Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 206
North from Nebraska. 2 KTM 990's, 2 dogs, 2 wives and a pickup.

Plan. Head north west and then see if we will end up going to Alaska. Answer 3 days in. NO Time limits for the Aussies main one and we attend a family reunion at Flathead lake, Montana 3rd and 4th August really slows a potential dash north.

A few days into the trip now. Has the usual Internet woes I see others wrote about. AT&T chip in ipad says 4G but its really no G.

Lots of trip prep with the two 990's and importing the Australians.

Almost set off early Sunday morning and previous owners wiring set us back. First breakdown without leaving the driveway. Greg's been in motorcycle shops from 4 years old until his recent sale of last shop and retirement. Good guy to have along! Found and fixed and we finally set off.

Greg's the one doing the work.

Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Fort Robinson to Crazy Horse to Sturgis.

This guy arrived late at Fort Robinson. Met him next morning. Story is in second pic. His cousin burned shed and bike down and unfortunately died (unrelated incident a year later)

He's fulfilling his cousins dream to ride Beartooth Pass, Montana. We will too!

Fort Robinson was where Crazy Horse was stabbed in the back during a treaty visit. Interesting to visit there and then the Crazy Horse carving. If you go then see the video. Inspiring how the sculpture struggled on his own for many years.

Then on to the pre Sturgis rally madness. Old bloke week we were told and suits me fine. Pic with the wonderful steel sculpture. We parked well away from the Harley's and couldn't find the Adventure Bike section. A beer and met some cool people and saw fajita or Tequila Mike (can't remember) from the tv show. He looked sort of drunk at 5 I. The afternoon so is probably just as out of control as you see him in the tv series Full Throttle Saloon. It's so small in real life. A surprise.

I did a mono throughout the car park just to sort of say "hey Harley guys, try doing this" Learned a lesson I should have known already, 55 years old and even a single beer and you shouldn't be doing a wheelie between parked Harley's and riders. Any other time it would be okay. Hope they didn't have a video trained on car park for the series. I'd definitely make the show as its a seriously stupid moment. Probably a curious mix of hi viz safety jacket, hi Viz safety helmet and total lack of safe riding.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Searching Wyoming and Montana for a rear dual purpose tire.

Devils Tower is a great site. Greg and Rosie have been to the Australian version Ayres rock or Uluru as its now know and said ours is bigger and better. Must be on the of the few things Aussies are doing bigger and better than Americans.

Greg carved the rubber off tyres. I just say into the Bluetooth "see you at the other end of the twisties" He was a top motocross and Enduro rider and likes to push the limits. Pushed all the rubber off the tyres as well! I'm trying to get him to sort of mellow out. Not going well so far.

Searching for dual purpose tyres has ended in Cody Wyoming after Billings Montana was a no go for 180, 70, 18" dual purpose tyres.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

No tires available.

Don't expect to get rear 18" adventure bike tires in Wyoming or Montana. Guess you guys knew that! We have to put road tires on.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
merczephyr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Subbed.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
merczephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Subscribed

Subscribed to a guy that wheelies his KTM through a parking lot full of Harleys
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
MakingMusic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Back in Lincoln

It sounds like you six are doing well (9 with the the bikes and truck). All is well back in Lincoln ----- following you.

Tom
MakingMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Yellowstone.

Gopro wasn't charged. Missed huge pic opportunities.

Buffalo incident on another camera will put up tonight. Very funny because I kept bike between me and Bufallo and said to Greg over intercom "why are you just standing there putting your gloves on" He said " they are just like cattle aren't they"

Haven't laughed so much in ages.

Greg and Rosie. Rosie's had beer o'clock as you can see. Old faithful had just finished its eruption.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
slaterock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Can't wait for the Buffalo pics... This is getting interesting already!

slaterock
slaterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Jimbo57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
This is going to be an interesting report.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
subscribed

I am in for this one
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #12
MakingMusic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Panera

The Panera crowd is rooting for you --- well mostly for the buffalo.
MakingMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Buffalo pics are just pics of back of Greg's camera so apologize about quality. Also, not the really close and personal interaction between bike riders and buffalo This guy would have been no more than a bike length from us when we were stopped to take wet weather gear off and he appeared out of the woods.

Yeah Tom. Read up on buffalo since and I was cautious but not scared. Should have been scared.

This explained it better after the incident.

Trail bandit screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 09:18 AM
Old 08-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Flathead lake Montana

Staying at the Lutheran Bible Camp for family reunion. Beautiful place. Could move here from Flatistan at a future time.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Different directions

Sometimes the best part can be the prep. Enjoyed setting up two bikes pretty much the same.

We've had a great 2 1/2 weeks together and now in Spokane and gone separate ways. Had the best time with great riding but sometimes things just don't work out.

Bikes in storage at Westside Motorsports in Spokane.

Really disappointed couldn't stick 990 on pickup with dog kennel. Dogs better do some pretty spectacular interesting stuff to make up for this. Could have put them in pickup cabin but not keen.

Riding definitely gets you just wanting more. Very disappointed but will just have to plan ahead. Wife can't understand it. She says I've seen you moving all over the seat and stretching your back and neck and shaking your hands out. What's the good part?

The good parts getting on and moving. All good

Funny thing is you get back in the car and that feels dangerous. Bike only has part of a lane you pick and at 80 MPH you can accelerate hard. F150 isn't very keen on being fast and maneuverable.