Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #1936
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I've ridden with Nancy on the back once, seemed like it would be fine with enough room for us, we're just a little smaller than you. Would get tight if you were trying to carry camping gear too. As long as 70mpg sustained highways speeds weren't needed I don't see why not... 55 mph country road cruising would be fine.
Thanks. I'd be riding mainly in the hills round Hong Kong and the New Territories. Road and trail. Maybe the odd short highway run 30 miles or so to get where I was planning to ride. No camping gear unless I'm riding solo.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #1937
gregitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Honda CRF-250-L Stage One Performance Kit

STAGE ONE PERFORMANCE KIT FOR CRF 250 L

I recently purchased this kit from http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...honda-crf250l/.

I chose the FMF Q-4 Exhaust and Megabomb Header. The kit also comes with a FMF Fuel Programmer and 13 tooth front sprocket. The fuel box is already programmed from the factory to match this pipe setup, but you can tweak it if necessary.

The Exhaust system fit perfectly. I like the fact that the rear side cover can still be installed to cover the exhaust and the turn signals do not have to be relocated. The fuel box plugged in easily as well....the engine fired right up and ran perfectly. With the stock 14 sprocket it was like a different Bike! Lots more acceleration, especially in the higher RPM range. Top end is improved as well.

After installing the 13 tooth sprocket, THE FUN BEGAN! It races through the gears and accelerates strongly. You have passing power in 6th gear and top end is higher. With the 13, the speedo as way off. With my heavy ass and wide body it showed 145+ KPH, but the GPS showed 123+KPH. It does 80 MPH easily and that is good enough for me...I appreciate the improved acceleration. Others say it will go lots faster. Guess it depends on one”s weight, altitude, fuel and other factors. I think with some more air box mods it will do better. The higher revs with the 13 tooth works very well with the FMF design and fuel programmer and provides the most dramatic results.

I think the 13 tooth is perfect for off road and mountain riding that I do here in Thailand. Some may prefer the 14 for long road trips.

I drilled holes in the air box cover and took off the metal filter screen as directed..it did make a positive difference. I have not cut out the top of the air box yet, but will soon. I also have not removed the pare valve. The engine seems to run the same with the 0-2 sensor plugged in or out. The Best Dual Sports bike guy thinks it works better unplugged and I am testing it now to see.

‘Future Man” at Best Dual Sports Bikes is a great guy to purchase from. He responds to E-mails and answers "after purchase" questions. The folks where the Fuel Box is made provide great service as well and I recommend them highly. He also ships USPS and work with you on custom values if you ship internationally which will save you money.

I am happy with my set up because it is “bolt on” without having to program something and it works well without major mods like new, cams, larger throttle bodies etc. I wonder sometimes if I should have purchased the FMF Power Core Muffler since it has more power (low end) and is a little less expensive (louder though!). The Q-4 is plenty loud though when the throttle is cracked on and purrs nicely at cruising speed and I think the performance is good.... it just takes higher revs to get it.

If there are negatives I guess one would be that I burned a hole through my best jeans the first day! (FMF does not include a heat shield). I was able to modify my old heat shield however, and it looks ok. If you want a fancy one, there are some on E-Bay. Of course, more power means less mileage. With my riding style I dropped 5-6 Kilometers per liter estimated with the stock sprocket....haven’t measured the 13 tooth mileage yet, but it may be close to the same. (Of course, when you have more power, one tends to crank it on more..the fun factor sets in!).

I am not a professional, but I do ride lots....so this review is subjective and reflects my honest opinions without any skin in the game.. Riding for me is Fun and this setup makes that Honda CRF 250 L More Fun!
gregitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #1938
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygeezer View Post
What are you guys getting for gas mileage ?
Before the 13T, doing medium trails and minor pavement was actaully getting around 70mpg.
Since the 13T, it dropped down a bit, running around 60mpg in last couple of tanks. Don't do much road traveling, have a different bike for that
No other mods at the moment
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #1939
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregitt View Post
STAGE ONE PERFORMANCE KIT FOR CRF 250 L

I recently purchased this kit from http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...honda-crf250l/.

I chose the FMF Q-4 Exhaust and Megabomb Header. The kit also comes with a FMF Fuel Programmer and 13 tooth front sprocket. The fuel box is already programmed from the factory to match this pipe setup, but you can tweak it if necessary.

The Exhaust system fit perfectly. I like the fact that the rear side cover can still be installed to cover the exhaust and the turn signals do not have to be relocated. The fuel box plugged in easily as well....the engine fired right up and ran perfectly. With the stock 14 sprocket it was like a different Bike! Lots more acceleration, especially in the higher RPM range. Top end is improved as well.

After installing the 13 tooth sprocket, THE FUN BEGAN! It races through the gears and accelerates strongly. You have passing power in 6th gear and top end is higher. With the 13, the speedo as way off. With my heavy ass and wide body it showed 145+ KPH, but the GPS showed 123+KPH. It does 80 MPH easily and that is good enough for me...I appreciate the improved acceleration. Others say it will go lots faster. Guess it depends on one”s weight, altitude, fuel and other factors. I think with some more air box mods it will do better. The higher revs with the 13 tooth works very well with the FMF design and fuel programmer and provides the most dramatic results.

I think the 13 tooth is perfect for off road and mountain riding that I do here in Thailand. Some may prefer the 14 for long road trips.

I drilled holes in the air box cover and took off the metal filter screen as directed..it did make a positive difference. I have not cut out the top of the air box yet, but will soon. I also have not removed the pare valve. The engine seems to run the same with the 0-2 sensor plugged in or out. The Best Dual Sports bike guy thinks it works better unplugged and I am testing it now to see.

‘Future Man” at Best Dual Sports Bikes is a great guy to purchase from. He responds to E-mails and answers "after purchase" questions. The folks where the Fuel Box is made provide great service as well and I recommend them highly. He also ships USPS and work with you on custom values if you ship internationally which will save you money.

I am happy with my set up because it is “bolt on” without having to program something and it works well without major mods like new, cams, larger throttle bodies etc. I wonder sometimes if I should have purchased the FMF Power Core Muffler since it has more power (low end) and is a little less expensive (louder though!). The Q-4 is plenty loud though when the throttle is cracked on and purrs nicely at cruising speed and I think the performance is good.... it just takes higher revs to get it.

If there are negatives I guess one would be that I burned a hole through my best jeans the first day! (FMF does not include a heat shield). I was able to modify my old heat shield however, and it looks ok. If you want a fancy one, there are some on E-Bay. Of course, more power means less mileage. With my riding style I dropped 5-6 Kilometers per liter estimated with the stock sprocket....haven’t measured the 13 tooth mileage yet, but it may be close to the same. (Of course, when you have more power, one tends to crank it on more..the fun factor sets in!).

I am not a professional, but I do ride lots....so this review is subjective and reflects my honest opinions without any skin in the game.. Riding for me is Fun and this setup makes that Honda CRF 250 L More Fun!
Thanks for the report. I enjoy hearing from actual users! Nice to know this purchase makes a difference.

I have the 13T (installed)

I have the Q4, (picked up at a discount) not installed as of yet.
Got the FIP for Christmas from my wife, she purchased it from BDSB, She loves me

Need to order the Megabomb pipe next week from BDSB

That should complete that portion of the mods.
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #1940
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
FMF Megabomb header

If you have the Megabomb header on your bike, have you had any problem with it burning your pants/boots/etc. since there is no heatshield on the pipe? Just wondering as it looks like a lot of pipe riding really close to your leg. Are there any options out there yet for a heatshield for the CRF250L Megabomb header or is it even necessary?
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #1941
miles44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I just got my lrp 2 weeks ago and so far am loving it! After reading all the posts on this thread i found the decision easy. I do have on question though. Right now i am using the bike mainly for my weekly commute to work he in Los Angeles and as my first bike I am concerned with its handling at freeway speeds. When i get it up between 70 n 80 the front of the bike shakes quite bad. To the point its kinda scary. Was wondering if this is a common attribute for a dual sport bike of this size. Other than that i am more than happy with the bike. Can't wait to get up to the mountains and do some trails. :)
miles44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #1942
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles44 View Post
I just got my lrp 2 weeks ago and so far am loving it! After reading all the posts on this thread i found the decision easy. I do have on question though. Right now i am using the bike mainly for my weekly commute to work he in Los Angeles and as my first bike I am concerned with its handling at freeway speeds. When i get it up between 70 n 80 the front of the bike shakes quite bad. To the point its kinda scary. Was wondering if this is a common attribute for a dual sport bike of this size. Other than that i am more than happy with the bike. Can't wait to get up to the mountains and do some trails. :)
Yes, it has much to do with the tires and also the suspension. I am new to this too and have been reading on it for some time now. Less aggressive tires help but will not eliminate it + you will loose in the dirt. Mine likes 70 and not much more before it becomes disconcerting. If you want higher speeds with less wobble get more street rated tires and change out the drive sprocket to 13 teeth It sounds like.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #1943
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Right now i am using the bike mainly for my weekly commute to work he in Los Angeles and as my first bike I am concerned with its handling at freeway speeds. Other than that i am more than happy with the bike. Can't wait to get up to the mountains and do some trails. :)

Welcome to ADVrider!

The head shake at speeds is common on a DS bike, and yes what kind of tires and their pressure you have on will effect it. You can change tires and take away from your dirt riding traction, or you can get a Scott's steering damper. The damper will greatly reduce that headshake on the highway and improve the performance off tarmac greatly also. They are not out yet for our LRP's, but should be available any time. No affiliation with Scott's here, just a very happy customer that's been running them for a while on other bikes.

http://www.scottsonline.com/scotts.php

Also, if you're looking for folks to get dirty with, check out this thread, Rohwer is a good place to ride and there's usually someone you can hook up with. If you ever make it up near Ventura you can hit me up, I know some neat places to ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525506

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 12:17 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #1944
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Welcome to ADVrider!

The head shake at speeds is common on a DS bike, and yes what kind of tires you have on will effect it. You can change tires and take away from your dirt riding traction, or you can get a Scott's steering damper. The damper will greatly reduce/eliminate that headshake on the highway and improve the performance off-tarmac even more. You'll be amazed the first time you hit a softball sized rock or deep sand and just keep going straight. They are not out yet for our LRP's, but should be available any time. No affiliation with Scott's here, just a very happy customer that's been running them for a while on other bikes.

After your earlier post about a steering damper, I looked into it, and it will be on the list of things to do. Handling is more important than extra power for me. Extra power just means I crash faster.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #1945
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
After your earlier post about a steering damper, I looked into it, and it will be on the list of things to do. Handling is more important than extra power for me. Extra power just means I crash faster.

Right on!

Think of a steering damper as an anti crash add on, I know mine has saved me countless times when hitting those sneaky big rocks that jump out at you, or when stuck riding hundreds of miles of sand whoops.

LostRider.com
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1946
miles44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the info guys :) Im also more interested in handling over speed. I will pro start out with different, more street oriented, tires. The steering damper looks good but a bit too $ for me right now. Maybe when it comes available for the 250l i will be able to afford it lol. But i would love to have some insight on some good trails to ride. Was planning on heading up the coast soon. Will pro take you up on that offer lost rider :)
miles44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #1947
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Welcome to ADVrider!

The head shake at speeds is common on a DS bike, and yes what kind of tires and their pressure you have on will effect it. You can change tires and take away from your dirt riding traction, or you can get a Scott's steering damper. The damper will greatly reduce that headshake on the highway and improve the performance off tarmac greatly also. They are not out yet for our LRP's, but should be available any time. No affiliation with Scott's here, just a very happy customer that's been running them for a while on other bikes.

Also, if you're looking for folks to get dirty with, check out this thread, Rohwer is a good place to ride and there's usually someone you can hook up with. If you ever make it up near Ventura you can hit me up, I know some neat places to ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525506
I also looked into it from you earlier post. Looks like they didn't make their Christmas time-frame but I'm patient. From your past experience, what kind of $ range are these SD's? Also, have you ever found and exhaust replacement that isn't so loud as the FMF? I have about 2500 on mine now and am looking for tires here soon. I do about 70% on road for commute and then trail and double track/logging roads up here in Washington. Any suggestions as I am also new to this endeavor and zero experience with parts replacement yet?

***EDIT***

I found the prices on their site for the steering stabilizers. Looks to be in the $400 range give or take. Not to bad considering what you get. I imagine money well spent.

DirtyBlackIrish screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 01:08 PM
DirtyBlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #1948
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
I also looked into it from you earlier post. Looks like they didn't make their Christmas time-frame but I'm patient. From your past experience, what kind of $ range are these SD's? Also, have you ever found and exhaust replacement that isn't so loud as the FMF? I have about 2500 on mine now and am looking for tires here soon. I do about 70% on road for commute and then trail and double track/logging roads up here in Washington. Any suggestions as I am also new to this endeavor and zero experience with parts replacement yet?
I think the Scott's is about $450, won't know for sure until they release it but with the type of mount they will be using that price should be close.

As for tires, I have a different way of looking at it...

lets say a DS tire, for example a Shinko 705 is considered a 80/20 tire. Most people would say it's a 80% road, 20% dirt tire.
I don't see it as a representation of percentages of how much time/miles you'lI spend on either terrain. I see those numbers as representing it's 80% as good as a full street tire and 20% as good as a full race knobby on their respective terrains.
I would rate the OEM LRP tires as 70/30 tires, OK on street, so-so on dirt, better than a Battlewing, Shinko 705, TKC-80, Tourance, etc. on dirt but not as good off tarmac as a D606, or a Pirelli Rally Pro, or a Mitas e09.

Tires are so subjective it's hard to really say what's best for you, I ride mostly in dry, rocky terrain with very little mud. You probably have more dirt and mud where as I have more rocks and sand.
You have to decide if you want the best traction for your off tarmac adventure and deal with the pavement shortcomings and faster wear, or get a better commuting tire that will last longer but suck more in dirt and be horrible in mud.

Personally, on a DS bike I go with better tires for off road, one saved crash and not getting injured when off tarmac is worth the extra cost of running more dirt orientated DS and riding them on pavement. But I also don't ride in wet weather much around here and have multiple bike with different tires so that's also something to consider for your location, knobby tires are not good on wet tarmac and take a little extra care to ride safely with.

If I had to recommend tires it would be a set of D606's if you want much better dirt traction and more than adequate (dry) tarmac handling, they are the best all around DS tire IMO, works well in everything around the country in my travels . If you wanted a good, cheap, long lasting DS tire geared more towards street it would be a Shinko 705 from my experience. They wear like iron.

You can run a D606 front with a 705 rear for a good compromise too. Done that many times on my GS.

The other option would be to get a set of each and a set of tire irons and swap out tires for respective rides. Not only will you save money, but in short time you'll be very fast at swapping them and have the skills needed to fix a flat trailside...

Or run a combo with knobby front and DS rear and just swap the rear when you want to play in the dirt.

Lots of options, and only you can decide what you want.... then try something else next time and so on and so on and so on.

Getting one of these is a wise investment too for anyone and makes changing tires trailside easier. Like crashing a bike, it's when, not if you'll get a flat someday...

http://www.endurostar.com

Good luck!

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 01:23 PM
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #1949
GaryHarris
I bent my Flounder

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I see you're all adding some stuff to your bike, when im trying to remove as much weight as i can
She's now 128kg w/o fuel (282 pounds)

Last episode was battery : after seeing Ramz's blog, I inquired about the Shorai batteries.
I've also seen other brands like Antigravity, who advise the 4 cells for a 250cc.

All things considered (cheap way), I decided to make myself a 4 cell A123 battery, like in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E

I bought 4 of these 7.99$ each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16575

Ended with a 12 ounces unit (instead 88 for stock)

... and the engine cranked up right at first try !

L
Sorry to interrupt, but those won't last on a bike. Too much amp draw and they aren't designed for a continuous charge. They might work for awhile, but I wouldn't use them and I have been into RC for over 20 years.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #1950
Rad_Leo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
I live in Santa Clarita and ride my LRP in rowher flats weekly (3 times this week). Send me a message and we'll shred some time.
Rad_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote