Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2071
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
That is spendy, I think with the kouba link in mine it's low enough for me to manage it better. I could always get the seat "shaved" but I don't like the idea of ruining my OEM seat just in case I decide to sell it. The way it sits now after bob80 installed the lowering link and lowered the front forks, I wouldn't want to lose much more clearance. And I'm 5'4 on a good day
I think my biggest problem was I'm used to the street bike and when coming to a stop on the CRF I sometimes forgot how tall it was and dumped it a couple times. I just have to watch where I park lol
Another option to help
http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...56&id=18216003

I have one of their seats on a different bike, really a great seat.

Or, just don't stop.
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #2072
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
I bet you are talking about the skid plate from Emperor Racing, (formerly Scorpion Racing). I like that plate also. Here is a link to it.

http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/h...-1?pp=24&pp=24
X2....just waiting to hear a review from someone who already has it
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #2073
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I'll contact Highway Dirtbikes and ask them about their hand guards for the Easton Bar. Thanks for the advice on the grips too.

Follow up: Paul at Highway Dirtbikes wrote me today and said that their top clamps will not work on the 35 mm Easton Bar. I'll keep looking.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #2074
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
That is spendy, I think with the kouba link in mine it's low enough for me to manage it better. I could always get the seat "shaved" but I don't like the idea of ruining my OEM seat just in case I decide to sell it. The way it sits now after bob80 installed the lowering link and lowered the front forks, I wouldn't want to lose much more clearance. And I'm 5'4 on a good day
I think my biggest problem was I'm used to the street bike and when coming to a stop on the CRF I sometimes forgot how tall it was and dumped it a couple times. I just have to watch where I park lol
I agree. I'd never spend that kind of money on it either. I just saw it and figured I'd pass it on. Over $600 just for the front! I like the idea of just lowering the tree and seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Do you happen to remember the octane level/grade of the "bad" fuel you experienced? And could you explain the symptoms that you noticed?
Thx

Hummm........A visitor who noticed shitty gas in Nova Scotia??...this is kind of ironic, seeing that's where I'm from..It didn't happen to be Irving by any chance, I try to avoid it as much as possible (only by other peoples opinions, and bad experiences with it myself, in various different vehicles) They pretty much control the fuel distribution in these parts...Hope it didn't ruin your Cabot trail experience too bad
I do, it was 87 and it was the only type of fuel they had. Two pumps out front and pay inside. All my alarms were going off when I bought it but there seemed to be locals getting fuel there so.... I have no idea whether it would have been an issue if it was 91 or not. I put the bad gas in my old VW and it burned it up no problem. Didn't notice any water or anything else in when I siphoned but that likely would have went out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
I bet you are talking about the skid plate from Emperor Racing, (formerly Scorpion Racing). I like that plate also. Here is a link to it.

http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/h...-1?pp=24&pp=24
Yep you got it. That's the one. This one and the Zeta one look to be the smallest in the aluminum category. At least from photos. I never found any specs like weight and what not. If the AXP doesn't come out in March like the guy in France told me, I will likely get one of the two. Unless someone has better reports from actual usage. The flatland one is pretty nice but looks kinda big like the Ricochet one.

http://soloracer.com/crf250lplate.html
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #2075
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Follow up: Paul at Highway Dirtbikes wrote me today and said that their top clamps will not work on the 35 mm Easton Bar. I'll keep looking.
That's to bad. I was kinda hoping it would be different and I'd be sending back the ones I ordered. I got the ones with turn signals in the guards and will post it up once I get the bar and everything installed up there. I had to get the front tree mounts for the guards too. $60 just for that! Damn!!!!! Oh well. I guess get it done right the first time around and baring accidents I should be done with it. Hopefully hahahahaha

I'm still shocked at how big that bar is. Had it out and put it up next to the stock bar and it will give a little bit more rise. That is nice because I had some issues with standing up just not quite tall enough. I'm only 5'10" but have long torso and short arms so it was a bit awkward. sounds funny when i write that down hahaha
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #2076
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:

The top clamp won't fit.... But.....

If they sold the handguards seperately they would work with front mount brackets. They would just take some custom fitting.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #2077
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
That's to bad. I was kinda hoping it would be different and I'd be sending back the ones I ordered. I got the ones with turn signals in the guards and will post it up once I get the bar and everything installed up there. I had to get the front tree mounts for the guards too. $60 just for that! Damn!!!!!

I'm still shocked at how big that bar is. Had it out and put it up next to the stock bar and it will give a little bit more rise. That is nice because I had some issues with standing up just not quite tall enough. I'm only 5'10" but have long torso and short arms so it was a bit awkward. sounds funny when i write that down hahaha

The Cycra front mounts were only $32.00....
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #2078
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Yep you got it. That's the one. This one and the Zeta one look to be the smallest in the aluminum category. At least from photos. I never found any specs like weight and what not. If the AXP doesn't come out in March like the guy in France told me, I will likely get one of the two. Unless someone has better reports from actual usage. The flatland one is pretty nice but looks kinda big like the Ricochet one.

http://soloracer.com/crf250lplate.html

I have all three of the skid plates here (Ricochet, Zeta, and Flatland). The Flatland and Zeta are about the same exact size... the Ricochet is larger. Unfortunately my CRF250L hasn't been delivered yet so I haven't had a chance to install any of them yet. I'm a big fan of the Flatland stuff though... that's what I have on my WR250R and they make really nice products. I also had the Moose Racing skid plate on my R for awhile, which is the same as the AXP. It was nice, but it was also very expensive, and since its plastic, its flexible, and I could actually push the skid plate with my hand into the water pump... its that flexible. That may or may not be a good thing. I switched back to the Flatland Racing plate.

Here is the Flatland Racing plate on a CRF250L...

GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2079
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
If they sold the handguards seperately they would work with front mount brackets. It would just take some custom fitting.

I'm gonna get a measurement from them as far as total length but it looks like they would be even longer than others because of where they are designed to mount. That gives plenty of room for fitting! I missed that earlier in what you were saying. Damn!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #2080
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I have all three of the skid plates here (Ricochet, Zeta, and Flatland). The Flatland and Zeta are about the same exact size... the Ricochet is larger. Unfortunately my CRF250L hasn't been delivered yet so I haven't had a chance to install any of them yet. I'm a big fan of the Flatland stuff though... that's what I have on my WR250R and they make really nice products. I also had the Moose Racing skid plate on my R for awhile, which is the same as the AXP. It was nice, but it was also very expensive, and since its plastic, its flexible, and I could actually push the skid plate with my hand into the water pump... its that flexible. That may or may not be a good thing. I switched back to the Flatland Racing plate.

Here is the Flatland Racing plate on a CRF250L...

I'm so glad you told me!!!!! I wasn't sure on it but was just looking at the weight difference. If it's that flexible maybe it doesn't offer enough protection? Was that your feeling when you used it?

Also, the flatland appears to have recessed bolts. A big plus I would imagine. I just noticed that in the pic you put up.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #2081
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
I'm so glad you told me!!!!! I wasn't sure on it but was just looking at the weight difference. If it's that flexible maybe it doesn't offer enough protection? Was that your feeling when you used it?

Also, the flatland appears to have recessed bolts. A big plus I would imagine. I just noticed that in the pic you put up.
Truthfully, I think all of them probably provide adequate protection for most riders. The Moose was just something I tried, and it was nice, but one thing I did notice was that I could actually just push the outer piece right into the water pump. Its pretty flexible. It would still probably provide plenty of protection, but its not as rigid as the aluminum skid plates. And the Moose was expensive at right around $150. Some complain that the aluminum plates bend, and vibrate. There are going to be pro's and con's to any of them. I just really like the Flatland stuff... the welds and everything are really nice. Just a quality product made here in the USA.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #2082
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Truthfully, I think all of them probably provide adequate protection for most riders. The Moose was just something I tried, and it was nice, but one thing I did notice was that I could actually just push the outer piece right into the water pump. Its pretty flexible. It would still probably provide plenty of protection, but its not as rigid as the aluminum skid plates. And the Moose was expensive at right around $150. Some complain that the aluminum plates bend, and vibrate. There are going to be pro's and con's to any of them. I just really like the Flatland stuff... the welds and everything are really nice. Just a quality product made here in the USA.
Well, maybe that'll be my route. 100 Somalians is easier to bite on than from what sounds like at least 50% more for a piece of plastic. I'm really not even an aggressive rider. I wasn't even going to get one until i drug over a big ass log one day and put a hole in the plastic piece that came on it. Really made me think hahahaha
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #2083
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,548
Soon as I pay my wife's Christmas bills off, a Ricochet gun metal grey will be on it's way to Wisconsin

I've seen their stuff on friends bikes and it looks solid
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #2084
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesjive View Post
Tried to shy folks away from Easton, guess no one took me seriously..
Well the bar is over the top. The only limitation seems to be in handguard mounting and that is easy enough with the front mount for the tree. All handguards fit that way and it is more solid than attaching at the bend on an 1 1/8 bar. The only drawback is if you don't want to use their clamps/adapters.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #2085
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesjive View Post
Who want to buy expensive aftermarket parts, only to have to modify them to fit??

I noted that the HWY DB handguards would fit but likely need some adjustment/mods. I stated the top clamp wouldn't fit.

Handguards never fit right with every bar bend. It is normal to need adjust them some.

It all depends on what aftermarket part you are using with what other part(aftermarket???). I have custom fit many different parts together with great results.

It just takes time, planning, creativity and research. I make my own custom parts when needed also or have them made.

Some of us enjoy the challenge and end results of our labor.