MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Hey mental do you have a crf250l
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post

Nope. I have spent about 200 miles on one and will probably get one for my wife and son to ride around spring. I'm sure I'll have fun on it too.

I enjoyed the time I spent on the CRF250L. Have you enjoyed yours???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I'm always interested in providing ACCURATE information and it is nitpicking. You put it out there...

And i did refer to your 'not giving you all the info' remark as the reason I thought it wasn't there.

I guess your panties easily wad

I'm with you about accurate info. The overall picture with its assorted veiwpoints should be concidered when posting tech items or how to's.

Misinformation doesn't help anyone. If you point it out, expect someones panties to get wadded up. I write it off as the price to pay to help the other fellow inmates. There are so many noobs who just joined when they bought this bike or others who haven't spent anytime elsewhere on this site that don't get the overall picture.

It is a public forum so my suggestion would be to put us on ignore. Then you can live with the misinformation and still believe you are above reproach.

I have no issues with any inmates here. They may have with me it seems. Such is life... It's the internet get over it.

Feel free to call me out on anything, I won't get butt hurt or wadded panties... Call me a turd, whatever. Read my all my posts on this site I've made, I have nothing to hide...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #1532
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Nope. I have spent about 200 miles on one and will probably get one for my wife and son to ride around spring. I'm sure I'll have fun on it too.

I enjoyed the time I spent on the CRF250L. Have you enjoyed yours???
Yes, seems like it will do what I bought for very well. Unfortunately it has developed a slight intermittant coolant leak (looks like around the head gasket) and I am taking it in for the dealer to take a look at this morning. Let everyone know how that goes. - Update - turns out to be the temperature sensor needing to be tightned more. Kinda embarrising cause I checked to make sure fittings etc was tight - guess it needed to be tighter.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 11:37 AM
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #1533
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for taking the time to document your work with photographs, Lost Rider. I enjoyed seeing the inside of the engine.

Spud
You're welcome.

I'm hearing you Mental, this bike is bringing lots of new folks to ADVrider which is a good thing, and while I might not agree with you now and then I get the Mental tone and am looking forward to you getting your own LRP and adding to the pool of experience and knowledge around here from your ownership.
The amount of new riders on this bike is exactly the reason I took the time to do this little DIY thing, and presented it in the way I did. I hope to inspire people to do their own work on their new bikes and also have the complete information provided in the Honda service manual when they do so by not making it complete with torque values, etc.

Plus, the wine had kicked in by the end of the measurements and now I can go back and look to see how to actually put it back together!

ramz, you should really get over yourself, my information on this DIY is accurate and complete enough for what it is intended to be.
I generally spend more time actually riding than talking about it so I'm sorry my post wasn't up to your high standards of perfection, or if I made you feel Lost in confusion on the process, it's the best I could do with the time allowed.
Feel free to do your own valve adjustment DIY write up to ad to your little website and show us all how it should be done more accurately and comprehensively.

I have to go get this bike back together so we can go ride.

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 11:47 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #1534
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
LOST RIDER:
Remind Nancy..."make momentum your friend"
Were the individual shims labeled with a laser etched value? The big "coin" shims in my KLR were.

EVERYONE ELSE: Don't piss on others' contributions

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 09:47 AM
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #1535
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
First mod: longer bolt & nylon lined lock nut for the shifter, 70. Thanks Ramz.
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #1536
Lost Rider
Roadie

Thanks Ed, will do.

It looks to me like the shims are just stamped, not etched. I can barely read the 190 on the old shims now.
9 bucks a piece for new shims at my dealer.

Total cost for 600 mile service with two bottles of Motul 10w40, filter and shims, including a bottle of wine is under $50, the satisfaction of doing it yourself = priceless.

Back to work!

LostRider.com
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #1537
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Finally got the 43T installed after my buddy in my works machine shop took care of some business, raining too much to take her out for a spin to try it out at the moment. BTW, none of my local Honda dealers within a 100 miles radius have the rear sprocket bolts in stock, make sure to order some new ones before you do the job just in case shit happens like in my case.

On a personal note, the drama and hate in this forum boggles my mind at times... I come from a high performance car background where people spend more on turbo kits than these bikes cost and there are less ego's at play. In the grand scheme of things, all these bikes (KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Beta) are relatively cheap compared to any car you're ever going to buy, ride them, have fun, and stop caring so damn much.

Thanks for the post Lost, will surely help me out when I tackle this. Also thanks for Ramsey for his site, I reference it all the time. In the famous words of the deceased Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?!"
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #1538
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
LOST RIDER:
Remind Nancy..."make momentum your friend"
Were the individual shims labeled with a laser etched value? The big "coin" shims in my KLR were.

EVERYONE ELSE: Don't piss on others' contributions

Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #1539
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
.....On a personal note, the drama and hate in this forum boggles my mind at times...Thanks for the post Lost, will surely help me out when I tackle this. Also thanks for Ramsey for his site, I reference it all the time. In the famous words of the deceased Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?!"

No doubt - thank you Ramz and thank you Lost for your great info, as well as everyone else but "Can't we all just get along?!" ?

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #1540
Lost Rider
Roadie

The LRP is back together, I managed not to drop a shim down in the motor luckily.
I'll add the few things I did to get it back together or easier to the DIY post.... after I go ride!

LostRider.com
Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #1541
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks Ed, will do.

It looks to me like the shims are just stamped, not etched. I can barely read the 190 on the old shims now.
9 bucks a piece for new shims at my dealer.

Total cost for 600 mile service with two bottles of Motul 10w40, filter and shims, including a bottle of wine is under $50, the satisfaction of doing it yourself = priceless.

Back to work!
At Hondapartsnation they were 5.55
Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #1542
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

only on KTM prices!!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #1543
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by longslowdistance View Post
. . . but I didn't find it yet.

Should I buy this bike?

I've been riding motorcycles less than 3 years but thanks to lots of mountain bike experience I can read a trail surface pretty well. I have a BMW R1200 GS that gets lots of Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountain gravel road and buff double track miles with street tires, but it's pretty heavy and I've stayed away from slimy double tracks and most stream crossings. But I want to ride on slimy double tracks and stream crossings. Not an aggressive rider, and I have short legs - the GS can be a challenge with a 33 inch seat height. And I want a reliable bike that I can just ride, not work on.

Does the CRF250L fit the bill? Any alternatives? (I'm keeping the GS, of course) Thanks.
I bought one, I'm a new rider, I'm short and I'm not a aggressive rider. This bike is a great fit for me. I can't really speak for you but it does all the things you have mentioned. My husband lowered it with a kouba link and I am interested in the shorter seat that is in the works. I'm only 5'3 and on my toes. The bike is heavy to pick up. Luckily when I have dropped it I haven't been alone. Hope that helps....

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #1544
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
You're welcome.

I'm hearing you Mental, this bike is bringing lots of new folks to ADVrider which is a good thing, and while I might not agree with you now and then I get the Mental tone and am looking forward to you getting your own LRP and adding to the pool of experience and knowledge around here from your ownership.
The amount of new riders on this bike is exactly the reason I took the time to do this little DIY thing, and presented it in the way I did. I hope to inspire people to do their own work on their new bikes and also have the complete information provided in the Honda service manual when they do so by not making it complete with torque values, etc.

-Finn
Lost Rider,

About how long did it take to do the whole job, not counting running to the Honda shop. Thanks for the write up and pix, it helps.
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1545
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
only on KTM prices!!

I just couldn't resist posting that reply....