Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #31
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Oh, my bad backdrifter, I misinterpreted the tone of your last comment. Excuse my harsh response.

You can edit your original post anytime you want, just login and you will see an edit button in the bottom right corner of your posts. No need to delete it, obviously it works for you.

One thing to ask a shop like Woody's Wheel Works (linked above) is what they do to change spoke wheels to tubeless (with the correct rim). The spoke adjustment problem sounds like a hastle.
Yes, there will be some drawbacks, and like I said, I may even switch back. I'll try this for a while. I did put up some links to this thread from other websites, so everyone can read the downfalls and dangers of this. Like I said, I honestly don't want anyone getting hurt.

I still say if the moderators think it is best to delete this post, please do. I will edit the original post to include a "bead" comment.
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #32
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter
Yes, there will be some drawbacks, and like I said, I may even switch back. I'll try this for a while. I did put up some links to this thread from other websites, so everyone can read the downfalls and dangers of this. Like I said, I honestly don't want anyone getting hurt.

I still say if the moderators think it is best to delete this post, please do. I will edit the original post to include a "bead" comment.
I think that works.

Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morn'.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #33
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

It's happened to all of us. And maybe (obviously) I didn't think of all of the repercussions before posting. Live and learn....

Quote:
I think that works.

Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morn'.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #34
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Backdrifter, lotsa Supermoto folks have gone tubeless. Places like Wheel-Works offer to do the conversion for customers for about 60 bucks. I've also seen diy kits posted and talked about in the past. Sign up over at KTMtalk and search their motard forum for "tubeless". Or try searching the Orange Crush forum here at ADVrider. Plenty of related gab and positive feedback.

Oh, and you might wish to fill out your profile before the locals start hammering you about that, too.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #35
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Backdrifter, lotsa Supermoto folks have gone tubeless. Places like Wheel-Works offer to do the conversion for customers for about 60 bucks. I've also seen diy kits posted and talked about in the past. Sign up over at KTMtalk and search their motard forum for "tubeless". Or try searching the Orange Crush forum here at ADVrider. Plenty of related gab and positive feedback.

Oh, and you might wish to fill out your profile before the locals start hammering you about that, too.
Yeah, I'm a member at ktmtalk, supermotojunkie, and a few others. I'll go and fill in the personal info, if it helps. I had not seen the wheel works site before this post though, it looks nice. I had seen the DIY kits, which cost $120 per rim! That's a lot of dough, hence my ghetto method....
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #36
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
yeah i know... topes made a funny. made me laugh too, but i aint gonna tell him directly.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #37
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
I (almost) never look at those. Maybe if someone forgets to say which bike. Not sure what the hubub's aboot.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #38
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
I (almost) never look at those. Maybe if someone forgets to say which bike. Not sure what the hubub's aboot.
I think it's mainly a Creeper phobia (one of many)....
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #39
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
It's an option.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #40
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
It appears that Woody's Wheel Works offers this as a standard service:

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/moto_wheels.shtml

See under "Refinishing services"
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #41
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,222
wow .. 6 years later
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #42
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
wow .. 6 years later
hell it was a good laugh.... how the hell do people find this stuff?

oh shit... woody's does tubeless?!?!?!?! since when?!??!?!?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #43
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I'm dummur than U ar.....

A few yrs ago I had a flat and reallllleeee wanted, nay needed, to go riding at the last minute on a weekend, didn't have a good tube or a patch kit.. I live in the sticks of Arkansas. They ain't no bike shops in these here parts to buy a tube or even a patch kit on a Sat. afternoon and the boys wuz meeting on Sun. morning with or without me. I stuffed one of those kids styrofoam floatee pool toys wrapped tightly with duct tape in my front tire like a Bib Mousse. Rode about 35 miles hard as heck in nasty singletrack with mucho rocks before it started to break down. Even after it started feeling somewhat like a flat, it was still rideable for another 10-15 miles until it completely disintegrated and turned to mush. I still limped it back to the truck on a flat like any other flat tire.

I consider it a successful idea. Heck, for the first 35 miles it felt just like a tire with 15 lbs of air. Another time I stuffed a heavy duty 21" bicycle tube wrapped with duct tape in a rear tire, put in about 30 lbs of air, and rode 10 miles on pavement on a KLR 650 until it popped. Only had to ride 3 miles on a flat in the dark on a busy narrow back road with no shoulder then.

I for one will never make too much fun of people (gotta kid a little), who come up with inventive ideas, even when they don't work out. Einstein used to send off his brainstorms to the best minds in the world to either prove or disprove before publicly publishing them. Over 50% of his ideas either couldn't be proven or were disproven. He just kept trying and innovating and became known as the greatest scientific theorist to date.

I'm so dumb I had to look up how to spell "theorist". And "Einstein". And "brainstorm". And "Dumb".

HEY, I'M YELLING CAUSE I JUST HAD A BRAINSTORM! i WONDER IF YOU USED SHOE GOO INSTEAD OF SILICONE? OR A MIXTURE OF THE TWO? SHOE GOO IS STRONG YET FLEXIBLE, BONDS WELL, I USE IT FOR LOTS OF STUFF! I bet it wouldn't peel.

Nah,. Maybe? Nah. But what if...

To respond to something about the bedliner stuff: It don't last forever. Lasts a long time, but it is suceptable to heating and cooling cycles which bike rims get alot of. Truck beds do also, but truck beds will also peel the lining after a few yrs, and a bike tire is constantly abrading at the rim, as is the bead lock. The spoke nipple ends are also constantly twisting and moving slightly. Anything you put in there will wear away in time, I think. Why not try and do it yourself? Just carry a spare tube and flat repair kit like always to be safe in case the lining wears wears away and you get a flat. All you would have to do is punch a hole where the tube nipple goes through the rim, through the bedliner at the original hole in the rim.

Someone asked why the industry doesn't use a self sealing system? They want you to buy more tubes! And come to them to get a flat fixed. And it increases the cost of the bike initially.

Also, the industry does have the Bib Mousse and Tubliss systems, but both are very expensive. The race industry doesn't generally use tubes, at least not the off road teams. Don't know about MX?

Someone asked what's wrong with tubes? If I take a weekend, spend at least 125.00, usually 2-250, to go to a Harescramble, Enduro, or Dual Sport event, (Entry fee, gas, food, bike fuel and expenses, misc.), I don't want the hassle or wasted time fixing a flat. Even an Adventure ride from my backdoor, I don't want to have to fix a flat I wanna ride. I can swap a tube in under 20 minutes if I try but that ain't the point. That's 20 min missed riding. 20 min my buddies had to wait. possibly 20 min lost in an Enduro. Possibly a failure to climb a hill. Possibly a cut ruined tire. Tubeless is a great idea to me, but it just costs too much currently. I hope someone figures out how to make it work homeade and cheap. I hope it's me. If so, I'll let ya'll know, or I'll patent it and market it here first.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.

jgas screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 01:48 AM Reason: misspelling and addeed info
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #44
dmvmechanics
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Has anyone tried the foam rings that go inside the tire instead of a tube?
Buell 1125cr For Sale
dmvmechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #45
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvmechanics View Post
Has anyone tried the foam rings that go inside the tire instead of a tube?
Nope.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aadvrider.com+mousse
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote