V-Strom, he was following Paul and when he saw him in trouble on the hill he found a bail out route to the left

Collin and Scott walked up the trail further to see what we had waiting for us.

Paul and Collin went on ahead, you saw Collin's technique on hill climbing earlier.
Scott stuck around to help me up, didn't go as planned.

After that the roads got real nice and fast. Beautiful scenery and lots of elevation changes. Some of the hills were paved over to stop washouts.

We ran into another Zec and stopped to ask for a restaurant as it was around 3 pm on our first stage of the loop.
Turns out it was another Zec we had stumbled on and we all had to pay another $7.00 for the roads we just drove on.

After the check point we went down some steep mountain roads into a lush farming valley. The rocky cliffs were amazing.

We finally got to our scheduled lunch stop in Fort Williams but it was closed.
Real nice spot though.

We saw some really mean looking rain clouds over the horizon towards the direction of our camp which was about an hour away. We thought, holy crap, those guys must be getting dumped on.

We high tailed it to a little restaurant on and island on the Ottawa river called Ile Morrison.
Found a nice little spot to eat lunch around 4 pm

We let Eric and Sean know we had stopped and would be along soon.
They had a great meal prepared for us along with some cool ones.
Great day of riding
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

The guys returning at the end of the day

Discussing the route for the following day

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Day 5 was a 350km loop through Quebec heading north east, then south again (part of the 'Swisha Loop' from the Gravel Travel site). I arranged fuel approx one third into the route from a wilderness lodge, otherwise we were on our own, we planned to wilderness camp so packed extra food etc. From my research it sounded like it could be ridden in a day but on our loaded bikes was another story.

We packed all our gear and went up the highway for breakfast and fuel then over the ZEC in Rapides-des-Joachims again for our day pass.

With the language barrier we were having some trouble getting the facts straight on whether or not the roads where we planned to go were in fact open, as some roads were closed due to many trees down etc. Sean overhead her other half mumble something about needing a helicopter to go where we wanted...sounded like an adventure to us

So off we went
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #21
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

After passing the same grader again from the day before, the roads turned into nice high speed sand. It started to warm up and was another great day of weather.

Scott loaded up

Collin

Shortly after, a sharp 90 degree turn of loose sand ended up causing this. This bend caught us all by surprise, so we were going a little fast. A broken mount on the hardbag was fixed with a nylon strap. It held the rest of the way home.

Never leave a man- I mean beer- behind

This was a landing area for aircraft, Sean tried but never did leave the ground

Meanwhile Scott's DL needed some plastic removed, the chain guard broke and was rubbing

Another of the numerous rivers we crossed

The usual bridge crossing

This was typical of much of the day but lots and lots of big rocks to watch for, they would always blend in till you were right on top of them. I think we spent over 6 hours getting to our gas stop at the north east tip of the route

Break time

The largest of the water crossings, Gary made it through

This road, although great riding seemed to go on forever and we were all slowly get tired, we knew there was no way we could do the whole route in one day, on lighter not as loaded bikes could have been done. We would split this day in two, our goal now was to get to the lodge to refuel then look for a spot to camp.

The great but never ending road...
Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

A short while later we came to an area where they were 'improving' the road as one of the crew told us

This is all we needed at the end of a long day, but were told it will get better not too far ahead

Few bugs and the city folks panic

We all made it through

On the other side it did improve and we blasted down the road, another of Sean's vids

KTMER screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 06:39 AM
Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #23
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Finally arriving at Club Lac Brule,

Cost of gas was like gold up here but we needed it, hydro was generated, would be a nice quiet place to vacation. Road access to the camp came from the east, approx 60km of gravel road

We considered staying at the lodge, but although nice was more than we wanted to spend, so we went to a spot to camp about 10 minutes up the road

Water was across the road

along with Andre, a local who had his camper set up, very friendly and was offering us all sorts of things, but he would come and talk our ear off constantly, he just liked talking even if nobody was listening. Scott gave him a bunch of his extra supplies and he appreciated it.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #25
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

The morning of day 6 we we and the bikes were still in one piece and we set out to finish the loop from the previous day. It started with some well maintained gravel road but soon after turned into more riding like the previous day

Due to the lower octane fuel from the lodge Paul's SuperEnduro was running hot, luckily KTM designs their bikes to be run on high or low but involved finding the wire to disconnect to make the adjustment

A bit of surgery and we were on our way, Paul will be installing a switch for future episodes

Great scenery at our rest stop

The road did get rougher at times

The V-Strom took a beating but kept on going

Sean must have been daydreaming when he came into this corner a little too hot. He tried to escape before my camera took the shot

The road to no-where. Wrong turn

This was a beautiful spot

All smiles as we knew we were getting close to civilization again
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Great ride and report! What I want to know is who was doing the burn-outs on the wooden bridge in one of your earlier photos?? Was it the kid or was it one of the old farts? WOOOOT!

You know you can buy little bottles of octane booster for those times when you can't get the gas you need; that might be something to think about if you hit the boonies again.

Man, I hear you about kids and eating... My son and I took a three week ride up through the Canadian Rockies a few years ago (he was 23 then) and he blew through my food and beer budget about 4X what I'd planned . We also choked on the gas prices in some places, but what are you gonna do? We had a blast, a lifetime experience. Good on you guys!

Doug
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

On the edge of civilization Paul ran out of fuel, he had the smallest tank but was packing a couple extra litres

Shortly after we reached the town of Otter Lake and were looking forward to filling our bellies. After fueling up we stopped in at Bushwackers Bistro

Although way past noon by now the owner was kind enough to let us order from the breakfast menu, even had to leave briefly to go get his wife to help, we all had the Bushwackers Breakfast which had alot of everything. Great place to eat

After filling up it was time to hit the pavement and take the shortest route to the Renfrew KOA to camp

Dam across the Ottawa River

A quick stop at the beer store then off to the KOA to make camp, after our late breakfast we didn't need to make dinner tonight
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Not us doing the burnouts but someone was having fun, probably on this forum too

Will keep the octane booster in mind, I relocated my wiring to my dash area so a simple flick of a switch and good to go, don't notice a performance difference on mine, but Paul even with the wire disconnected was not running quite right.

Yup, kids and food costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Great ride and report! What I want to know is who was doing the burn-outs on the wooden bridge in one of your earlier photos?? Was it the kid or was it one of the old farts? WOOOOT!

You know you can buy little bottles of octane booster for those times when you can't get the gas you need; that might be something to think about if you hit the boonies again.

Man, I hear you about kids and eating... My son and I took a three week ride up through the Canadian Rockies a few years ago (he was 23 then) and he blew through my food and beer budget about 4X what I'd planned . We also choked on the gas prices in some places, but what are you gonna do? We had a blast, a lifetime experience. Good on you guys!

Doug
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

The remote parts of our trip were now over and from this point on were never too far from modern conveniences
Our route for the day

Early in the day we were already off pavement on some of the local trails

Harvesting going on

Another dam, never knew the number of dams that are around. This is the Mountain Chute Generating Station on the Madawaska River

Great roads

And trail

Well deserved rest

Eventually made it to Sharbot Lake area for lunch

The rest of the day was a mix of twisty paved roads and gravel on the way to our next KOA in Marmora. Sean left the group late in the day to see his family in the Rice Lake area, leaving five of us for the final day of riding.

The usual stop before setting up camp

Set up at the KOA, which is another great place for our kind of travelling, showers, convenience store, laundry etc. And all for cheap.

Paul looks sleepy, think we all were by this point of the trip

Had a great last dinner of corn, chicken, and noodles

KTMER screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 10:39 AM
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #30
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
these men looks like witches
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote