User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
WoodSmith OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumbs down What's the point?

First post here, but that was my thoughts while riding back from the offfroad park. I just got a XR650L to use as an eduro. Ride to work on occasion, ride to offroad parks here in central Illinois. Two problems, posting this to get others opinions.

1. Mukuni flatslide installed by former owner, I believe the main jet is too big. Opened up to WFO it goes from 65-70mph at about 3/4 throttle, down to about 55 mph with a terrible stumble. Worse when warmed up, a little worse with the Supertrapp closed end cap installed in place of the open XRS only open end cap I bought it with. The open exhaust is not spark arrested so not allowed at the two local offroad parks here. Therefore the closed exhaust is needed for offroad. THe point here is not good as a commuter on the highway as currently jetted.
2. First time offroad today. Took to a muddy offroad park. The Pirelli Scorpions gave little traction in the mud. I know, you are probably saying DOH! However, let me repeat, first time offroad. I did not make it far before I turned around and left.

On the way back home, I said to myself the title of this post, what's the point? No good on the highway as currently jetted, no good in muddy terrain with Pirelli scorpions. I guess the obvious is, re-jet and get more dirt oriented tires. Anyone know of any motorcycle shops in Central IL?

Any other suggestions?
WoodSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
The point.

It's been my experience that XR650L's don't respond to a performance carb as well as other bikes due to their lower compression ratio. Is the Mikuni a pumper carb? Re-jetting isn't that difficult and could get pretty expensive at a shop. Google terms like "XR650L Mikuni pumper carb" and read posts like this:
http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html
http://www.zootpong.com/mikuni-carb/
There is probably a Youtube video showing how to get at the jets.
If you have the original CV carb I would probably put it back on and sell the Mikuni. The CV will support the engine even with some serious performance mods.
Here is a great post by Cycle Wizard explaining the XRL engine:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736864

The Kenda K270 series tire seems to be an affordable tire that would work good for your intended use.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
WoodSmith OP
n00b

Got it!

Thanks, smokeeater495. I appreciate the input. Had not come across http://www.zootpong.com/mikuni-carb/ yet. Also, Thinking of getting the Kenda 270 or Shinko 244s and see what happens in the mud then.

The street performance is muuuuchh better with the side cover off. I checked the carb today. 150 main, 020 pilot, about right. Floats set at about 20.2mm. Mikuni calls for 18-20mm in the HSR manual I got, so a little off. Thinking, maybe, not getting enough air? With the side cover off it pulls GREAT from idle to WFO. Woo hoo! I get it now!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodSmith View Post
Thanks, smokeeater495. I appreciate the input. Had not come across http://www.zootpong.com/mikuni-carb/ yet. Also, Thinking of getting the Kenda 270 or Shinko 244s and see what happens in the mud then.

The street performance is muuuuchh better with the side cover off. I checked the carb today. 150 main, 020 pilot, about right. Floats set at about 20.2mm. Mikuni calls for 18-20mm in the HSR manual I got, so a little off. Thinking, maybe, not getting enough air? With the side cover off it pulls GREAT from idle to WFO. Woo hoo! I get it now!
Kenda 270's and Shinko 244's are both 50/50 tires which work well in dry and hard packed off-pavement, but do not work for mud. Look for more open knobs like the Kenda trackmaster. If the mud is gummy clay, nothing really works all that well and is still DOT.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
The Kenda 270 is fine offroad, but terrible on asphalt. The rear squirms like mad when cornering, and the front will get cupped out and noisy in less than 1000 miles. It's a junk street tire, even for casual riding.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
WoodSmith OP
n00b

"If the mud is gummy clay, nothing really works all that well and is still DOT."
It is, so I might be SOL.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
choices

Quote:
"If the mud is gummy clay, nothing really works all that well and is still DOT."
It is, so I might be SOL.
Think positive, check out some new places to use the XRL. Has to be lots of unpaved riding around and the XRL really shines on 2-track.
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,109
I am about to start down the pumper carb road but don't have any help to give yet.

For a rear tire you can try the D606. it's really aggressive but wears quickly on the pavement. I'm ordering a D908 rear and MT21 front tomorrow.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 PM   #9
WoodSmith OP
n00b

Now I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
Think positive, check out some new places to use the XRL. Has to be lots of unpaved riding around and the XRL really shines on 2-track.
Thanks oldenuf. You are right. I went to a different offroad park. Mostly dirt. Not much mud. It was really my first offroad riding experience. I loved it! I spent an hour or so. I never realized how demanding dirt/offroad riding is! But fun, too. I will definitely be back.

WIth additional air for the carburetion by cutting holes in the airbox and not trying to drive through mud, I get it!
Old Today, 07:42 PM   #10
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
I've been monkeying with my carb now for a couple of months. Between a dirty air filter and crud coming from an old choke cable, I couldn't keep the stock carb clean. I've finally got those cleaned up and it seems on the mend. I'd make sure everything on the intake side is clean and fresh.

The bike isn't a monster but should have plenty of oomph to get you to 75 and should be as smooth as a thumper without cush drive can be. If you're playing in mud, get real tires. I got a great deal on T63's and they bite well enough to make the BRP climb like a tractor. It's one of those compromise bikes: not great at anything, but good at a lot of things. I'd give it some time, get it tuned properly and then see. They make decent commuters, but they do get hot in stop and go.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote