Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #1906
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,852
Anybody carry a pillion on one of these?

I'm thinking of one for the trails in the New Territories but I'll also be carrying the wife on the back at times.

I weigh about 170 lbs, the wife about 140 lbs.

Regards

R
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #1907
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
I just did too - he might be down to 2 now....
Ordered mine tonight.

Next question.
I plan to take the bike into the shop for it's first service. Should I wait to put the goodies on after the service? Will the shop have issues with the stage I performance package?
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #1908
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Not that I'm offering because I don't ship to Canada.(PITA)

I have shipped to a UPS store near the border for pick-up from a Canadian buyer. Just have them shipped to an inmates place for pickup, a UPS store or to have shipping across the border.

Set-up a group buy so the US shipping is free and work out the border crossing/shipping from there.

They are cheap enough that it is well worth the effort.

Just a random thought....

After I ordered them, I learned that nothing will fit on them. I suppose I should have researched first. But, for $47.00 shipped. I'm sure I can find something that will work for handguards and still be in it for less than a ProTaper, which, by the way, I really like and have on other bikes. No big deal. Just another chance to excel.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #1909
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
After I ordered them, I learned that nothing will fit on them. I suppose I should have researched first. But, for $47.00 shipped. I'm sure I can find something that will work for handguards and still be in it for less than a ProTaper, which, by the way, I really like and have on other bikes. No big deal. Just another chance to excel.
Hummmm.....what do you mean nothing will fit on them?
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #1910
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
Hummmm.....what do you mean nothing will fit on them?
From a few things I've read on here. Unless I totally got it wrong, Cycra's won't fit, GPS mounts won't fit. Apparently it must be an odd thickness bar. I hope I'm wrong. My bar should be in Monday. Keep in mind, it's just my quick reading of a couple posts. I could be completely off base. Sometimes I go through this stuff pretty quick.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #1911
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
From a few things I've read on here. Unless I totally got it wrong, Cycra's won't fit, GPS mounts won't fit. Apparently it must be an odd thickness bar. I hope I'm wrong. My bar should be in Monday. Keep in mind, it's just my quick reading of a couple posts. I could be completely off base. Sometimes I go through this stuff pretty quick.

All your controls will fit fine. Mounting a GPS is not a problem for most people since there are many different ways to mount them.

You just have to smarter then a 1st grader.

Use these Cycra inner mounts, Zeta and other make them also. I decided to buy Cycra Pro Bend Triple hand guard front mounts P/N# 165502. My Acerbis Super Moto handguard inserts fit in the bars fine

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/CY...LE-CLAMP-MOUNT or http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

ramz just bought a set of Easton EXP bars for his CRFL and uses them on his WRR also. If you don't believe me ask him...

http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#hbar

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #1912
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
I see you're all adding some stuff to your bike, when im trying to remove as much weight as i can
She's now 128kg w/o fuel (282 pounds)

Last episode was battery : after seeing Ramz's blog, I inquired about the Shorai batteries.
I've also seen other brands like Antigravity, who advise the 4 cells for a 250cc.

All things considered (cheap way), I decided to make myself a 4 cell A123 battery, like in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E

I bought 4 of these 7.99$ each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16575

Ended with a 12 ounces unit (instead 88 for stock)

... and the engine cranked up right at first try !

L

>>DISCLAIMER<<
-------------------------
- Don't do that unless you know exactly how and what you're doing ...
- ... and take all responsabilities for risks or damages related on assembly and use of a DIY Lithium battery.
- Otherwise, buy a finished/garanteed product intended for such a use like Shorai, Antigravity, Earth-X, Ballistic ... you will be happy with it.

Krono screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 02:10 PM Reason: Add disclaimer
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #1913
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I see you're all adding some stuff to your bike, when im trying to remove as much weight as i can

Last episode was battery : after seeing Ramz's blog, I inquired about the Shorai batteries.
I've also seen other brands like Antigravity, who advise the 4 cells for a 250cc.

All things considered (cheap way), I decided to make myself a 4 cell A123 battery, like in this video.

L
Very clever....but that prompts a silly question...does the CRF even have a kick starter if your home made battery dies?
My son used those kind of rechargeables in his RC cars, and they were quite unreliable, and very sensitive to the voltage balance between cells.
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #1914
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:

L
Slick!
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #1915
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Very clever....but that prompts a silly question...does the CRF even have a kick starter if your home made battery dies?
My son used those kind of rechargeables in his RC cars, and they were quite unreliable, and very sensitive to the voltage balance between cells.
These are not specifically RC batteries, but LiFE , otherwise called Lithium-Ion that you can find in the DeWalt tools for instance. They are far more reliable and durable than lead batteries.

Altrough I soldered also a balancing plug, this is not needed with this kind of accus.

L
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #1916
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
These are not specifically RC batteries, but LiFE , otherwise called Lithium-Ion that you can find in the DeWalt tools for instance. They are far more reliable and durable than lead batteries.
L
The RC bateries I mentioned were NiCad, not LiFE or Li-Ion...which I thought were different...I could be wrong.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #1917
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The RC bateries I mentioned were NiCad, not LiFE or Li-Ion...which I thought were different...I could be wrong.
I have a couple of Park Zone RC toys that use Li Polymer rechargeable batteries that weigh almost nothing, but I think those are a different animal to Li Ion.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #1918
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I have a couple of Park Zone RC toys that use Li Polymer rechargeable batteries that weigh almost nothing, but I think those are a different animal to Li Ion.
Learn here ---> http://batteryuniversity.com/index.p...er_lithium_ion

LiPo are the lighter kind, but cannot be recharged without a suited charger, and are prone to burn if too highly charged/discharged.
Those Li-Ion are more safe (shielded) and accept high charge/discharge, then you can use them not only in remote controlled vehicles.

I suppose the same components i choosed are also used in batteries like this one

L

Krono screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:20 AM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #1919
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

KRONO: Amazing resource.....
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #1920
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
KRONO: Amazing resource.....
Also, $32, plus misc. wire, and connectors, glue gun sticks, maybe an hour and a half labor, compared to Anti Gravity $119.99 for the 4-cell. KRONO, I'm assuming from your location you get a lot of cold weather, as would Ramz in Colorado. From what I've researched, cold conditions are not an ideal use this battery type (Shori & Anti Gravity, & Turntech same type?). Brief ride here today, 42 degrees when I went by the bank around noon.