User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Timbersled Snowbike-I think I really want one

It seems like the technology is getting way better and it looks like these could be a really legitimate snow toy. I've done a lot of reading and video watching but I guess I'd like to hear some negatives. Most guys seem to love them but there has to be some negatives besides not being fun on a groomed trail.

I'm not looking for a snow bike vs sled debate. Watch recent Timbersled specific videos before chiming in on how these suck and sleds are better.

They 5-6k so I'm not getting one without a lot of research and at least one demo ride.

Yooper-at-heart screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 03:49 PM
Yooper-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIW1Iu...%3DDyIW1Iu6-A4
Old 11-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
So....what kind of bike are you gonna bolt that thing on to?
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,812
Ive been considering one myself. Just cant decide between the T Sled or the 2Moto.

Id have to ride some trails to get to my off trail spots, so the lean is towards the 2Moto kit that supposedly works better on hardpak. BUT from my research, the T Sled works far better in every other aspect.

Another advantage on the 2Moto is that a lot of guys are getting rid of them and buying T Sled set ups = cheaper price for used. That way I can get me feet wet (figuratively), keep the initial cost low and still keep my sled. I saw a 2Moto kit that would work on one of my bikes go for 2K

Id most likely put it on my 690. For me, its the better choice over my freshly rebuilt 520, due to the FI over Carb aspect.
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Bob

Well I'm actually bikeless at the moment but that is temporary. I'm sure I'll end up with a 350-500 exc and I also have my I on a local Husaberg 450. I snowmobile but prefer to play in the woods and hills as much as possible so this could make sense.

I'm pretty sure sure they would fit your 690 adventure....that would be pretty cool!

I've been talking to a dealer in lower michigan and there is a place called someday adventures that is doing snowbike day tours and would consider getting up here if he could book a couple of days of customers. It's about $250 for the day which is pretty expensive especially if you have a perfectly good sled. I just sold my Crossfire though so I would consider spending the money to get a really good feel for these before dropping over 5k.

Would you be interested? I can keep you in the loop.

Yooper-at-heart screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 09:02 AM
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Ive been considering one myself. Just cant decide between the T Sled or the 2Moto.

Id have to ride some trails to get to my off trail spots, so the lean is towards the 2Moto kit that supposedly works better on hardpak. BUT from my research, the T Sled works far better in every other aspect.

Another advantage on the 2Moto is that a lot of guys are getting rid of them and buying T Sled set ups = cheaper price for used. That way I can get me feet wet (figuratively), keep the initial cost low and still keep my sled. I saw a 2Moto kit that would work on one of my bikes go for 2K

Id most likely put it on my 690. For me, its the better choice over my freshly rebuilt 520, due to the FI over Carb aspect.
Yeah I thought about getting a cheaper one and then upgrading if I really liked it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

I've already got a snowmobile (custom 151" Yamaha Warrior)...but these setups have always peaked my interest.

Not sure if I would spring $250 for a day of riding (which is about the same as a sled rental). If you get one though, I would certainly like to see it in person.

My 640 Adventure may be just a bit nose heavy for one of these setups...especially, in deep powder.

I wonder how they would do at road crossings? Seems like the front ski could easily wash out when crossing dry pavement.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I've already got a snowmobile (custom 151" Yamaha Warrior)...but these setups have always peaked my interest.

Not sure if I would spring $250 for a day of riding (which is about the same as a sled rental). If you get one though, I would certainly like to see it in person.

My 640 Adventure may be just a bit nose heavy for one of these setups...especially, in deep powder.

I wonder how they would do at road crossings? Seems like the front ski could easily wash out when crossing dry pavement.
Yeah it would have to be really convincing to make you want one over the sled you have. It's too expensive for most to just have as a side toy.

I'm sure your right about your 640 but it would still be really cool!

My guess is that there would be a ton of guys curious that would do a free demo but not many likely to pay $250 for the day. I bet I could round up a pretty good crew for a free demo day.

I know if I mentioned to Zambon he should try to get a demo and consider being a dealer he would just laugh at me. I like Nick but he does what he does and it's not changing.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Don't get me started on Zambon's.......

After calling them one day regarding some service work, and being told quote "I don't want your business"... I have done my best to make sure they have never gotten any of my business.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Don't get me started on Zambon's.......

After calling them one day regarding some service work, and being told quote "I don't want your business"... I have done my best to make sure they have never gotten any of my business.
He is an interesting character. I get along with him well but there are way too many stories like yours. I don't get it. If I had the cash I would love to buy that place and really get creative with it. Repairing the inconsistent customer service reputation would first on the list.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

I actually get an erection when I look at these setups.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Not another snowbike...

I get the idea, but IMO if they really were a ton of fun we would see more, and manufactures wouldn't pop up every few years just to drop out of the game 18-24 months later.

This looks almost identical to the kit I saw many years ago. Its also very similar to the snowhawk, although that thing felt like riding a fatboy. Even that, what with massive advertising and involvement in the USA's permier snowcross series failed to last more than a few years.

Its a neat idea, but if it was the cats meow it would have taken off by now.

And hey, I've never been on a snowmobile trip that didn't involve lots of stopping. A sled just sits there and you can sit on it, what happens to a bike that wants to tip over and there is no firm place to put your feet? And heck, on that note, if you fall over in any sort of powder, how the heck do you get back up on the thing? Sink 3-4" into the snow and you would have a heck of a time trying to throw a leg over darn near any bike.

So whats the point then? Trail riding? Pretty sure you can't go too darn fast through the twisties on it, so straight line riding then? At which point, well, then what is the point? You sure as heck can't ride deep powder in it for the reasons above, and just try and pick a 300 lb bike up when its laying on its side while your feet are already sinking 6-8" into the powder with your weight alone, let alone try and get it moving and get on when you can't take off from a dead stop while seated...

Neat idea and I don't fault anybody for buying and enjoying it, but IMHO the limited enjoyable times over a plain old snowmobile dont make up for the annoyance and limited usability it would have at other times. Me personally I would rather be railing a corner, sitting on the inside floorboard, backend slid out and one ski in the air, than trying to take a corner worred about some sugar snow at the apex. Or catwalking, ski's in the air, busting a new trail through some virgin powder too deep to think about standing on.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
Not another snowbike...

I get the idea, but IMO if they really were a ton of fun we would see more, and manufactures wouldn't pop up every few years just to drop out of the game 18-24 months later.

This looks almost identical to the kit I saw many years ago. Its also very similar to the snowhawk, although that thing felt like riding a fatboy. Even that, what with massive advertising and involvement in the USA's permier snowcross series failed to last more than a few years.

And hey, I've never been on a snowmobile trip that didn't involve lots of stopping. A sled just sits there and you can sit on it, what happens to a bike that wants to tip over and there is no firm place to put your feet? And heck, on that note, if you fall over in any sort of powder, how the heck do you get back up on the thing? Sink 3-4" into the snow and you would have a heck of a time trying to throw a leg over darn near any bike.

So whats the point then? Trail riding? Pretty sure you can't go too darn fast through the twisties on it, so straight line riding then? At which point, well, then what is the point? You sure as heck can't ride deep powder in it for the reasons above, and just try and pick a 300 lb bike up when its laying on its side while your feet are already sinking 6-8" into the powder with your weight alone, let alone try and get it moving and get on when you can't take off from a dead stop while seated...

Neat idea and I don't fault anybody for buying and enjoying it, but IMHO the limited enjoyable times over a plain old snowmobile dont make up for the annoyance and limited usability it would have at other times. Me personally I would rather be railing a corner, sitting on the inside floorboard, backend slid out and one ski in the air, than trying to take a corner worred about some sugar snow at the apex. Or catwalking, ski's in the air, busting a new trail through some virgin powder too deep to think about standing on.

Once again this is not a sled vs. snowbike debate. I like sleds....a lot. Carving up snow on a sled is about as good as it gets. I can't speak until I ride one but I've been reading everything possible and they have come along way and the popularity is growing. As far as deep snow capabilities....watch the videos....I see no weakness at all.

I want to play in the woods and snow and I've not seen a weakness yet. If I can't fly down a trail doing 90, no loss to me.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Quote:
Not another snowbike...

Also, I live in a place where I can drive 2 minutes and go ride for an hour. If I lived somewhere like you do I would not even consider this option.

That's not a crack at Ohio, location greatly affects toy selection though.

Yooper-at-heart screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 10:58 AM
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Not another snowbike...

I guess I find this post kind of baffling. I don't have any experience with these things other than online research and watching videos and drooling, but you should watch some of those videos because it sounds like you haven't. these things can fly through powder diagonally up the sides of mountains. the track is wide enough that they don't look tippy at all. they make snowmobiles seem obsolete.

the part about being able to get on is strange. if you're standing in 6-8 inches of powder... so is the bike, weighing 400 pounds and sinking in. getting back on a dirt bike when you crash on a hill can be a bitch too, but we manage.

I am only aware of three manufacturers in the history of snowbikes. which ones went out of business?

the reason they aren't "catching on" is the same reason these new $10k electric mountain bikes that go 50 mph aren't catching on. it's a very high cost limited appeal item. it doesn't mean they aren't awesome.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote