ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #2056
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DirtyBlackIrish's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ply318ci View Post
In case you guys are interested in new foot pegs the IMS Super stock and Pro-Series foot pegs for the CRF450R (02-08) will fit the 250L. They are part numbers 272219 for the Super Stock and 292220-4 (5/8" back) and 292219-4 (normal) for the Pro-Series. Just installed the Pro-series on a 250L and they look great and add more grip due to the larger teeth. The right side peg had thicker powder coating on the bolt hole so that had to be cleaned out but over all a nice fit. I will try to get pics up later.
Look nice. Pro series is an interesting idea. Might be more comfy with my shitty knees?
__________________
Semper Fidelis
DirtyBlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #2057
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DirtyBlackIrish's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus17 View Post
Hello everybody,

I am interested in riding a CRF250L and will try one as soon as possible. The reason for my interest is having a much lighter (and less powerful) bike than my current or previous bikes : VFR800, Sprint ST 955, BMW R1150R, But I am really short at 5'4'' and I would like to know if any of you is as short as myself but still can manage a CRF250L ? Thanks in advance.
There are also some things you can do to lower it more. Spendy of course but just an FYI.

http://japan.webike.net/products/20398952.html

http://japan.webike.net/products/20695715.html
__________________
Semper Fidelis
DirtyBlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #2058
foxbrook
Adventurer
 
foxbrook's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
There are also some things you can do to lower it more. Spendy of course but just an FYI.

http://japan.webike.net/products/20398952.html

http://japan.webike.net/products/20695715.html
That is spendy, I think with the kouba link in mine it's low enough for me to manage it better. I could always get the seat "shaved" but I don't like the idea of ruining my OEM seat just in case I decide to sell it. The way it sits now after bob80 installed the lowering link and lowered the front forks, I wouldn't want to lose much more clearance. And I'm 5'4 on a good day
I think my biggest problem was I'm used to the street bike and when coming to a stop on the CRF I sometimes forgot how tall it was and dumped it a couple times. I just have to watch where I park lol
__________________
2013 CRF250L
1985 Yamaha (XJ750) Maxim "X"

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #2059
Bob80
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post

Fuel additives that are used by any number of wholesalers can certainly change the quality of the fuel and potentially it's octane rating. What you see labeled on the pump may not always be accurate regardless of laws. I combat this as much as possible by getting my fuel at larger chain recognized fuel suppliers when ever realistic. Sometimes it's just not possible. I have only had one bad fuel experience so far on the bike and it was extremely noticeable. I stopped as soon as possible and siphoned it into a can bought at another fuel station and refilled. I was very thankful for the small tank at that point, hahahaha. I immediately noticed the difference when getting back underway.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.
Do you happen to remember the octane level/grade of the "bad" fuel you experienced? And could you explain the symptoms that you noticed?
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
. The trip I took to Nova Scotia a few years back, 20/20 hindsight, I would have brought toluene to override the turd who pumped regular into my (not a CRFL) bike at the time which needed 91 octane. My bike ran like crap, and spoiled the Cabot Trail ride.
Hummm........A visitor who noticed shitty gas in Nova Scotia??...this is kind of ironic, seeing that's where I'm from..It didn't happen to be Irving by any chance, I try to avoid it as much as possible (only by other peoples opinions, and bad experiences with it myself, in various different vehicles) They pretty much control the fuel distribution in these parts...Hope it didn't ruin your Cabot trail experience too bad
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #2060
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Do you happen to remember the octane level/grade of the "bad" fuel you experienced? And could you explain the symptoms that you noticed?
Thx


Hummm........A visitor who noticed shitty gas in Nova Scotia??...this is kind of ironic, seeing that's where I'm from..It didn't happen to be Irving by any chance, I try to avoid it as much as possible (only by other peoples opinions, and bad experiences with it myself, in various different vehicles) They pretty much control the fuel distribution in these parts...Hope it didn't ruin your Cabot trail experience too bad
Can't remember the name of it, the guy says, "Oh yeah, you need high test", and hands me the filler, my fault for not checking, I guess. Around the half way point, we asked if there was gas up ahead, and she said yes, turned out to be only regular (87 octane). Not a problem for my daughter's ER6-N, but mine needed 91. Beautiful riding place, my Grandfather grew up in NB, and my Grandmother grew up in PEI. We took the ferry over to the island on the way back, and came back on the bridge. I would love to get up there again, with the LRP, no problems with 87 then. Took a wrong turn in Cape Breton, and ended up at the ferry to Newfoundland. Isn't getting lost great!
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #2061
topping
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Oddometer: 19
CRf250L Problem

I got the CRF back today the problem was water in the ecu connector that shorted out the ignition circuit. The ignition barrel has been replaced under guarantee and all is good to go. I got my HDB handguards too so i will post a pic up when its all fitted.
__________________
Honda CRF250L
topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #2062
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 397
Tnutt, I saw you asked about the skid plate, I ordered the Flatland Racing Skid Plate from CRF's Only. It's $91.15 plus shipping. Reason for buying this plate was I liked the looks and a buddy of mine has one on his WR250R and it looks very nice, that sold me. As far as handguards, I went with the Tusk D-Flex sold by Rocky Mountain ATV-MC, $54.95 plus shipping. I have used these handguards on several bikes, including KLR's and DRZ's and all fit well, on the CRF250L they were a perfect fit, the handlebar mount does swivel which makes the fit perfect and no bending of the bar is needed. I also got the 1" Tusk Handle Bar Risers that are priced at $19.75 if I remember correctly and they also fit the bike and no adjustment to the cables was needed, I did loosen the wires on the handlebars are relocated the nylon push clamps to give the wires more freedom. I got the rear rack made by Nomadic, it's the black tube type, $79.00 on eBay, looks and fit were very good, I have used their products before and no problems. I look and read about everyone bike here and buy what I like and works for me, we all have different ideas on what we want, so the forum helps me decide on what works for me.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #2063
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregitt View Post
I contacted Dobeck and he suggested adjusting the controller. GREEN/BLUE MODE 4 TO #1 position.
That sounds logical after I looked at the Dobeck website and read up on the EJK a little more. Adjusting the GREEN/BLUE mode might help the stalling issue......at least that's something to think about and try later if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregitt View Post
I have not done this because now I have adjusted my throttle style coming to a stop and it rarely does it..
I can see how just giving the bike a few blips of the throttle with the clutch pulled in would help and how the stalling might be overcome this way also.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #2064
Krono
Speed Junkie
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Heidiland
Oddometer: 193
About stalling, i had my share too here

-but occasionally, once for 500km if i had to make statistics

-i always use the same known brand (Shell), regular unleaded 95 (not the V-Power98).
Octane grades are not same here in Europe, but i dont know how..

- with stock exhaust and later, after installed FMF Q4 line

-Those stalling always occured when almost at stop, after noticeable engine breaking.

-Got more of them after corcked the FMF w/ a dB killer

-so i leaned a bit via EJK (now 1.5/1.5/3/...) seems to have cured the problem, as far as i noticed.

All this makes me suspect it'is caused more by a glitch in the engine managment (ECU) rather than by fuel quality.

Bah .. i can live with

L
__________________
SM510R

Krono screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 02:10 PM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #2065
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Tnutt, I saw you asked about the skid plate, I ordered the Flatland Racing Skid Plate from CRF's Only. It's $91.15 plus shipping. Reason for buying this plate was I liked the looks and a buddy of mine has one on his WR250R and it looks very nice, that sold me. As far as handguards, I went with the Tusk D-Flex sold by Rocky Mountain ATV-MC, $54.95 plus shipping. I have used these handguards on several bikes, including KLR's and DRZ's and all fit well, on the CRF250L they were a perfect fit, the handlebar mount does swivel which makes the fit perfect and no bending of the bar is needed. I also got the 1" Tusk Handle Bar Risers that are priced at $19.75 if I remember correctly and they also fit the bike and no adjustment to the cables was needed, I did loosen the wires on the handlebars are relocated the nylon push clamps to give the wires more freedom. I got the rear rack made by Nomadic, it's the black tube type, $79.00 on eBay, looks and fit were very good, I have used their products before and no problems. I look and read about everyone bike here and buy what I like and works for me, we all have different ideas on what we want, so the forum helps me decide on what works for me.

John
+1 on that John, lurked here for a while during the time waiting for my bike to get here. More and more things available for our bike all the time. I think that all the people who are waiting for a good deal on a used one shouldn't be holding their breath!
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #2066
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
About stalling, i had my share too here

-Those stalling always occured when almost at stop, after noticeable engine breaking.
That pretty much sums up how mine occured also.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #2067
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
The aluminum one I saw and liked was from like supreme racing or superior or something.
I bet you are talking about the skid plate from Emperor Racing, (formerly Scorpion Racing). I like that plate also. Here is a link to it.

http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/h...-1?pp=24&pp=24
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #2068
gaw777
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cali
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
That is spendy, I think with the kouba link in mine it's low enough for me to manage it better. I could always get the seat "shaved" but I don't like the idea of ruining my OEM seat just in case I decide to sell it. The way it sits now after bob80 installed the lowering link and lowered the front forks, I wouldn't want to lose much more clearance. And I'm 5'4 on a good day
I think my biggest problem was I'm used to the street bike and when coming to a stop on the CRF I sometimes forgot how tall it was and dumped it a couple times. I just have to watch where I park lol
Another option to help
http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...56&id=18216003

I have one of their seats on a different bike, really a great seat.

Or, just don't stop.
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #2069
Bob80
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
I bet you are talking about the skid plate from Emperor Racing, (formerly Scorpion Racing). I like that plate also. Here is a link to it.

http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/h...-1?pp=24&pp=24
X2....just waiting to hear a review from someone who already has it
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #2070
Telemarktumalo
Go Red Sox!
 
Telemarktumalo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bend, Oregon
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I'll contact Highway Dirtbikes and ask them about their hand guards for the Easton Bar. Thanks for the advice on the grips too.


Follow up: Paul at Highway Dirtbikes wrote me today and said that their top clamps will not work on the 35 mm Easton Bar. I'll keep looking.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015