Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #2101
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Since you didn't mention her riding skills, it's hard for us to pick a bike and at only 5'4" the CRF250L is going to be very tall in the saddle. Why not a TW200, 25" seat height to start with, if she is new to riding. I think by the way she answered your question on which bike to get, you are picking the one you like

John
True enough...with the CRF250L being high in the saddle for her, and if she is not experienced, I would think she would get discouraged quickly. My wife is only 5'4" also, and I thought it was too high for her . She somehow manages it pretty well on paved/dirt roads, but not so well on the rough uneven trails, however, she has a fair bit of experience on streetbikes, and we figured that there would be lowering options available. (which we went with the Kouba link, as mentioned a page or 2 back) Haven't tested it out much since installation, but quite surprised on how much it actually lowered the bike.

I would also think about the type of roads and trails in which you'll be traveling. If your into a lot of rugged, rutted wood stuff, then the CRF250L is most likely going to discourage her with its height. However, if your into paved/dirt/fire road/light trail type riding, and with the Kouba link-forks lowered, the CRF250L may be the bike for her.

This is just my opinion,and we are just average riders, we bought the CRF's for a change as there is many dirt/fire roads in our area, and they tend to be smoother than some of the paved roads here (no joke)..
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #2102
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Has there been any more issues with the stalling.....or possible fixes for it? I know it was discussed some awhile back..I had my first stall today going down the road about 45 mph, let off the throttle to slow down, shifted down through the gears, had the clutch in to grab first gear for a sharp uphill right turn and it just plain died.......like others have said, it was like shutting off the kill switch. I was maybe doing 5 mph when it shut off. I pulled over, hit the starter and it fired right back up. Kinda disconcerting you know, especially if someone was following you and all of a sudden you're dead in the water and get rear ended. That was my first ride after filling up at a Valero with 91 octane unleaded. Also the first ride with the FMF Q4 slip on installed. I also have the Dobeck fuel programmer that is on the factory preset settings. Maybe I should try gasoline from somewhere else next fill up as I don't think the Q4 pipe has anything to do with it. It seems to run good other wise. Or maybe program more fuel at the idle setting with the Dobeck? Who knows, maybe it will never do it again.....but I'm a little leary now.
I have had mine stall several times by reving the bike out in say third then pulling in the clutch as I chop the gas. I also have gotten it to backfire several times when chopping the gas after a hill climb. Bike is bone stock but ridden extremely hard, 1500 miles.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #2103
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I think the XT225, or the Sherpa, would be a better choice, if I remember correctly the KLR 250 Answer is, get one she can put her feet flat on the ground, or she won't ride it.

John
+1 the one she can flat foot, a lot of other women riders like the xt225 (there is a good aftermarket for it as well ) because of its low seat height, and friendly trail manners - I'll throw out the Suzuki DR200 as well, however I'm lucky that I'm tall enough to just about flat foot my CRF250L

In Loving Memory of Cruzin2B 1953 - 2014
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #2104
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I would
These bars are kinda unique in the fact of there engineering,they allow the use of additional straight area (control area) for the least amount of width.
They are very high so you better want higher bars
Once I get the ergos right (a few rides) I suspect I will add a composite perch to attach the loose ends
my cost including bars will be around $45. but it may take an evening.

Now try not to have size envy too

Nice!!!! I'm really happy seeing them on . you gonna get the cycra front mounts for then?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #2105
Bob80
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
I have had mine stall several times by reving the bike out in say third then pulling in the clutch as I chop the gas. I also have gotten it to backfire several times when chopping the gas after a hill climb. Bike is bone stock but ridden extremely hard, 1500 miles.
chop the gas? does this mean "let off" or "give er"....sorry for my misinterpretations...
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #2106
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes going from full throttle to 0 by just letting go of the throttle.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #2107
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Can someone tell me top speed in each gear on a stock bike? I hate not having a tach and I have no way to guess on RPM....this is my first single cyl.

When do you guys normally shift when riding normal? And riding hard?
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #2108
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Can someone tell me top speed in each gear on a stock bike? I hate not having a tach and I have no way to guess on RPM....this is my first single cyl.

When do you guys normally shift when riding normal? And riding hard?
Typically I prefer to bounce it off the limiter at all times hahaha. Seriously just ride it how your comfortable your not gonna hurt it
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #2109
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'm starting to look for a new bike for the girlfriend, this is one of the bikes I'm considering. She told me to just pick out whatever I think is best. She's 5'4", around 140 or 150 lbs.

Anyways, I'm trying to get an idea on performance. How would this bike compare to an older xr250? I'm picturing the 2 bikes having similiar performance, both motor and suspension. Maybe a slight performance edge to the crf, but a bit heavier?

Other bikes I'm considering are all older designs and air cooled, this is the only newer one of the bunch. Xt225, super sherpa, maybe klr 250, that stuff.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
I'm 5' 6" and upgraded from the xt225 to the CRF. The CRF is a much better bike, but it is also much more modern. However, I could flat foot the XT, which I have no hope of doing on the CRF. The XT was definitely a great little bike, and I reckon it suit your little lady much better than the CRF.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #2110
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

in case anyone is looking for a budget boost in performance, I ordered the big gun eco slip on for 185 shipped, ejk tuner for 213 shipped, and a 13t sprocket for 15 shipped. For just a touch over 400 I'm expecting 95% of the gains.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #2111
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
I'm 5' 6" and upgraded from the xt225 to the CRF. The CRF is a much better bike, but it is also much more modern. However, I could flat foot the XT, which I have no hope of doing on the CRF. The XT was definitely a great little bike, and I reckon it suit your little lady much better than the CRF.
Ok thanks. I was hoping to get into the more modern 250l over the older designs, one of the main things that made me consider the 250. I was thinking I could lower it some for her, but it doesn't sound like ill be able to do that enough.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #2112
Bob80
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Typically I prefer to bounce it off the limiter at all times hahaha. Seriously just ride it how your comfortable your not gonna hurt it
...X2...go by sound/feel, unless you have a hearing impairment, then you may need the assistance of an aftermarket tach which some people on here have been purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
in case anyone is looking for a budget boost in performance, I ordered the big gun eco slip on for 185 shipped, ejk tuner for 213 shipped, and a 13t sprocket for 15 shipped. For just a touch over 400 I'm expecting 95% of the gains.
Cool....look forward to hearing/seeing a review..and if it solves your stalling issues...

Bob80 screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 02:58 PM
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #2113
Fytclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Height

I'm 5'4" and I slid the forks up about 3/4" and set the sag all the way down (it was about 8 full turns of the spring nut) and I can come close to almost flat footing with my left leg in my comp five's. I'm sure it will be better once I put a seat concepts seat on it.

What is her inseam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Ok thanks. I was hoping to get into the more modern 250l over the older designs, one of the main things that made me consider the 250. I was thinking I could lower it some for her, but it doesn't sound like ill be able to do that enough.

Fytclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #2114
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Can you post a link for the Zeta bracket?
Did you mount the Easton bars? I'd really appreciate a picture of it and Zeta hand-guards.

Regarding skid plate,
I have the AXP plastic one and I prefer it to all the others I've seen. Maybe it will be worth to wait.

You made your point across, but you're ignoring that these Easton bars + adapter cost 40$.
You can't get a decent set of 7/8 bars for that much.
A fat-bar + adapter would cost over 100$ and you'd still have to get hand guards that can clamp to the fat bar.
Even if you have to bend/fabricate the hand guards (or buy a 30$ bracket) it's still worth it.

If you have any other comments about Easton bars, I'd like to see it. Mounting a GPS isn't a deciding factor for me.
Here it is.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/5/11/498.shtml

Yeah, I am having a time deciding on the skid plate. You got pics? Have you dumped it yet with the axp?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #2115
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Bent one of my stock footpegs (they suck), replaced it with DRC Wide Footpegs - the extra width increased confidence and feels much nicer when standing up. Thanks to srmoto.com

DRC Wide Footpegs VS. OEM by Guerillah, on Flickr
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote