Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #1696
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
I did 13-48 had to flip the chain guide upside down to make it fit. Still ride it on highway too lol just a Lil slower than everyone else
Thanks for the reply.
What do you think of that gearing ?
What do you think your top "cruising speed" is ?
and if you were to do it again, would you choose the same ratio ?
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #1697
venman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Puzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
The spring will be a custom so what ever rate that is needed can be engineered. $135 for the spring, fits right on the shock with no adapters or mods needed. Can't help with duties and or shipping/tax fees but we do ship internationally frequently.
I expect that the stock spring works OK riding two up? We would suggest a spring rate that is 20% to 30% softer than stock.
What puzzles me Rick is that you say "I expect that the stock spring works OK riding two up?". I've always understood that a spring is as stiff at whatever level of compression (unless it's a progressive spring, which it isn't). I can't see the shock angle changing under compression on the CRF either (which would change the leverage). What am I missing here?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #1698
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Well this 67 year old guy just bought the CRF250L and really looking forward to riding it, will pick it up this Thursday or Friday when they get it assembled. I've been riding duel sport bikes for years, but this will be my first bike smaller then a 400 (DRZ400). After reading all the post in this post I'm still not sure what handguards and shifter I want to go with. I found the RFX Racing shifter out of the UK, but couldn't find one of the MSR or other ones sold here in the US. Plus which handguards have any of you found that fit the bike with the stock handbars, I seen pics of handguards on bikes, but no one explained how well they fit the bike. I'm pretty much past the all out days of riding and just need a few addons to complement the bike for safety and protection. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #1699
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Took a nasty spill the other day while out riding on the trails, got a little TOO confident, accelerated up a jump and landed in a rut, got sideways and spilled it, that 43T rear sure helps acceleration lol.... Bruised rib, hurt wrist, and my gopro split my damn lip through the helmet (mounted on my mouth guard, pushed through the damn thing).

The wife is pissed since she didn't want me to get the motorcycle in the first place, so I may be putting my bike up for sale soon depending on if I can fend her off or not. Luckily the bike is still great minus some scratched plastic on one fender. If anyone is interested, please let me know... 300 miles on her and tons of mods (i have a bad habit of modding).
Hard to let you know anything since you don't accept/receive messages.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #1700
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Is this the same fitting that is on the top of the CRF's valve cover that some of you are talking about removing the hose from? If so, why are you putting a filter on it instead of just plugging the fitting like BDSB's did on their website? Somebody explain to me what advantage one way has over the other. I'm trying to understand all this....just not the most mechanically minded person when it comes to stuff like this!
From my car background this is what I understand... you do not want to plug a crankcase breather due to the chance of blow by pressure building up in the system (which can happen from rings not sealing perfectly, valve seals, etc.). I ran a small K&N like crankcase filter that people usually put on hot rods, it fits right on top of the valve cover. I got a knock off from autozone for $9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Hard to let you know anything since you don't accept/receive messages.
Had no idea... fixed it.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #1701
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303

Bought and installed this http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/r...-5?pp=24&pp=24

Very light, yet rock solid. Easy to install, looks sharp, decent price, and Im willing to be its going to do its job when I accidentally get off the bike.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #1702
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
From my car background this is what I understand... you do not want to plug a crankcase breather due to the chance of blow by pressure building up in the system (which can happen from rings not sealing perfectly, valve seals, etc.). I ran a small K&N like crankcase filter that people usually put on hot rods, it fits right on top of the valve cover. I got a knock off from autozone for $9.

Sorry to say, but it's not crankcase vent here ... It is

The purpose being here to avoid fresh air in exhaust line, witch alllow backfires to occur, you'd better corck it completely if i'm not wrong

L

Krono screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 11:53 AM Reason: typo
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #1703
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Sorry to say, but it's not crankcase vent here ... It is

The purpose being here to avoid fresh air in exhaust line, witch alllow backfires to occur, you'd better corck it completely if i'm not wrong

L
Have you removed yours? It doesn't go anywhere near the exhaust, and definitely is not plumbed in it. If it was, I would have a huge exhaust leak as I removed the entire system... It is routed into the airbox.

EDIT: Actually, you may be correct, looking at the parts catalog it's called air injection system... the routing is probably inside the valve cover to the exhaust port... BUT I would think I would have a nasty exhaust leak if so, and I simply don't... Oh well, easy fix... PLUG IT.

Guerillah screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 12:57 PM Reason: i'm a dummy
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #1704
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
SPUD RIDER

THAT is by far the best tire change video I've seen! A very slick method to deal with the rim lock, and no struggles with the tire stem!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #1705
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
SPUD RIDER

THAT is by far the best tire change video I've seen! A very slick method to deal with the rim lock, and no struggles with the tire stem!

Spuds holding out on you... Here is an explanation/write up with eye candy....

http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=531

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #1706
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
SPUD RIDER

Thank you, Ed. I ride a lot of miles, and I flip my front tires every 2,000 miles to avoid cupping. Therefore, I change a lot of tires. I use the tire changing methods illustrated in the videos I posted, and they work exactly as demonstrated.

I no longer dread changing tires; I actually enjoy doing it. I don't cut myself. I don't hurt my hands or knees. I don't even get frustrated. Changing tires is very simple when one employs the proper techniques and the proper tools.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #1707
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

Go ahead. Steal my favorite link, Guru.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #1708
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you, Ed. I ride a lot of miles, and I flip my front tires every 2,000 miles to avoid cupping. Therefore, I change a lot of tires. I use the tire changing methods illustrated in the videos I posted, and they work exactly as demonstrated.

I no longer dread changing tires; I actually enjoy doing it. I don't cut myself. I don't hurt my hands or knees. I don't even get frustrated. Changing tires is very simple when one employs the proper techniques and the proper tools.

Spud
Thanks Spud,
Think I'm going to invest a few dollars in a stand and start changing them myself. Tired of paying someone to do what I can do myself.
Looking at this stand
http://www.mikesracingproducts.com/mrp_web_site_002.htm
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #1709
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

You're my new best friend!!!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #1710
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
A question for those of you who have purchased the Dobeck/EJK Fuel Controller sold by BestDualSportBikes.com ..... 13Moose-man, I'm looking at you.

Can you share the settings that the unit has on it's arrival? Are they different than the settings on the unit when purchased from EJK? For comparison the settings on the unit when purchased from EJK are: 3 3 6 5 4 4.5

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote