Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #2086
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
The Cycra front mounts were only $32.00....
I know. I was able to catch my order before it shipped thankfully. I cancelled the front mount, hand protectors, and turn signal guards. I'll wait until I get the info from Highway Dirt Bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Soon as I pay my wife's Christmas bills off, a Ricochet gun metal grey will be on it's way to Wisconsin

I've seen their stuff on friends bikes and it looks solid
Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
If your looking for a relatively inexpensive 1 1/8" fatbar that will work with most aftermarket parts, try Trailtech woods bend X bars.
The regular bend is about the same sweep as a stock KTM bend, but taller- works great for the average rider.
The low bend is for more aggressive riders that spend most of their time perched over the bars.
http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_x-bars.html
I've been running them on most of my bikes for the last few years, they can take a beating.
No info on their site as to what handguard inside mount will fit- (Pro taper, Magura, Renthal, etc), but I've found the Magura style taper fits fine.
I have several pics if anyone's interested..
Sure, put 'em up.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #2087
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I run 89 octane, Chevron gas in mine, no issues to date.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2088
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
The Cycra front mounts were only $32.00....
That's funny cause I think cycra makes the zeta stuff too lol
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2089
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
I run 89 octane, Chevron gas in mine, no issues to date.
I too run Chevron and will go out of my way for it if realistic. Dealer told me to run 89 so I started with that. Then when I read the manual, I switched to 87 and didn't have any issues. Tried 91 on several tanks and didn't notice any difference. Dealer had a point though, he said for the mileage it is supposed to get it's cheap insurance. I guess i agree with his sentiment.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #2090
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
That's funny cause I think cycra makes the zeta stuff too lol
You know, I was just looking into which one to get and read that the cycra and zeta guards are interchangeable and that the zeta pro bends are "licensed" by cycra. I am guessing that really means made hahahaha
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #2091
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
I too run Chevron and will go out of my way for it if realistic. Dealer told me to run 89 so I started with that. Then when I read the manual, I switched to 87 and didn't have any issues. Tried 91 on several tanks and didn't notice any difference. Dealer had a point though, he said for the mileage it is supposed to get it's cheap insurance. I guess i agree with his sentiment.
Yep, Shell is also good gas... I use 89 octane just as added insurance due to my mods. With the relatively low compression ratio (compared to a WR250R), I doubt it would ever need 91 octane.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #2092
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesjive View Post
Who want to buy expensive aftermarket parts, only to have to modify them to fit??
I would
These bars are kinda unique in the fact of there engineering,they allow the use of additional straight area (control area) for the least amount of width.
They are very high so you better want higher bars
Once I get the ergos right (a few rides) I suspect I will add a composite perch to attach the loose ends
my cost including bars will be around $45. but it may take an evening.

Now try not to have size envy too

FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #2093
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Ceramic Coating

The ceramic coating on the Megabomb from BDSB, why is this better and worth the extra cost, as opposed to buying from a different source that is cheaper?
I looked back and found a few comments about this, but not much. Figured now that more people have purchased these products, there might be more input.
Worth the extra money?
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #2094
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
No. Gimmick marketing tactic.
Check myshop09 on ebay. i ordered yesterday.

There is a lot of nonsense on that website. Including the suggestion that using a CRF250X/R rear sprocket with 8mm bolts instead of 10 mm, through 10 mm holes in the hub, that they do not slip, that the tension of the bolts holds them in place.
Your decision but i would advise people not to do it. Mounting a sprocket with 8 mm bolts through a 10 mm hole, really.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #2095
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

You can purchase zeta triple clamp mounts at wheelingsupply.com
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #2096
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,237
I'm starting to look for a new bike for the girlfriend, this is one of the bikes I'm considering. She told me to just pick out whatever I think is best. She's 5'4", around 140 or 150 lbs.

Anyways, I'm trying to get an idea on performance. How would this bike compare to an older xr250? I'm picturing the 2 bikes having similiar performance, both motor and suspension. Maybe a slight performance edge to the crf, but a bit heavier?

Other bikes I'm considering are all older designs and air cooled, this is the only newer one of the bunch. Xt225, super sherpa, maybe klr 250, that stuff.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #2097
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I think the XT225, or the Sherpa, would be a better choice, if I remember correctly the KLR 250 does not have electric start, maybe not all models. Since you didn't mention her riding skills, it's hard for us to pick a bike and at only 5'4" the CRF250L is going to be very tall in the saddle. Why not a TW200, 25" seat height to start with, if she is new to riding. I think by the way she answered your question on which bike to get, you are picking the one you like, but won't fit her. Answer is, get one she can put her feet flat on the ground, or she won't ride it.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #2098
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Can you post a link for the Zeta bracket?
Did you mount the Easton bars? I'd really appreciate a picture of it and Zeta hand-guards.

Regarding skid plate,
I have the AXP plastic one and I prefer it to all the others I've seen. Maybe it will be worth to wait.

You made your point across, but you're ignoring that these Easton bars + adapter cost 40$.
You can't get a decent set of 7/8 bars for that much.
A fat-bar + adapter would cost over 100$ and you'd still have to get hand guards that can clamp to the fat bar.
Even if you have to bend/fabricate the hand guards (or buy a 30$ bracket) it's still worth it.

If you have any other comments about Easton bars, I'd like to see it. Mounting a GPS isn't a deciding factor for me.
These Easton bars are awsome far superior to no name untested junk and cheap if ya can't find a way to mount accessories that suks for you cause there are Many options looking at them I'm thinking the stock zeta bar clamps might even work they narrow down quick to 7/8" 2 of us are doing trial runs this weeken will try to post pics
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #2099
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'm starting to look for a new bike for the girlfriend, this is one of the bikes I'm considering. She told me to just pick out whatever I think is best. She's 5'4", around 140 or 150 lbs.

Anyways, I'm trying to get an idea on performance. How would this bike compare to an older xr250? I'm picturing the 2 bikes having similiar performance, both motor and suspension. Maybe a slight performance edge to the crf, but a bit heavier?

Other bikes I'm considering are all older designs and air cooled, this is the only newer one of the bunch. Xt225, super sherpa, maybe klr 250, that stuff.

If you could find a real clean CRF230L that's what I would pick for her. I had one before the 250 and it is a fantastic little bike.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2100
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I think the XT225, or the Sherpa, would be a better choice, if I remember correctly the KLR 250 does not have electric start, maybe not all models. Since you didn't mention her riding skills, it's hard for us to pick a bike and at only 5'4" the CRF250L is going to be very tall in the saddle. Why not a TW200, 25" seat height to start with, if she is new to riding. I think by the way she answered your question on which bike to get, you are picking the one you like, but won't fit her. Answer is, get one she can put her feet flat on the ground, or she won't ride it.

John
Makes sense. The klr 250 is kick only, you are correct.

As for her riding skill, she's ok but not good if that makes sense. She has been playing on a ttr125 for 2 years now and still gets a bit shaky on the woods trails. Lack of confidence more than anything. She has taken the msf course and has her liscense.

The reason she's letting me pick is because She wanted a ninja 250, and I bought it for her. She wrecked it on her first time out, now she's scared of it. She's ridden the ttr on the road with no trouble, and even had it out in the snow last week. She took my klr 650 for a small ride once. She's just afraid of the little ninja. I wanted to get her an xt, but she didn't want it at the time. Now she said I was right, and is letting me pick the next one.

Before I buy anything I'll make sure she's comfortable and can flat foot it. I was thinking about the 250l mainly because its getting a good reputation on here, and would probably be better for a short highway run than the others.

I think ill look for a smaller one though. Thanks for the tips. And it is true that I probably will ride her bike some, but it still has to be her bike first.

Next is to try and get rid of a ninja 250 and free up some funding.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote