Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I had the Touratech guards w/the extenders (sold the bike). Were I to do it again I'd probably get ones with some metal in them. The TTs seemed a bit flimsy to me.
I use the TT ones with extenders and still like them. I dropped the bike 3 times on paved roads and they still are all right.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
KTM250rm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thanks for all your ideas. I went ahead and ordered Touratech, hopefully I never dump my F800GS on he road.

Rick
KTM250rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I have the barkbusters on mine. I have had many drops, more on the right side than I care to remember. They have always protected the levers on both sides. They will start to bend after a few hard drops, but I just removed them and bent them back into shape. If you want the most robust hand guards the highway dirt bikes ones are the way to go.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
Gravytrain
house husband

Oddometer: 202
Hdb

Could not be more happy with my Highway dirt bike guards
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,218
I am biased (I know Paul and consider him a good friend). That said the HDB guards are absolutely the best on the market. Tough as nails, great design and all kinds of customization options. I will NEVER put anything else on my bikes
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I'm leaning towards HDB, if they ever reply to my e-mail.

Can you get those w/o threading the ends? What exactly are you tapping and using the thread insert for?

That's my #1 concern, changing the handlebars so that you couldn't go back to stock or use another manufacturer.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #22
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
I am biased (I know Paul and consider him a good friend). That said the HDB guards are absolutely the best on the market. Tough as nails, great design and all kinds of customization options. I will NEVER put anything else on my bikes
+1 HDB's are awesome. Uber Beefy
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #23
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
I'm leaning towards HDB, if they ever reply to my e-mail.

Can you get those w/o threading the ends? What exactly are you tapping and using the thread insert for?

That's my #1 concern, changing the handlebars so that you couldn't go back to stock or use another manufacturer.
You are tapping into the ends of your bars and you can use any handlebar you want stock or aftermarket. I have the 2012 trophy edition with the BMW hand guards and they were already tapped...I just used the existing tap and fit it right up. As far as I know the tap and threaded insert will work for all aftermarket and stock handle bars. All decent hand guards use the end of your handlebars to mount in some way. HDB uses a tap and a threaded insert for more strength and stability. I have installed many other hand guard systems and none have been as easy to install or as easy to put back into place after a fall Also look at the top clamp options, many different ways to add accessories!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
You are tapping into the ends of your bars and you can use any handlebar you want stock or aftermarket. I have the 2012 trophy edition with the BMW hand guards and they were already tapped...I just used the existing tap and fit it right up. As far as I know the tap and threaded insert will work for all aftermarket and stock handle bars. All decent hand guards use the end of your handlebars to mount in some way. HDB uses a tap and a threaded insert for more strength and stability. I have installed many other hand guard systems and none have been as easy to install or as easy to put back into place after a fall Also look at the top clamp options, many different ways to add accessories!
Oh gawd, I'm feeling like a moron. Didn't quite get what was being said as I was imaging the insert already there. When I saw "tap" I was thinking some need to create a new larger hole in the existing threaded hole (e.g. helicoil)

Short week, sigh.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
I had some Barkbusters and they were pretty nice, got the job done, they did bend a bit when the bike was dropped over..........but the Highway Dirtbike guards are much.... much nicer! Much more stout, fit well with the top clamp that it comes with, look great and the little flip out mirrors are perfect (for me at least, they can shake a bit at speed). Even when the bike goes down with the mirrors out they just flip in, rather than getting smashed and breaking. I think they are worth the extra cash.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
BudMor
Can't have just one.

Oddometer: 65
Since my off roading consists of a gravel drive at the most I grabbed a cheap set of Raider handguards and cobbled them onto my gs. They wouldn't stand up to much as far as off road with plastic mounts and all but for 24.00 you cant expect to much :) they do keep the wind off my hands a bit and will kill the occasional stone kicked up by a car from hitting my hands.
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #27
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I have the standard BM handguards, but even with the the little extension on them my fingers go numb in winter. These little jiggers from Moose racing are great. I was put onto them by Gadget 678 from the DRZ400 thread over here. The guards are easily fitted and removed, are flexible, cheap and look much better than the 5 litre oil containers I had fitted for the the last couple of winters!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #28
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
I have the standard BM handguards, but even with the the little extension on them my fingers go numb in winter. These little jiggers from Moose racing are great. I was put onto them by Gadget 678 from the DRZ400 thread over here. The guards are easily fitted and removed, are flexible, cheap and look much better than the 5 litre oil containers I had fitted for the the last couple of winters!

Oh please tell me you have a picture of those5 litre oil containers!

R1150GSA SE

Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #29
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Oh please tell me you have a picture of those5 litre oil containers!

The only problem I had with them was that the print on the LHS one was upside down! I did contact Penrite for a mirror image container, but have had no response so far!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #30
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post

The only problem I had with them was that the print on the LHS one was upside down! I did contact Penrite for a mirror image container, but have had no response so far!
That is amazing great farkling! If one day I want to make a bashplate out of a shoebox I'll give you a call!

R1150GSA SE