Yes, it's time to add sub folders. 39 70.91%
No, it's a stupid idea ~ don't eff with my thread. 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
zig06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Time for sub folders???

Does anyone besides me think that it's time to break the "Thumper" forum down a little bit more?? i.e. Honda (street, dual sport, MX) or KTM (2 stroke, thumpers, street), you get the idea.

Right now most of our threads have millions of hits and just about every one of them have several different topics going at one time... Following one subject is like listening to one conversation in a very big and loud bar ~ and your table isn't talking about what your following...

Which means that with so many users a simple suspension or jet question can be quickly buried three or four pages deep in one day before it gets answered, and even if it does get answered you still need to sift through all of those pages "just to be sure" that you spotted any on topic answer before offering up a thank you or more information...

Make sense?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Even though I have three KTM singles (and an XR650R until recently), I hardly ever visit "Thumper" anymore because it's so cluttered and scattered. I find myself going to other more specific forums.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,222
I thought it was lame when there are a bazillion KTM and BMW threads for everything from serious to what air caps were the best (I know, an exaggeration, but still gets the idea across). Then people chime in when some Japanese thumper rider pops a question in a new thread, telling them they should post in the specific threads. What a crock! Some Euro rider can post trivia, but a guy who has a Japanese bike that has a specific issue is told to go to the general model thread...

I'm betting the Japanese bike ownership outnumbers the Euros quite easily, maybe not here, in general. The attitude they are second class riders kind of sucks. I'm betting most KTM/BMW riders started with Japanese bikes, but now they pretend like they never did. I've seen Harley guys I know started with Japanese bikes - even two strokes - but now they're "part of the club" they look down their noses and act as if the only motorcycle in the world is Harley, like they'd never own one - yeah, bullshit! I knew them and knew what they rode. Sounds familiar... everything is junk but KTMs, nothing else can negotiate off road. Yeah, what did they start with?

So why not split them up a bit, Euro/Asian/world if nothing else. Euro would deal with Euro specific, Asian the same, and world would possibly be for comparison or questions for riders who are considering all models. Manufacturer might work, but possibly too much split.

Besides, it might get the constant "get a KTM690" out of every thread where a rider is looking for a new ride.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Leave it as it is. There are only 13 pages of Thumper threads... that's (very politely) not very much.

Having sub forums would only leave people with more experience to check between forums.

I've owned most Jap bike brands and have worked on Huskys, Aprillias, Ducatis, you name it. I couldn't give a stuff who posts what, its all the same. Guy has bike, has problem, needs advice.

For the sake of simplicity, keep it how it is.

- boingk
Old 07-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,532
Google is easy enough to use. At least it is for me. It took me all of ten seconds to Google up the buried 525 Adventure thread last night. So I don't see a problem with this setup. I do see a potential problem with subforums.

When Thumpertalk went to subforums for everything it devolved into a bunch of little echo chambers. Now it is about the worst bike forum on the web. KTMtalk isn't a whole lot better. To me, it is actually harder like that.

Besides, if all you want to read about is what you own or want to own then there is almost certainly already a forum somewhere just for you. So why screw up this one to become what you can already find elsewhere?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 2,130
Since I am an all orange convert I would have to go back and forth between sub forums to get to the WRR regret thread and that just is to much work.

In all seriousness though I like how it is setup now each bike has it's own thread, sometimes two, and it makes getting help a lot easier instead of stupid little threads for every little thing on each individual model.

So the old man in me says,

alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
sistas
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Leave it as it is. There are only 13 pages of Thumper threads... that's (very politely) not very much.

Having sub forums would only leave people with more experience to check between forums.

I've owned most Jap bike brands and have worked on Huskys, Aprillias, Ducatis, you name it. I couldn't give a stuff who posts what, its all the same. Guy has bike, has problem, needs advice.

- boingk
There's 1,214. Check your settings.
sistas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistas View Post
yeah but only 13 pages have been active in the last month. The other 1201 pages are mostly dead threads.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:

- boingk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Besides, if all you want to read about is what you own or want to own then there is almost certainly already a forum somewhere just for you. So why screw up this one to become what you can already find elsewhere?
Exactly. I like to know what's going on in the vast thumper universe without having to check several different subforums. It's not THAT hard to find what you're looking for, especially if you use the provided tools, like subscribing to the threads you traffic frequently.
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
It would be nice if people with common models used the thread for those models. For example, we don't need a thread specific to which aftermarket tank to buy for a KLR 650 when there is a perfectly good KLR 650 thread it could be posted in.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
It would be nice if people with common models used the thread for those models. For example, we don't need a thread specific to which aftermarket tank to buy for a KLR 650 when there is a perfectly good KLR 650 thread it could be posted in.
Well, KLR riders are probably still on dial-up, so I can see how starting a new thread vs. searching for the existing KLR thread is a major savings for them.
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistas View Post
Oh, righteous

Thanks mate!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #13
matty86suk
Buccaneer

Oddometer: 140
I think individual sub-forums for each model would get lots of traffic. Google search usually finds what I'm looking for though.
matty86suk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
zig06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Don't know where the Japanese reference came from but "I'll play", actually I sort of consider myself to be a motorcycle whore ~ "I'll ride any bike!"

The bigger deal isn't that I want my own play ground, but it's more because if I'm trying to solve a problem in two days I could have 8 pages to sift through before finding the one guy that I was dealing with that claimed he had a solution.

It's just a thought, and it maybe my engineering roots are wanting to put everything into some kind of order. Even complete chaos happens in a predictable order.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #15
sistas
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Oh, righteous

Thanks mate!
Can never have too much reading ��
sistas is offline   Reply With Quote