Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #1951
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles44 View Post
I just got my lrp 2 weeks ago and so far am loving it! After reading all the posts on this thread i found the decision easy. I do have on question though. Right now i am using the bike mainly for my weekly commute to work he in Los Angeles and as my first bike I am concerned with its handling at freeway speeds. When i get it up between 70 n 80 the front of the bike shakes quite bad. To the point its kinda scary. Was wondering if this is a common attribute for a dual sport bike of this size. Other than that i am more than happy with the bike. Can't wait to get up to the mountains and do some trails. :)
sure sounds like under inflated tire, out of balance tire, loose axle, loose fork legs in the triple clamps, or loose stem bearings in the triple clamps. Poke around on the web for videos or whatever to learn how to check these things. It'll be very handy to have a helper to hold things, and a work stand to put under the skid plate. Most magazine road tests say the CRF is very good at speed without headshake....so what you are experiencing is absolutely abnormal.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #1952
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 267
80 mph + LRP = not a good mix

I can see running the LRP occasionally at high speed, but commuting routinely at 70-80 mph, is asking a bit much of a 250 single. Obviously, the little Honda will do it, but I would suggest a more street oriented 2, 3 or 4 cylinder 500 cc + bike.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #1953
Rad_Leo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Photos

Been following this thread for a while now. Proud owner of the LRP since early November. This is my first attempt at posting pictures, so I hope it works.

Rad_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #1954
Rad_Leo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
That was relatively easy, so here are two more for the night

Rad_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #1955
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Leo View Post
Been following this thread for a while now. Proud owner of the LRP since early November. This is my first attempt at posting pictures, so I hope it works.

Nice pics!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #1956
miles44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I can see running the LRP occasionally at high speed, but commuting routinely at 70-80 mph, is asking a bit much of a 250 single. Obviously, the little Honda will do it, but I would suggest a more street oriented 2, 3 or 4 cylinder 500 cc + bike.

Yeah sounds true. Should pro stick to the side streets when commuting (so easy to do here in LA). But still feel uneasy about the whole headshake thing. Want to make sure its not a pro with my bike you know. :)
miles44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #1957
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHarris View Post
Sorry to interrupt, but those won't last on a bike. Too much amp draw and they aren't designed for a continuous charge. They might work for awhile, but I wouldn't use them and I have been into RC for over 20 years.
Thank's for your reply, Gary

As i know i can dischage them at 30C (70A) with 10sec burst at 60C (2.3 x 60 = 138A), that may be enough here.
What i dont know, is if (like you say), they can handle continuous charging.
But that let me optimistic --> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=28

Although this little bike is perfect for me in both city and countryside, it's a bit on the heavy side to when comes tricky off-road, i must admit.
Anyway, i'd rather stick with her instead going the expensive/high maintenance KTM's way, so i try all i can to make her more managable for me when offroading, still keeping his daily-driver functionality.

If i cant ... i'll go straight to a 2 stroker, he he !

L
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #1958
gregitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
If you have the Megabomb header on your bike, have you had any problem with it burning your pants/boots/etc. since there is no heatshield on the pipe? Just wondering as it looks like a lot of pipe riding really close to your leg. Are there any options out there yet for a heatshield for the CRF250L Megabomb header or is it even necessary?
I thought I mentioned, I burned a hole in my jeans the first day! I was able to take off the old Heat Shield and use it by making a bracket out of steel similar to the existing one and purchasing a clamp, screw and nut for the new clamp. I have photos of the process, but I guess I have to learn to use photobucket or something to post pics here. You can also purchase a carbon heat shield from E-Bay ($130) and another cheaper one (not too good). for less than $20.00. If I can figure out how to put my photos on a site, I will post them.....FREE is ok!

gregitt screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 03:11 AM Reason: add photos
gregitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #1959
Brandon805
Get the camera

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Also, if you're looking for folks to get dirty with, check out this thread, Rohwer is a good place to ride and there's usually someone you can hook up with. If you ever make it up near Ventura you can hit me up, I know some neat places to ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525506

Hey Lost,

I'm out in Thousand Oaks and ride to Ventura for fun fairly frequently. I'd be pretty interested in finding some nice places to go

Brandon
Brandon805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #1960
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
sure sounds like under inflated tire, out of balance tire, loose axle, loose fork legs in the triple clamps, or loose stem bearings in the triple clamps. Poke around on the web for videos or whatever to learn how to check these things. It'll be very handy to have a helper to hold things, and a work stand to put under the skid plate. Most magazine road tests say the CRF is very good at speed without headshake....so what you are experiencing is absolutely abnormal.

I don't know, while it's possible and those are all logical things to check, I know our LRP is setup correctly and at 70-80 it gets shaky. Not much shake under 70 at all with no wind and perfect tarmac, but when going above 70 it's different. On grooved or rougher roads I still get some wobble at anything over 50, that's something a damper would help with. But also I have balanced my wheels. I think "very good at speed" is subjective, and without more specifics we just don't know how fast that actually means.
While commuting on freeways in LA is possible it can't be what the designers at Honda had in mind when they made this bike.
If he gets a lots of shake or wobble under 70 I would be sure it's setup correctly, but asking this bike with the OEM tires to be stable at 80mph might be asking too much, or the fellow just isn't used to the "looser" ride one gets on a small DS bike with kind of knobby tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Leo View Post

Nice photo Rad! That place looks familiar...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #1961
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Just wondering, do motorcycle tires have speed rating like car tires, or if they are DOT approved, is that for a set speed. I would think that each tire would have a speed rating set by the mfg.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #1962
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Just wondering, do motorcycle tires have speed rating like car tires, or if they are DOT approved, is that for a set speed. I would think that each tire would have a speed rating set by the mfg.

John

Yes they are load and speed rated.
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1963
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregitt View Post
I thought I mentioned, I burned a hole in my jeans the first day! I was able to take off the old Heat Shield and use it by making a bracket out of steel similar to the existing one and purchasing a clamp, screw and nut for the new clamp. I have photos of the process, but I guess I have to learn to use photobucket or something to post pics here. You can also purchase a carbon heat shield from E-Bay ($130) and another cheaper one (not too good). for less than $20.00. If I can figure out how to put my photos on a site, I will post them.....FREE is ok!

Nicely done!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #1964
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Nicely done!
I second that!! i melted my northface ski pants the other day on a cold ride.. might be fabbing up one of these for my MEGABOMB.

thanks for sharing.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #1965
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

does anyone know if the mega bomb header works with the stock muffler?