User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Blueskin950s OP
There can be only one!

Oddometer: 72
Cracked frame!

After reading an earlier thread about cracks in the frame I checked my own and found the same crack as described, they are at the brackets that back of the bash plate bolts onto,(can't find earlier thread, it has pic's). My dealer is going to change the complete frame, but I recall someone saying that their dealer had welded theirs, this is not acceptable,(according to KTM). So go back to your dealer and demand a new frame!
Blueskin950s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskin950s
but I recall someone saying that their dealer had welded theirs, this is not acceptable,(according to KTM).So go back to your dealer and demand a new frame!
This is total BS Blue... There's no need to scare people with these agitating words. Both procedures - new frame and welding - are officially approved by KTM but only if the welder is certified and approved by KTM. This is the earlier thread about it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70372

My frame is welded by Sommer KTM (Germany) and this is registered at KTM on the VIN # of the bike. Done almost invisible btw, excellent work. Welding takes less stripdown of the bike and the frame will be stronger than stock through some reinforcement in this area.

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Gotta agree with KTMax.

I think it was discussed in the other thread, but I'd be more worried about the average shop messing up the frame change, (misrouting lines, incorrect torque on fastners, missing parts, etc.) then I would of a welf repair performed by a competent welder.

I would guess that KTM is just covering their butt, as IMHO, there are a lot of guys that call themselves welders that I wouldn't trust to let touch my worn out pickup muffler, let alone a bike frame. Just my .02
Old 06-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
The KTM frame is a weldiment to begin with
Old 06-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Blueskin950s OP
There can be only one!

Oddometer: 72
Wicked

KTMax, I wasn't trying to scare anyone with my 'agitating' words, I was just repeating what my dealer had told me. I myself thought a weld would be good enough, they told me it wasn't, maybe you should ask your dealer why their advice differs from mine, and why they took the cheaper option before you say its BS. Besides, with only 3 months to run on my warranty, a new frame will be very nice, thank's.

Blueskin950s screwed with this post 06-06-2005 at 01:39 PM
Blueskin950s is offline   Reply With Quote