Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #1816
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I think that is a nice looking skid plate for the street, but off road you won't have any protection for your engine side cases. I would look into one with what I call ears on the sides of the skid plate.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #1817
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Something i want to share here : As dual-sport supposes you go from road to dirt and vice-versa, one of the first and most useful addition i made to my bike is an air-pump and a deflator, as you can see on the picture installed on the handelbar
I have 25km on tarmac to reach my offroad playground, thus by winding roads, so i prefer having the right tire pressure - for me it would be 20 psi, and 12 for dirt/mud.

The air pump is a 10$ M-bike manual pump. You will need around 150 pumps to go from 12 to 20 psi

The tyre-deflator is made by Staun, fully ajustable. I use them for my 4x4.
Unfortunately you can only get them in 4-pack, and they are not cheap.
http://www.stauntyredeflators.com.au/
But maybe there are some other brands ...

L

Krono screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 02:51 PM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #1818
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Something i want to share here : As dual-sport supposes you go from road to dirt and vice-versa, one of the first and most useful addition i made to my bike is an air-pump and a deflator, as you can see on the picture installed on the handelbar
I have 25km on tarmac to reach my offroad playground, thus by winding roads, so i prefer having the right tire pressure - for me it would be 20 psi, and 12 for dirt/mud.

The air pump is a 10$ M-bike manual pump. You will need around 150 pumps to go from 12 to 20 psi

The tyre-deflator is made by Staun, fully ajustable. I use them for my 4x4.
Unfortunately you can only get them in 4-pack, and they are not cheap.
http://www.stauntyredeflators.com.au/
But maybe there are some other brands ...

L
Great! Less weight is better. Some of us also ride bicycles, pumping for a while sure beats the added weight of a battery powered compressor. Good mounting point, I was going to put one on my rear rack, more likely to get toasted in a involuntary get off.
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #1819
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
range?

Hi,

I saw this bike with joy at the IM show and like everything except the tiny tank (2 gallons?) so I was wondering how big was the range and if anybody is already making a bigger tank. This and the WR250 are bikes I really like but the Yamaha is a lot expensive-er.

So what options if any are there for 3-5 gallon tanks? (I read the last 20 pages of this tread and could not find any info)

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #1820
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Spoke wrench size

Would anyone happen to know what size spoke wrench is needed. The so called "tool kit" that it came with didn't include a spoke wrench. Any thoughts on spoke torque wrenches, are they worth the money?

Thanks
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #1821
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Moose-man View Post
Would anyone happen to know what size spoke wrench is needed. The so called "tool kit" that it came with didn't include a spoke wrench. Any thoughts on spoke torque wrenches, are they worth the money?

Thanks
I own Motion Pro and OEM, Honda spoke wrenches. However, I also like my Tusk Spoke Wrench Set.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...k+spoke+wrench

Torque spoke wrenches are very expensive, and I don't trust them. When tightening spokes, I trust the feedback from my hand much more than I trust a torque wrench. As long as one applies common sense, it's very difficult to tighten a spoke too much.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1822
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
The fuel tank is 2.3 gals., at 70 mpg the tank is ok for me, but others on long off road rides may want a larger tank. I don't think you will see a 4.0-5.0 gal. tank for this bike, lucky if a aftermarket tank is 3.0 or 3.3 gals. I'm going to go with the RotopaX Fuel Tank and carry it on the rear rack on the bike, for my extra long rides where fuel could be a problem.
John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #1823
Fytclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Gps

Is there a decent GPS and mount that everyone is using?
Fytclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #1824
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fytclub View Post
Is there a decent GPS and mount that everyone is using?
The Garmin Montana is the most powerful GPS on the market today for adv riding, and the rugged mount is awesome too.

Lots of options and probably best to search the Layin Down Tracks forum.

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #1825
nbrooks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Chain

I put the 13T front sprocket on with the stock chain. I had to move the rear tire back to get the slack out of the chain. I'm wondering if there is a master link for the chain but I don't know what will work. I'd like to get the rear tire as far forward as I can and am wanting to remove a link, if that will work, using a master link. Will it work or do I need to look at a different chain?
nbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #1826
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrooks View Post
I put the 13T front sprocket on with the stock chain. I had to move the rear tire back to get the slack out of the chain. I'm wondering if there is a master link for the chain but I don't know what will work. I'd like to get the rear tire as far forward as I can and am wanting to remove a link, if that will work, using a master link. Will it work or do I need to look at a different chain?
Instead of buying a new chain or cutting yours, you can fit a 42t rear sprocket in conjuction with your 13t front sprocket, then keep the original chain. It would gives you a 11.6% reduction, witch is still managable on road, and really better on dirt.

You will also need an odometer corrector, such the DRDspeedo.
You can get all this there http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/290_293

Hope this helps

L
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #1827
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Instead of buying a new chain or cutting yours, you can fit a 42t rear sprocket in conjuction with your 13t front sprocket, then keep the original chain. It would gives you a 11.6% reduction, witch is still managable on road, and really better on dirt.

You will also need an odometer corrector, such the DRDspeedo.
You can get all this there http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/290_293

Hope this helps

L

+1 I run the 13/42 combination with the stock chain and I find it to be reasonable off road. And since the front sprocket is so easy to change, I also bought a 12t for the times when I temporarily need to ride knarley off road (haven't tried it yet though) -

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 05:13 AM
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #1828
Road Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks JR.

Fell off and messed-up some ribs so haven't been riding. Will get at the valve adjustment soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNASTY View Post
I was wondering the same and found it over here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=valve&page=9

Per the Service Manual

Valve Clearance
Index line IN - 0.16 +/- 0.03 mm (0.006 +/- 0.001 in)
Index Line EX - 0.27 +/- 0.03 mm (0.011 +/- 0.001 in)

So my question, Anyone know a replacement folding shift lever and brake lever?
Road Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #1829
AZDavis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Chain

MBrooks,

Why are you wanting to move the rear tire as far forward as possible? I just fitted the 13T sprocket over New Years but am a bit hesitant to do the 42T rear after reading all the trouble guys have had removing the stock 40T. I adjusted the rear wheel back 7-8mm to nearly the end of adjustment but have no chain slap. Is there some other advantage to moving the rear tire forward? You may notice that I am a legitimate Noob. Sorry if this is a silly question but i found myself wondering about the adjustment myself just 2 nights ago. Regards,
AZDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #1830
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Looks good... yeah lots of snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
We have 20" of snow on the ground here in WI. So our bikes are in the basement for a bit. Merry Christmas to me.
I found some Aerostich Tank Panniers under the tree.

For $3 at the local hardware store I procured some front attachment points:

I think they will ride there just fine but need more road testing,,,,

And now it is just damn cold here in Wisconsin too... My bike is in the garage hooked to a battery tender up in Portage
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote