ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #211
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u
 
SugarDust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Firestone, Colorado
Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2 View Post
My rear rack arrived today! Bought it from a vendor here, bikerzbits.com.

How long did it take to arrive?
__________________
COHVCO/BRC/AMA

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #212
26.2
Adventurer
 
26.2's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: A swing state
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Very nice, did it come from Thailand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
How long did it take to arrive?
Ordered it on September 6th. It shipped from Bangkok, Thailand.
Would have arrived sooner if the USPS didn't send it to the wrong post office. The package was address clear and correct.

Missent:
26.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #213
13Moose-man
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Central Maine
Oddometer: 35
Just picked up a crf250l two weeks ago and discovered this site so I figured I'd sign up. Great site. A little over 200 miles and I love this bike! I used to have a drz400s and got rid of it 5 years ago. For the past year I was missing that bike and when I saw Honda was coming out with this I had to get one. The drz was a good bike but overall I'm liking this bike even more even with its smaller engine displacement. Its all stock right now but that will probably change in the future. I'm debating on getting the fmf complete exhaust but not too sure about repacking intervals. I've heard every 20 hours. Ouch! I also use the bike to commute to work (20 minutes one way) so I really don't want to have to repack the freakin thing every month! I was wondering would every 3,000-4,000 miles be ok? Any info or advice would be great. Thanks.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #214
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Moose-man View Post
Just picked up a crf250l two weeks ago and discovered this site so I figured I'd sign up. Great site. A little over 200 miles and I love this bike! I used to have a drz400s and got rid of it 5 years ago. For the past year I was missing that bike and when I saw Honda was coming out with this I had to get one. The drz was a good bike but overall I'm liking this bike even more even with its smaller engine displacement. Its all stock right now but that will probably change in the future. I'm debating on getting the fmf complete exhaust but not too sure about repacking intervals. I've heard every 20 hours. Ouch! I also use the bike to commute to work (20 minutes one way) so I really don't want to have to repack the freakin thing every month! I was wondering would every 3,000-4,000 miles be ok? Any info or advice would be great. Thanks.
Congrats on the bike! This guy didn't repack his until 6k and one year's time with no seemingly adverse effect.
http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...packing-fmf-q4
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #215
dsn11487
Adventurer
 
dsn11487's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
I got one of those tachs, very handy... So where does thing redline? This is my first thumper in what seems like forever so I'm still trying to adjust to exactly where it needs and wants to be ridden...
Not sure but the rev limiter is about 30 mph in first gear.
__________________
2005 FJR (the blue ones are faster)
2013 CRF250L
dsn11487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #216
dsn11487
Adventurer
 
dsn11487's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 52
Me and my dad picked up two at the same time saturday. We are already in love. Currently going through the breaking procedure, ride it like you stole it, dump oil, ride it like you stole it again, dump oil...over and over again.

I can't wait to start accessorizing. One thing that surprised me was 600-700 mile oil changes from the dealer. Have you guys heard that as well? What if you run synthetic, how much longer?
__________________
2005 FJR (the blue ones are faster)
2013 CRF250L
dsn11487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #217
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CheesyRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: White Bear Lake, MN
Oddometer: 468
Congratulations on being in love! I'm sure you and your dad will be very happy.

The 600 mile oil change is for the break-in service only. After that I believe Honda recommends 8000 mile oil change intervals.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200R Classic
CheesyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #218
mayner
Postal
 
mayner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Ventura, CA
Oddometer: 146
Pitbike at 2012 BUB SpeedTrials

Took the brand new 2-fiddy to Bonneville this year to use as a pitbike for my friend's effort at the 2012 BUB Speedtrials. He got his record, 117mph avg for the MVG650 class (1955 BSA Golden Flash) and we got to use this brand new little Honda for a pitbike. It worked fantastic! The link will take you to various pics of the 250, on the trailer going, around the pits, and after I got her home and all the salt was washed off. ;-)

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...02012/PITBIKE/

I have a skidplate on order and I'm still contemplating the FMF pipe and can. That is pretty dear if you ask me. I don't love the sound the stock bike makes but I'm not offended by it either. At least not 700 bucks offended. ;-)
__________________
1983 VF750F Honda Interceptor
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere (S10)
2012 Honda CRF250L
mayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #219
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayner View Post
...and I'm still contemplating the FMF pipe and can. That is pretty dear if you ask me. I don't love the sound the stock bike makes but I'm not offended by it either. At least not 700 bucks offended. ;-)
Exactly... what are you going to get with the FMF pipe/system, other than a bit more noise? - it's still a 250 and will always be a 250... if you want more power - just buy a bigger engined bike!!!

I'm all for swapping out a tail pipe if it saves weight and to [help] improve performance - but seriously, we are talking about a four-stroke 250cc D/S bike here... even if you modded the airbox, fitted a power commander and a dozen other things, it will never make much more than the high 20's in hp, so really, why bother?

If it really is only for making more noise (so what, it sounds like a bigger/faster bike?!) - that is the one thing that is going to get trails closed down... sure if you are razzing around in the desert it might not matter so much, but anywhere else it is the #1 thing that people complain about...

Not preaching, just saying, like...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #220
roundtripping
Adventourist
 
roundtripping's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Exactly... what are you going to get with the FMF pipe/system, other than a bit more noise? - it's still a 250 and will always be a 250... if you want more power - just buy a bigger engined bike!!!

I'm all for swapping out a tail pipe if it saves weight and to [help] improve performance - but seriously, we are talking about a four-stroke 250cc D/S bike here... even if you modded the airbox, fitted a power commander and a dozen other things, it will never make much more than the high 20's in hp, so really, why bother?

If it really is only for making more noise (so what, it sounds like a bigger/faster bike?!) - that is the one thing that is going to get trails closed down... sure if you are razzing around in the desert it might not matter so much, but anywhere else it is the #1 thing that people complain about...

Not preaching, just saying, like...

Jx
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Try in Jo momma, they like feeding the trolls over there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
12 F658GS
13 Honda CRF250L


My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #221
dsn11487
Adventurer
 
dsn11487's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 52
Where are you guys getting your oil filters? My local dealer didn't even have it in there system. Of course we call them Honda Worst for a reason. Are they that incompetent? I'd like to purchase about 6.
__________________
2005 FJR (the blue ones are faster)
2013 CRF250L
dsn11487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #222
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Des Moines, WA
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Try in Jo momma, they like feeding the trolls over there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
What he says is reality. Although, continue with your delusion.

Phil
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #223
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn11487 View Post
Where are you guys getting your oil filters? My local dealer didn't even have it in there system. Of course we call them Honda Worst for a reason. Are they that incompetent? I'd like to purchase about 6.

The oil filter has the same part number as used on the CBR250R. The L wasn't in the system either when I purchased several weeks ago at the dealer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=962
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #224
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 110
Hello all! I picked this bike up at St. Joe Honda back on August 22nd and therefore decided I'd join the other inmates here on the ADV forums. It's not my first dual sport as I had a new XL175 back when I was a youngster in 1974. Boy, have things changed for the better.....this bike is pretty sweet compared to that old XL......but I sure had a ton of fun on it back then and look forward to many more good times on the CRF. I've had street bikes, ATV's and snowmobiles in between but I've returned to my true love.....dual sports! I've haven't done anything to the CRF but remove the seat strap....man, that thing was in a bad place! I'm just watching the threads transpire on here as new products are released to see if there's anything I might want to add to it. I already know that I'll probably replace the front sprocket for a JT 13 tooth. First gear is pretty tall for any slow plugging along on the trail.

Here are a couple of shots of the new bike in the backyard. I think it's a keeper!



Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #225
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Exactly... what are you going to get with the FMF pipe/system, other than a bit more noise? - it's still a 250 and will always be a 250... if you want more power - just buy a bigger engined bike!!!

I'm all for swapping out a tail pipe if it saves weight and to [help] improve performance - but seriously, we are talking about a four-stroke 250cc D/S bike here... even if you modded the airbox, fitted a power commander and a dozen other things, it will never make much more than the high 20's in hp, so really, why bother?

If it really is only for making more noise (so what, it sounds like a bigger/faster bike?!) - that is the one thing that is going to get trails closed down... sure if you are razzing around in the desert it might not matter so much, but anywhere else it is the #1 thing that people complain about...

Not preaching, just saying, like...

Jx
One thing to keep in mind about intake and exhaust mods is not to focus solely on top end horsepower figures. Most 4-stroke engines respond very well to these mods for the improvement of throttle response, low end torque, and overall driveability enjoyment. A handful of small but important mods might indeed only add a couple of horsepower, but where, when, and how that power is distributed in the powerband is what can make a given bike much more pleasurable and useful depending on how you ride.

The other two comparable category bikes like the WRR and KLX have proven the benefit of such mods. I have two friends who have the WRR, and they installed a new lower restriction muffler, an airbox mod, and a programmer. Wow!...I was both impressed and jealous. I have a KLX250S with a KLX300 cylinder. I have a full Muzzy exhaust, all airbox mods, and just installed a Mikuni TM36 pumper carb. I also say "Wow!" to how the bike runs and performs now. The TM36 carb costs no more than a programmer, and the jetting knowledge for installing one on a KLX is well known and basically makes the installation a plug-and-play issue.

The main point is that not everyone will use their bike in the same way, and not everyone will want all or some of the mods that are available. Nothing wrong with that. But to argue that many or all of these mods don't bring substantive performance and enjoyment returns is a bit of an argument against logic. The Honda is probably going to respond in similar if not exact manner to the type of intake and exhaust mods that many apply to the WRR and KLX. There's no requirement for owners of these bikes to apply any of these mods, but don't poo-poo them based on a personal bias.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014