n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,326
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #48
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
When I first heard of the DIY tubless kits for motorcycle I immediately wandered why I had not seen any "homegorwon" solutions posted up. People have been converting mountain bike tires to tubeless for years (though admittedly there are some differences). BUT, I'll mention some of my observations:

1. To do it, you would not need to silicone the spoke holes. Mountain bike "kits" use a rubber rim strip with a valve stem. The first thing you do is tape the rim (packing tape works well for this). Then, the rim strip is stretched over the rim. I suspect on a motorcycle, you could easily make a rim strip by cutting a tube for a slightly smaller rim.You basically want to make a strip that is as wide as the inside of the rim.

2. Sealant- there are countless concoctions for sealants, but the primary ingrediant for most is liquid latex. Alot of people mix in various other things, and often use a small amount of etheline glycol (antifreeze) to keep it from hardening too much. Just a guess, but I suspect you would need about 4 cups of sealant per tire. You need enough to coat the area where the bead meets the rim, and to "slosh around" so that any new punctures can be filled.

3. Tire Selection- I have run non tubeless mountain bike tires with DIY tubeless concersions for years, and I have learned through some very, very painful experience that all tires are not created equally. The latex sealant will degrade the carcass of some tires, and the sidewalls on some tires are just not up to the task. I don't think this would be an issue with a motorcycle tire because of the increased thickness, but having a tire blow off a rim after a big drop on a downhill bike is a bad, bad thing. It would be worse on a motorcycle.

4. Seating the bead- on a bike, I often use a CO2 ot "pop" the tire on the bead. Once it there, you quickly begin spinning the tire and waving it around so that the sealnet is dispered. You will see it seeping out/ bubbling around the edges as it seals. A motorcycle bead is much stiffer, but it could still be "popped" out with a compressor. The air pressure would hold the bead against the rim, and the sealant would still seal it. It almsot glues the bead to the rim.

All that being said, I just don't know how much I would trust it. I got hurt pretty bad in Sedona when my front tire blew off after a big drop. I would actually be much more apt to give it a shot on a street bike than a dirt bike. My experience has been that is hard impacts- especially side impacts- are the most likely to unseat the bead.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #49
nate_dogg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
where are they now?

so backdrifter, how do you look back on the silicone & duct tape after 8 years?

i've heard stories of guys taking their tires off to find balls of duct tape all wadded up bouncing around inside.. I hear that you can avoid this if you lock down the tape ends by the valve stem

did you ever hit a center punch style rock or pothole on that bike?
nate_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #50
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Thats an interesting old thread. I'm baffled that riders are accepting tubed tires on new, expensive, motorcycles. Tubeless spoked wheels have been with us since the 1980s. I find it laughable that BMW specs all their bikes with ABS in the name of safety, but specs tubed tires on their less expensive models.
It amused me to read the old posts by riders who assumed that a leaking tire would surely result in death or dismemberment.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #51
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,619
LOL!...interesting bit of history. Backdrifter's original method here is similar to what mountainbikes did many years ago. I did it to my mountainbike, and it worked OK until better kits and methods came along. On a motorcycle, however, the forces on the bead/rim interface are way more powerful. Over three years ago I installed the Nuetech Tubliss setup in my dirt bike and haven't looked back at tubes and such. The bead clamping integrity of that system is what really makes it work, as you can play with air pressures and such. The system comes with a rim lock very similar to what we already use with tubed systems, so you don't a full blown tire and bead separation. My bike is plated, so I even spend time on pavement with this setup. Can you imagine what will happen with a sudden loss of air on backdrifter's setup on a tire and rim that are not tubeless designed...and without a rimlock?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #52
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,999
Outex from Japan (silicone and then this tape should hold forever)
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~outex/tu...nglishlist.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770634
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/outex/m.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 10:24 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #53
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
TNC wrote;

Can you imagine what will happen with a sudden loss of air on backdrifter's setup on a tire and rim that are not tubeless designed...and without a rimlock?
End quote..

The same thing as if it had a tube installed with no rim-lock, and no safety bead lock like many bikes.

Possibly the air would escape faster with a tube installed and lead to a loose tire and death even faster than with the tubeless setup. Would not air escape thru the spoke holes, as well as the puncture?

Yeah, that's a stretch, but still plausible.

Now for a public service announcement.
If your rims have a safety bead like this you can safely run tubeless tires with no tubes and no rimlock.

Original thread here if anybody's interested.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...or-under-10-00!!!!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #54
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
ummm...whats wrong with tubes?

hows this...just take your rim down to the local lineX dealer and have him spray all the OD of the rim and nipples with it. yea that'll work too
Have you ever got a flat on a tubed streetbike wheel and yanked the wheel off on the side of the road,broken the bead,changed out the tube on a 110 degree day with no shade to be found? On a 500+ lb bike wobbling around on a centerstand trying to get the wheel back on?
If it has a centerstand that is. Ive done it once,I dont own streetbikes with tubed wheels anymore,not now not ever,
Most streetriders dont carry tubes/tire irons/air pump/rubber gloves or the knowledge of how to change a tire,they just assume it wont happen to them. Or they will call home.

A plug can usually be in place in minutes if you know what your doing,thats why people want tubeless tires. As an aside a friend did the silicone rim seal thing on his Triumph Tiger years ago and it still works fine,never leaked.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #55
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
TNC wrote;

Can you imagine what will happen with a sudden loss of air on backdrifter's setup on a tire and rim that are not tubeless designed...and without a rimlock?
End quote..

The same thing as if it had a tube installed with no rim-lock, and no safety bead lock like many bikes.

Possibly the air would escape faster with a tube installed and lead to a loose tire and death even faster than with the tubeless setup. Would not air escape thru the spoke holes, as well as the puncture?

Yeah, that's a stretch, but still plausible.

Now for a public service announcement.
If your rims have a safety bead like this you can safely run tubeless tires with no tubes and no rimlock.

Original thread here if anybody's interested.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...or-under-10-00!!!!
Streetbikes havent had rimlocks for many years.
I got a flat on a chrome rimmed 2007 Triumph Scrambler with tubed rim,the tire fell off the rim before I could even stop,if I had been going fast it would have been spectacular no doubt.
Then it turned out the swingarm needed to be spread a ways to get the wheel back on while holding the two wheel spacers in place with both hands while trying to shoehorn the wheel back in...........

Guys should maybe consider this when riding bikes,could they fix it if there was no way to get help? No cell phone coverage,middle of BFE.
What would you do?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #56
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
After reading several articles on DIY tubeless conversions, I decided to give it a go. The bike is DRZ400sm. The rims are lipped on the bead(And it is damn near impossible to break the bead even with bead breaker), they have 10,000 miles on them and are still perfectly true. The tires are tubeless(Conti Force SM front and Pirelli Diablo Rosso II rear)
I used the Seal-All/ Goop method that can be found in Orange Crush.
First I cleaned the rims. Then I used a 3M stripper at each nipple(which barely touched the anodizing), then roughed around each nipple with emery cloth, sprayed it down with carb cleaner, washed that off with alcohol and then dryed with compressed air. I also filed back the weld in the bead area.
I used a syringe to fill each nipple with Seal-All, run it around the edge, then cover everything with a layer, making sure there were no bubbles. After twenty four hours, I covered this with a nice layer of Goop, twelve hours later I added a second layer of Goop. I tried to peel off some Goop that was dribbled between the nipples. That stuff is really on there.
The next day(today) I mounted the tires and submerged to check for leaks. No leaks at the nipples but the front was leaking a very small amount around the bead and quite a bit where the rim is welded together(also at the bead). I pulled the tire, and went back to work on the weld(Thought I had it smooth enough, guess not) I also found a tire shop that carried Safety Seal. I ran a light application around the rim before inflating the tire, no leaks. On the rear, I did not try it without the safety seal, because as I mentioned, breaking the bead is pretty hard.
Rear wheel weight dropped one pound nine ounces, have not checked the front change yet.

With just the Seal-All applied

While there is always a chance of failure, I have read plenty of long term success stories, and I am confident that the application was well done. At the least I don't see it going down any faster than the flat I had last year(Tire stayed on)
Even if they don't fail, I put on new front pads, so they could always fall out. :)

fuelish screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 08:31 PM
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #57
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Got to ride today. Allowing for the profile of the new rear tire, there is quite a difference in handling. It is quicker, almost twitchy until I got used to it. A SMIDSY waggle really shows the improvement from reducing unsprung weight. I will probably bump up the damping a click or two, esp. rebound.
And, the weight decrease in front was one pound four ounces.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #58
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Glad to see this thread here. I want to use the 3M 4412N tape on my DR650 and just wondering if anyone has done this? As the center section not too wide I was planning on using the 1" wide tape but concerned that there may not be enough space between the indentation for the spoke and shoulder (?) of the center of the rim. I Hope that makes sense. Anyways I may be the first and I'll post up how it goes. With all the technology advances why do we still have tube type rims???
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #59
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Glad to see this thread here. I want to use the 3M 4412N tape on my DR650 and just wondering if anyone has done this? As the center section not too wide I was planning on using the 1" wide tape but concerned that there may not be enough space between the indentation for the spoke and shoulder (?) of the center of the rim. I Hope that makes sense. Anyways I may be the first and I'll post up how it goes. With all the technology advances why do we still have tube type rims???
From reading the PDF it looks like it would work. You would want to put silicone in the nipple hole and around the nipple to smooth the transition and not give a depression for air pressure to deform the tape in to. Looks like they also have an adhesion promoter for metal, 111 was the number.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #60
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
I have found another method to seal the spokes. http://cyb.smugmug.com/gallery/72508...979444&k=cW2xa

There are also some who use the seal-all and tape that seems like the way to go with the narrow rim. Just ordered some new tires and will let you know how it works out.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote