Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Laugh RIDE Report: Trials Inc, Newark OH (9/1-2/12)

We had another fantastic time this weekend, at another fabulously run Trials Inc competition.

We're really impressed with and enjoying how this region manages their events. The scoring table/signup runs fluidly and consistently; the checkers are well educated and do a great job; the class difficulty seems pretty consistent across the 3 separate weekends we've gone. The rules are clear and followed more consistently than most sports and most events I've attended.

The "youth" trials competitions held here REALLY impressed me. I'd often thought we needed something back home, back east, back 2 decades ago. Is it common now? I've no idea. But what a blast to see literally DOZENS of youngsters putting around on anything from Ocets to Beta 125s all weekend long, and earnestly giving their best through the youth mini-trials held in the morning prior to each event.

SO...this weekend's competition...
we chose to drive nearly 7 hours one way, to reach Newark Ohio before 1130am on Saturday morning. The private farm that allows the event was immaculately kept and the ownership so incredibly friendly and welcoming; the rules were clear and the event management worked to ensure that the owner's few, very reasonable requests were met.

The novice sections (my lifelong difficulty level, and I'm ok with that) were mostly reasonable; they had what I would describe as a relatively high to a-little-too-high complexity and technical level for novice, but low fear factor. There was one I chose not to ride at all on Saturday that had an offcamber bank crossing and an offcamber 180 that I wasn't willing to risk -- even that section had an easy way to get around it and simply ride by, to the checker, to take my 5 and go on.

The loop was VERY user friendly; I cannot remember a "deep gulp" point anywhere on the loop on Saturday.

The upper level sections likewise seemed consistent, and Mike riding the Sportsman lines gave him good challenges all along the way. I saw him make 'the grimace face' more than once before tackling a line.

Saturday night, as we're sleeping in the bed of our truck on an air mattress, the rain came. and came, and came, and brought some lightning just for entertainment. It rained enough, I decided I wouldn't ride Sunday. But at riders meeting, they let us know that they had
1) chosen the easier sections for sunday b/c of the threat of rain;
2) gone out sunday morning, ridden in the sections, and eased some of the lines to manage the weather conditions.

Mike went and signed me up before I could change my mind and off on the Sunday morning ride we went! Boy am I glad I did.

Loop -- they had taken the time to select loop sections that were less likely to be flooded or slippy/slimey, making the loop still a VERY enjoyable ride, even after what was easily 2-3" of rain. They left in a really long section of very ridable loop that helped to spread the riders out (even if it did tire an old lady a bit...)

Sections -- Sunday's sections were really high on the "loose/bowling ball type rocks" count. Again, the technical level was, IMHO, a bit over the top for novice (one section in particular, 1/3 of all novice rides were a 5 and another 1/3 were 3s) -- but the fear factor was very low and reasonable in nearly all. Again there was just 1 that I chose not to try all day (a log a bit thicker than I am comfortable trying to lift over). there was another - a long uphill section just strewn with those loose nasty rocks, that could've gotten bad and had a nasty 180 turn entry that gave us novices little chance to prepare -- MOST of my class 3'd the section all day. But again, nearly everything had a low scare factor, and gave us a good chance to test our skills.

The Sunday sections were less effected by the weather and muddiness than Saturday' would've been; that was great thinking on a very capable CD's part! -- but remained very challenging for the upper level riders and really interesting for a rookie like me to watch.

Anyway, wish I had photos to share. It was a GREAT event, so well run, and a venue we all dream of!! I can't recommend highly enough that others take the drive if you're even remotely close enough. We've been really impressed with all 3 TI events, and are very ready to go on to #4...just 2 weeks away!
ps: did I mention I got a medal on Saturday, 7th place? WOOHOO!
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Newark is always great,and likely the most challenging novice/intermediate lines in T.I. all year.

Had to bail out for Sunday,tweaked my bad shoulder Saturday and thought I'd better not try in the mud sunday,any drops and I'd be out for the rest of the year.

P.S.Stoney Lonesome will be great too...,my turn to work though...

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv

dmay screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 07:41 PM
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
Newark is always great,and likely the most challenging novice/intermediate lines in T.I. all year.

Had to bail out for Sunday,tweaked my bad shoulder Saturday and thought I'd better not try in the mud sunday,any drops and I'd be out for the rest of the year.
Sorry to hear that, Doug! I wondered why we didn't see you again. the mud turned out to be fiarly low key but those rocks ilkely would've really tweaked your shoulder, so glad you didn't hurt yourself! SEE YOU NEXT TIME!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post
Sorry to hear that, Doug! I wondered why we didn't see you again. the mud turned out to be fiarly low key but those rocks ilkely would've really tweaked your shoulder, so glad you didn't hurt yourself! SEE YOU NEXT TIME!

I had grabbed a cheap hotel room in newark,sat there 2 hours sunday morning dithering on weather to chance it or not...the leaking roof in the room kinda decided for me...It was a slow speed over the bars in section 6 that did me,shoulder just cant take that wrenching action as you deny that you're going over. Need to learn to "hold pressure" so I can set the front wheel down just where I want it. Since I'll be working Stoney I'll have time to be 100% by the next trial!

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
I had grabbed a cheap hotel room in newark,sat there 2 hours sunday morning dithering on weather to chance it or not...the leaking roof in the room kinda decided for me...It was a slow speed over the bars in section 6 that did me,shoulder just cant take that wrenching action as you deny that you're going over. Need to learn to "hold pressure" so I can set the front wheel down just where I want it. Since I'll be working Stoney I'll have time to be 100% by the next trial!
OUCH!!! Very sorry to hear about the endo. Yeah, I sugested at breakfast that we go home; glad we didn't, but sounds like it was right for you. Take care of that shoulder, we'll see you at Stoney!